LaunchBox Community Forums

Series of Unfortunate Events; Massive Data Loss Advice

fromlostdays

Okay I have a 6TB my duo from a few years ago I had thought that the 16's hadn't been released yet and if you are getting the 16 for the price of the 12 you are getting a pretty good deal there. $100 off is a great discount

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

Just now, fromlostdays said:

The paranoia here makes me feel right at home hahahaha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You kidding? The FCC just reversed itself and will now allow ISPs to funnel your data along to advertisers. I'm researching VPNs as we speak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

What, you don't have a bunker and a generator to play all your old video games when the post apocalypse comes? Pffsh...

It's not that big a deal, but the main point of having triple redundancy (primary, local backup, cloud backup) is to account for holes in your risk management plan. I'm getting increasingly leery of cloud backup and don't have anything sufficiently offsite, so backing up in a way that allows for recovery from fire, flood, and limited earthquake damage means I've reduced my risk by a sizable amount for reasonable cost. I'm also not just backing up the gaming but design documents, records, and such.

This is actually part of what I do professionally. I figure out how to use communications to reduce the probability rate of a midair collision to 1x10^-9 accidents per flight hour (or something in that ballpark). That's how the world's civilian airspace is designed.

Edited by Bedwyr

5 hours ago, Patham said:

@DOS76 It's a WD Mybook Duo. It's actually 2 8TB drives you can use as RAID but I'm going to use the full 16TB for backup.

Be careful with this: if they are two disks and you see them as one 16TB HD, it means that they are in a Raid 0 configuration. Failure of one disk means that you will probably lose data on both...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:
What, you don't have a bunker and a generator to play all your old video games when the post apocalypse comes? Pffsh...

This has been my exact argument to the SO as to why I put so much time into this. I'm like just wait until we go broke and cant afford the Internet, or are living in a bunker. You gonna be glad I did this.

To further that, when we got that flooding last year and the water was coming up to the house and we had to evacuate, during that moment of panic of what to grab, I grabbed ... ironically the hard drive that started this thread, now that I think about it... my nvidia sheild tablet plus controller, 3ds, some pop tarts, water and a change of cloths. I didn't have to think twice about what I needed hahahaha

Edit, that's not actually ironic, I'm aware of that, but I'm not changing it. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Edited by fromlostdays

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes.   16TB...  I know it is easy to fill up I have a few TB full already on my machine.   But it is posts like these where I start to feel old.   Anyone  remember the 110 KB floppy drives? 

Oh, and about a VPN,  yeah,   I can't life without one being here in China kinda makes it mandatory to stay connected to the outside world.  I'm using ExpressVPN.   I bit pricey, but good service.

Edited by shadowdragon

5 hours ago, shadowdragon said:

Anyone  remember the 110 KB floppy drives? 

We had a C64 when I was a kid and a 1541 floppy drive - those disks were 170kb :P We never had a datasette drive but I think those were about 100kb per-side. We had a few cartridges but generally the Epyx Fast Load cartridge remained plugged in because most of our stuff was on floppy.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2017 at 0:46 PM, Patham said:

I don't go anywhere without my VPN, I've been using and happy with PIA for a long time. I also use DuckDuckGo as my search engine of choice.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Yeah, that seems to be the primary candidate at this point. Tunnel Bear's free option appears to be sinking it for me as IT admins are blocking the service far too often.

7 hours ago, Patham said:

I tried a few before I settled on PIA. Lots of gateways so if you happen on a slow one it's easy to switch. Most of the time I just auto-connect and I'm good to go. I've been with them for over 3 years now.

Not many blocking incidents?

• Like 1

For US residents:

Ah and the news just came down the pike. US Congress just passed a law overturning FCC regulation and preventing future regulation that bars your ISP from selling your internet browsing history and data.

What this will do:

- Your packets can't be read on https sites. That data is already encrypted. For instance this forum's data is encrypted.

- Data on non https sites are open for logging, aggregating, and passing along to your ISP whether you wish this to happen or not.

- https or not, every single site you visit, if the bill is signed (it will), is visible to your ISP and your browsing habits may be passed on. To use some common examples, the fact that you visit an LGBTQ support site commonly is visible. Likewise the fact that you're visiting the Mayo Clinic's medical encyclopedia. And the fact that you visit LaunchBox frequently.

- In reality it returns things to status quo ante... sort of. Strictly speaking things are the way they were before the US FCC barred ISPs from logging and selling your information. The real change is that ISPs now have the confidence that such regulations preventing them from selling data will be prohibited by law. The likelihood of ISPs engaging in this activity and compromising your data is now extremely high (they lobbied hard for this).

The best practice to take, and one which I'm researching as I described, is to find a VPN that has a policy of not logging your data. This effectively blocks your ISP from sniffing anything you do.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Patham said:

That's cool. I just thought @Bedwyr might be interested in the privacy issues is all.

Thanks for the link. I think I agree with the general thrust of his argument, but I don't see a reasonable alternative there. I'm a little surprised and disappointed at the small difference between basic and full. Unfortunately, while I could go to Linux Mint again I don't think it's in the cards here.

I'm not dropping Win 10 due to the increased security methods over Win 7/8. However this does give pause.

I used to dual boot Mint on my laptop and got rid of it now that 80% of Linux dev I can do through the Bash subsystem. I don't even need github or putty installed. I can just ssh or do whatever on the command line. No cygwin or anything necessary.

• 3 years later...

Before looking at recovering data, there are a few steps that can be done to confirm that the data is gone.

If you can find the data through search, it may have been reparented to another record, resulting in it disappearing from the expected related list.