LaunchBox Community Forums

I am an absolute noob

Sir_Oswyn

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Unfortunately for legal reasons we cannot tell you where to get roms but Google is your friend. There is a certain paradise for emus though that a good place.

That makes total sense I should have thought that thank you for responding though

My best suggestion would be to seek out No-Intro rom sets, and then Redump and TOSEC for systems not covered by No-Intro, but you'll need to stick to Google searches, sorry. Oh, and MAME would be MAME .184 non-merged or split. Split has been my go to for up to version .182, but starting with .183 split was broken for me, so I suggest non-mergerd for .183 and .184 (non-merged was new as of .183). Skip the rom merged sets as they don't work with LaunchBox, but the CHD set can only be found merged.

9 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

My best suggestion would be to seek out No-Intro rom sets, and then Redump and TOSEC for systems not covered by No-Intro, but you'll need to stick to Google searches, sorry. Oh, and MAME would be MAME .184 non-merged or split. Split has been my go to for up to version .182, but starting with .183 split was broken for me, so I suggest non-mergerd for .183 and .184 (non-merged was new as of .183). Skip the rom merged sets as they don't work with LaunchBox, but the CHD set can only be found merged.

Is there a way to a .nes file I've been searching but I can't really find anything I don't know if it's actually possible

1 minute ago, Sir_Oswyn said:

So I downloaded “Super Mario Bros. (Japan, USA).nes”  and in the tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4NieHGwbo It has you put in two different types of files but I only have a .nes  file  I'm wondering if there's a way to convert the file to the files that I need for the tutorial

Well that tutorial is for SNES not NES, so it wont work anyway. A .NES file is a NES rom so you need a NES emulator to run it. That is the only file you need though. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Oswyn said:

No I have never done anything with emulators in my life this is the first time

Well for each different system you want to emulate you will also need a emulator for that system snes, nes, megadrive, playstation etc. Or you can use retroarch which is a program that includes multiple emulators in one program. As this is new to you that might be a bit more advanced for you, but is what I personally would suggest. It runs most systems all the way up to PlayStation.

Edited by neil9000

When i do launchbox i go after hyperspin xml from there i see what roms i have or are missing for every system im adding

But even if you google after that paradise or no-intro tosec redump some roms on some systems are very difficult to find