LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Controller game exit

Nathaniel138

Heya guys, I have been setting up Bigbox for the first time and I'm learning a lot. However one of the things I've been wanting to do is to be able to go into and out of ROMs with just my controller. I haven't seen any options to this effect and I assume it's a thing I can do. I'm sure I could set it up from Retroarch as well but if I can I'd like for it to be a big box function so I can keep things sort of localized. Thanks everybody, I'm really enjoying this front end.

Hi and welcome, what you want is controller automation and is available in launchbox and bigbox, you do however need the premium version. If you have premium in launchbox its tools/options/input/automation and in bigbox its options/controller automation. You set a "HOLD " button then another button you want to quit the game with. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Has anyone tested this with the latest version, maybe it broke? I finally have my game library ready and want to be able to navigate, play games and exit them entirely from the xbox 360 controller. However the exit part is just not working for me, neither in Launcbox, nor in BigBox. It doesn't work for any emulator either. I have retroarch, rpcsx2 and rpcs3. How do I exit the active game and get back to launchbox/big box immediately from controller only? Would appreciate any feedback, the above answer is not working for me, I see it is not working for @tallpr24 either.

Thanks in advance!

I'm on version 10.5 premium, (just migrated from GameEx) but I'm not having any luck in LaunchBox or BigBox. I've got Game Controllers Enabled, I can't find an option for automation like I've seen throughout the forum so maybe that has something to do with it. I've got it set up in mapping but it doesn't work, I've tried a few combinations. Escape on my keyboard works fine.Options.thumb.jpg.302a4afd70985614fa776b07dead298d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@silverchair are you using Retroarch or stand-alone emulator? With stand-alone emulators it's worth going through the settings and making sure ESC key works as Launchbox/Bigbox is really only sending the ESC command, they also don't play nice if you have a controller button conflict.

Side note, but in case someone has been trying to figure out why BigBox doesn't Exit a Game, but works with Launchbox (Exit Game under Options > Game Controllers > Mappings). You have to set the Close the Active Window mapping under Options > Controller Mappings.

Call me daft, but this took me ages to figure out that Exit in BigBox > Options > Controller Mappings actually means exit BigBox when not in-game.  

BigBoxExitGame.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I just installed Launchbox and purchased the license.  I cannot get Mame to exit games using the combo in Launchbox or Bigbox.  My controller option looks just like the sample images above.  What else could be the issue?  Pressing the ESC on keyboard is the only way to exit a game.  Thank you for any help.

14 minutes ago, bigcletus said:

Hi, I just installed Launchbox and purchased the license.  I cannot get Mame to exit games using the combo in Launchbox or Bigbox.  My controller option looks just like the sample images above.  What else could be the issue?  Pressing the ESC on keyboard is the only way to exit a game.  Thank you for any help.

The best thing to do is set the same button combo directly in Mame. In Mame settings I have both "Esc" and my Button Combo (4+2) listed.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...