LaunchBox Community Forums

7.8-beta-9 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Per the playlist media, I'm tempted to rename the categories so that the existing Platforms categories support both platforms and playlists. Thoughts?

Hmm. What do you have in mind specifically?

Personally I don't think they're really interchangeable - I know the option is available to combine them but they're for two very different purposes in my view and never the two shall meet in my library haha

I think it might be a little weird having them lumped together in terms of media categorization/separation. Presumably people looking for media for one or the other are, well, looking for one or the other; and having them mixed together could make that more difficult.

14 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks @ALIE; I see what I did wrong there. I'll fix it for the next beta. :)

Sounds good. When trying with a controller I get the press key hang like @neil9000 posted. I think I posted a picture in my previous post. When using keyboard I can assign keys to them but nothing happens. 

Edited by ALIE

Something else I just noticed today; if scanning for Added ROMs for All Platforms, the process gets hung up on ScummVM, which is not a ROM-based platform and shouldn't be in this process, as MS-DOS is not. I have to close the program and re-open it to continue (it doesn't hang the program but just froze the progress bar for three-four minutes, so I don't have to force close it in Task Manager), and I'm now sort of discouraged from using that option until it can be fixed to exclude ScummVM (If MS-DOS is also part of the bug, then I don't know about that because the process didn't get to it).

Is this something I should put into BitBucket?

6 minutes ago, EazyCheeze1978 said:

VLC. Hmm... I don't know, because pretty much everything is standard setup as far as video, as far as I know anyway. Does BigBox rely on having the latest video drivers for best results, or should I download the K-Lite Codec Pack?

The codec pack shouldn't make any difference at all when using VLC, because it doesn't use the system's codecs. Upgrading video drivers is always a good idea.

7 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Hmm. What do you have in mind specifically?

Personally I don't think they're really interchangeable - I know the option is available to combine them but they're for two very different purposes in my view and never the two shall meet in my library haha

I think it might be a little weird having them lumped together in terms of media categorization/separation. Presumably people looking for media for one or the other are, well, looking for one or the other; and having them mixed together could make that more difficult.

Yeah, I think I'm convinced. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EazyCheeze1978 said:

Something else I just noticed today; if scanning for Added ROMs for All Platforms, the process gets hung up on ScummVM, which is not a ROM-based platform and shouldn't be in this process, as MS-DOS is not. I have to close the program and re-open it to continue (it doesn't hang the program but just froze the progress bar for three-four minutes, so I don't have to force close it in Task Manager), and I'm now sort of discouraged from using that option until it can be fixed to exclude ScummVM (If MS-DOS is also part of the bug, then I don't know about that because the process didn't get to it).

Is this something I should put into BitBucket?

Ah, yeah, that's worth ticketing. Good find. I don't think I've run into the same thing for my ScummVM games, but we'll need to get it fixed.

Is there not a way to accomplish an "OR" search across different fields via auto-playlists? I just now started messing them.

If I have:

Developer - Contains - Cave

It shows all games with Cave in the developer field.

If I have:

Developer - Contains - Cave
Publisher - Contains - Cave

The playlist then shows only games that have Cave in both the developer and publisher fields. Is there a way to make it populate based on all titles that contain "Cave" in either the developer or the publisher fields?

Okay, the blanking out of views when changing them is still happening, and now is to the point that sometimes when I hit B to go back to the Options menu to try to quit, I get into an endless loop of going back to the same view (though one of the screens I hit B on is blank, so that would probably be the Options screen I need). It's sort of hard to describe when it happens as it seems to happen at random, but only when changing views. Very odd.

10 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Is there not a way to accomplish an "OR" search across different fields via auto-playlists? I just now started messing them.

If I have:

Developer - Contains - Cave

It shows all games with Cave in the developer field.

If I have:

Developer - Contains - Cave
Publisher - Contains - Cave

The playlist then shows only games that have Cave in both the developer and publisher fields. Is there a way to make it populate based on all titles that contain "Cave" in either the developer or the publisher fields?

Ah, not currently. Though that is another interesting use case. As previously discussed, I won't be adding a bunch of complicated AND or OR logic to it in an effort to keep it easy to use. What we *could* do to address this particular use case is add a field for "Developer or Publisher".

12 minutes ago, EazyCheeze1978 said:

Okay, the blanking out of views when changing them is still happening, and now is to the point that sometimes when I hit B to go back to the Options menu to try to quit, I get into an endless loop of going back to the same view (though one of the screens I hit B on is blank, so that would probably be the Options screen I need). It's sort of hard to describe when it happens as it seems to happen at random, but only when changing views. Very odd.

Out of curiosity, do you use a game controller? If so, does it still happen if you do everything with the keyboard?

Just now, EazyCheeze1978 said:

I have one, an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, and that is what I use mainly... I don't know the keys to accept/go back/change views or I would sure test that out for you :)

I'd still appreciate it if you could, because that will really help me pinpoint the issue. You can check or set the key mappings easily enough under Options > Key Mappings. It's just arrow keys, Enter, and Escape by default for navigation.

Beta 10 is out now guys; Big Box now supports adding and removing games from playlists via the game details screen. I'm also really hoping (once again) that I've fixed the side bar sorting bug, so let me know.

Next I'm going to get back to the arcade playlists. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Out of curiosity, do you use a game controller? If so, does it still happen if you do everything with the keyboard?

Just to jump in here, I had a similar problem the other day. One of my systems had the wrong view, so I was cycling through them (Y on my controller) and it kept showing me the same view over and over, it would fade to black and come back with the same view. I just did a restart and haven't seen it since.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Ah, not currently. Though that is another interesting use case. As previously discussed, I won't be adding a bunch of complicated AND or OR logic to it in an effort to keep it easy to use. What we *could* do to address this particular use case is add a field for "Developer or Publisher".

I think that would be a decent compromise.

Since it already treats it as an "OR" across multiple uses of the same field I think that would cover the majority of use scenarios. I'll try to think of any potential exceptions :P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 10 is out now guys; Big Box now supports adding and removing games from playlists via the game details screen. I'm also really hoping (once again) that I've fixed the side bar sorting bug, so let me know.

Next I'm going to get back to the arcade playlists. :)

From a quick glance, it looks like my platforms are sorting correctly now, but my playlists are not if I have the All item enabled. Without the All item, everything sorts fine.

• Like 1