LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox...does it do what i want?

Sub-Zero

Yo guys, a lot know me from the Hyperspin forums, after 7 years i finally completed the MAME top 500 theme set so it's time for me to start on my console project but HS is limiting me in what i want to achieve.

Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of how themes and artwork work in launchbox. if it does what i need it to do then i need to consider moving over.

Explanation.....i have a default theme and i need it to change background and banner when it lands on a specific game. take  a look at the screenshot so you see what i mean.

Default:

kaDrR01.png

Change 1: into nintendo select

KUpPSPA.png

Change 2: Luigi

fOEKg89.png

Change 3: splatoon

8qTxM5u.png

Remember that only 15 games will changes. i am not looking to make videos of my themes. i just want to know if it's possible that a default theme can changes assets.

Thanks Sub

Edited by Sub-Zero
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Saying that i am not sure what you mean by "themes" themes here and themes over there mean different things. Are you talking video themes like what @JamesBaker is making or the actual bigbox themes which all look different and are designed by our talented community.

i know cinematic themes. i believe Critcal Sid did the same thing to all my MAME themes. not looking for that. i want a clean transistion just artwork layers changing when i select a game  like shown in post 1

Edited by Sub-Zero

Ah i see, i cant help there as i am not a theme designer. I believe @Jason Carr is currently or about to add a lot of new theme features that cid wanted. So lets tag him in here as well @CriticalCid as he will no much more than i will ever about the theme engine. Sorry i could not help more, and welcome to the launchbox community. Have fun. 

Actually lets also tag @Grila here as well, he has done things with themes no one else could do before.

• Like 1

Artwise i am going cross platform as of now. so all my art that was HS only will be released for BIG BOX aswell...here is some of my stuff. i'll bet you'll reconige it.

Lldj9h1.png

PH66Qvm.png

pt0UBlf.png

au7jvjg.jpg

bV6Momk.png

loJ1qcL.png

bxmPwie.png

w7NnlhX.png

O7r45HA.png

LAc0gZT.png

XMdBCT3.png

WAhbJ4T.png

aAIS3Ie.png

osVR90n.png

rCPPs3K.png

R1d8hzc.png

And this is just a hand full  i did thousands the last 8 years

Edited by Sub-Zero
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Ok bare with me, but in those wii u shots from your OP you are more or less swapping colours and box art right? That "should" be doable. Again i know nothing but seems feasible to me.

Yeah, the Wii U itself and the Wii U logo banner will stay on screen only thing that changes is the background and the Wii U banner will be overlayd with a different color plus it will call the boxart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sub-Zero said:

Yeah, the Wii U itself and the Wii U logo banner will stay on screen only thing that changes is the background and the Wii U banner will be overlayd with a different color plus it will call the boxart.

Yeah again, from a non knowledgeable theme person, "possible". You may have a actually helpful post in a bit though ;) 

Hey @Sub-Zero , it’s so great so see you here! :)

What you try to achieve could be done with the fanart images. “Fanart” just means background in LaunchBox and you can set them for games individually and/or set one as default for the whole platform which gets used when a game has no individual Fanart image (the concept is basically the same like the themes work in HyperSpin).

Basically you could set up the blue one as default background for the Wii U platform and then set the ones that differ as individual backgrounds for the affected games.

Now when it comes to XAML you can set the positions/sizes/etc. of all the overlaying objects like boxart, wheel, game info, video, etc. The main problem you will probably run into is that BigBox doesn’t support individual layouts (called "Views" in Bigbox) for each system/games (yet!). So for the time being every platform would have to share the same layouts regarding the overlaying objects like video, boxart, etc.

But fortunately you are not limited to just one layout as BigBox offers quite a few different Views you can use and edit. For example you have 4 Vertical Wheel Views to choose from which means you can potentially build 4 different layouts you can use for all your platforms (not counting all the other Views like CoverFlow, Horizontal Wheels, etc.)

- Cid

• Like 2

I need to read this thru lol, but i can get the picture. time to dig in the program thanks for the fast responses guys. @CriticalCid Yo buddy! it had to happen sometime......my art ego is getting to big so i am going to make my Photoshop canvas a bit wider audienced ;) .....lets see what this puppy can do.

• Like 2

Great decision ;)

For starters it would be probably the best to just play around with it. Import a few systems and install a couple of themes from the download section in order to get a feeling of how the artwork, themes and views system work in BigBox and what already has been done with it before you start diving into theme creation yourself.

The LaunchBox YouTube channel has many great video tutorials for setting LaunchBox up but if you have any questions feel free to ask, we’re all happy to help :)

• Like 2