LaunchBox Community Forums

Another "games not loading"

trellos

Hello,this is my first post on the forum.

i have a common issue with retroarch Launchbox and SNES.When I try to load games it just doesn't!,of course I've read similar topics here but my platform name on the left of launchbox is exactly the same (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)  with associated platforms and my default line parameters is (-L "cores\snes9x_next_libretro.dll").

I have to say that I have the exact same problem with Nintendo Entertainment System as well.

thanks in advance.

Ok but in your first post you have the snes9x_next_libretro.dll core so that would throw it off, they are different cores even though they are both snes9x cores.

Double check your cores you actually have downloaded in the cores folder match up with the ones in your associated platforms list.

Yes the snes9x_next core is actually not even available any longer its a shame that the RetroArch defaults haven't been edited in forever in LB. This probably needs to be fixed or more people will be having this issue.

No, it's nothing you can do. The defaults that automatically populate are very outdated. I've created a bunch of new ones, like using bsnes balanced as it's a much much better core than anything snes9x, but it just hasn't happened yet. Editing the command line in the associated platform page is how you change cores in RetroArch and LaunchBox, so it's common, but the default is automatically not correct which doesn't help.

Well, best is subjective admittedly, but the tutorials that I did are just that essentially. I don't do them anymore, but I generally picked the best emulator in terms of quality of emulation and ease of use, or I would specify when I was picking another emulator for another reason. TurboGrafx version 1 and Sega Saturn version 1 were certainly like that, and I needed to do revised versions of them. I am gonna see if I can't get Jason to update the defaults this week. Here's hoping I can get him to.

@SentaiBrad, im just spit-balling here as i am not a coder, but do you think it is possible now we have the plugin system that someone could create a plugin that scans your Retroarch/Cores folder checks what cores you have then auto populates the associated platform list? That might be handy for newcomers they just download the cores they want in Retroarch, then the plugin does the rest. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Potentially, but it would need to have fairly advanced logic, or it will choose the wrong core. That's partly why I say that features with jumps in logic have issues in posts, because sure, we can assign it behavior that Jason or I like, but it can be wrong for many many people. It's possible more than likely, I can just imagine it being a nightmare to maintain. So, I'm not above sharing my spreadsheet, but it's not really formatted well for an end user.