LaunchBox Community Forums

Quite a few noob questions here

candycane

- i installed launchbox on my C drive SSD but its starting to take up too much space. How can i move it to another drive?

- I used the wizard to install turbografx16 roms using the recommended emulator (retroarch) but when i try and play them nothing happens at all.

how can i solve that?

- Arcade roms seem to work fine and my xbox controller seems to work... but how can i insert coins or quit the mame emulator using a controller?

- on the subject of controllers.... not all the recommended emulators seem to work with them. the recommended emulator snes9x doesnt do anything for example.

-dreamcast roms throw up a weird error in demul. every game ive tried says "xxxxxxxx.bin is missing from dc" (where xxxx is a weird collection of letters)

whats that all about? (i know the games are good. ive had them working on reicast on android shield tablet)

- i cant seem to register for emumovies.com... the validation email never arrives. resent loads of times. is that site down or known for issues?

- psp games dont have a default emulator. is there a recommended one?

- epsxe doesnt do anything when i try and play a game. it just sits there in a window and displays the word 'playstation' in white.

- i installed launchbox on my C drive SSD but its starting to take up too much space. How can i move it to another drive?

you should be able to just copy the whole launchbox folder across to a new location, using the "move roms to launchbox folder" keeps them organised and portable. If they are somewhere else you are going to have to go threw and change the file locations in the xml files

- I used the wizard to install turbografx16 roms using the recommended emulator (retroarch) but when i try and play them nothing happens at all.

how can i solve that?

have you associated the platform with the retroarch core you want to use?

Tools - manage emulators - retroarch - edit - associated platforms -

TurboGrafx-16 -L "cores\mednafen_pce_fast_libretro.dll" True

-Arcade roms seem to work fine and my xbox controller seems to work... but how can i insert coins or quit the mame emulator using a controller?

check the controller mapping, I think by default it should be the start button but you may have to change

not sure about the different emulators and controller options, snes should be easy to get working with retroarch as an option

I have not played with dreamcast....

Emumovies is up for me, it has been up/down regularly over the last couple of weeks, their confirmation emails were instant for me, check junk email maybe?

not really played with psx files yet either, cant help you there sorry

• Like 1

-You can move Launchbox to any drive you want. It is portable.  EDIT: ninja'd by @massatomic

-Did you test the games in Retroarch with it running outside of launchbox and does it work that way? 

-DId you set your controller button mappings in snes9x? Each emulator needs to be set in its input options. Setting up button mappings in LaunchBox/BigBox is for the frontend only. As far as mame goes it you can set up an exit hook in mame directly. Run a game in mame and hit tab to bring up the options to set controls. Using the controller automation settings in Launchbox works as well. 

-If your dreamcast roms work in reicast the why not use the reicast core in retroarch? Demul is better, it can be a pain to get working right. 

-emumovies.com is working. Did you check your spam folder? On the emumovies forum there are some posts of registration issues due to specific email providers not allowing users to receive emails from emumovies account. I would email them directly. 

-PSP can be run using ppsspp-libretro core in retroarch or using standalone ppspp emulator.Both work, the standalone is best.

-Have you tried different roms in epsxe and do any of them work/not work? Not all PS rom work correctly.  

I recommend properly setting up your emulators outside of Launchbox first and test. Then import your roms into Launchbox. 

Edited by Retro808

after digging around in retroarch it seems that it didnt have any cores loaded or something.

i clicked on all of them and they downloaded and it seems to work ok now.

except some games just have a black screen.

why does launchbox say it sets everything up for you when using a default emulator... but actually doesnt really set everything up at all?

ill try retroarch for dreamcast. and probably retroarch for playstation 1 and psp aswell.

can retroarch be used for everything? is there any downside to using retroarch for everything? (ie. some stuff just doesnt work as well on it)

so the gamepad option in launchbox is not for the emulators themselves, but only for launchbox itself?

Well LaunchBox can't download RetroArch cores or download BIOS and put them in the right location. The first part is impossible as we don't tap in to their servers at all, and the second is illegal for us to do.

If your games are launching with black screens, then either the games are corrupt, the bios are corrupt, or they're not named properly in the system folder. The default command line parameters have also changed. I've already updated them, but Jason hasn't gotten to it yet; another thing on the long list.

RetroArch isn't the best in every situation, but it is in most situations and is my favorite emulator. PSP is certainly not one of them, but Dreamcast and PS1 are great. PPSSPP for PSP is much better. The RA PSP core is 2 years out of date. I would also not use RA for DOS, MAME (and by extension MESS), PSP and DS. I did tons of tutorials on lots of platforms though, so check them out for some more help. Some are a bit older, and things have changed slightly, but they're all still valid.

The Gamepad options in LaunchBox are for only LaunchBox related functions and navigating LB. Big Box has it's own set too. For RetroArch, if you plug in a PS3, PS4 (both need extra software like Input Mapper for PS4), a 360 or Xbox One controller, RetroArch automatically configures it for every system. Other emulators need to be set up.

As for the portability, as long as your LB install, games and emulators are all on the same hard drive you can move them all to a new hard drive and be fine. They all need to move together though, and LB wont benefit from the SSD anyways, so it's fine. Keep the folder structure intact and move all of it to the root of a new hard drive.

The only time I ever tried the Reicast core it was a total shit show so I'm sticking with Demul the issue you are getting sounds like you don't have the correct bios for Demul the DC.zip file for MAME was just split into 3 parts and if you have the dc.zip from there it will not work unless you get the dcjp.zip and dceu.zip and then combine them that or just get the dc.zip file from a merged or non-merged set and it should fix that issue.

ok the dreamcast bios problem seem to be down to which bios is selected in the demul menu.

ive got the correct dc.zip located in the correct folders, but only some of the bios selections seemt to work (eg. katana set5 v1.011 world )

the few of the other ones display missing file errors.

so which bios selection is the recommended/best one?

also - none of the cdi roms play in dremul whereas they work perfectly in nulldc (but nulldc is not as good, and retroarch reicast core just crashes retroarch)

all they do is cause the cd player to appear in dremul.

i would normally assume they arent self-boot, but as i said they work in nulldc so they also wouldnt work there if they were not self boot images.

Edited by candycane