LaunchBox Community Forums

FINALLY BIT THE BULLET AND INSTALLED WINDOWS 10

Maddoc1007

Well i finally Bit The Proverbial Bullet and upgraded to Windows 10.  The transition was relatively painless taking an Hour and a Half from downloading using the Windows Media Creation Tool and installing to a Flash Drive.  then came the BIG STEP Upgrading to 10 this went quite buttery smooth only stopping for a minute at installing updates at 31% and again at 73%.  Finally after an hour and a half totally installed and setup.   Everything looked almost the same as Windows 7 the desktop etc except just uninstalling apps i did not need and disabling others.  

TWO HOURS LATER my first boot up of LAUNCHBOX  this went fine and worked out of the box.  NEXT PORT OF CALL (and i was dreading this) THE FIRST BOOTUP OF BIGBOX. I will not say this went smoothly at all, in fact quite the opposite.  The Lag was almost to much that i had to shout WHAT THE F##K.  Transitions were slow to say the least almost unbearable, controller response was almost to a standstill and Video was beyond terrible.  How ever i had real faith in @Jason Carr's Software and his coding ability.  SO I REBOOTED THE SYSTEM AND LET IT SETTLE FOR A FEW MINUTES.  During that few minutes i waited with baited anticipation to boot up BIGBOX.   REBOOTING BIGBOX OMG, the lag in the video both with WMP and VLC was quite bad, slow motion breaking up off graphics i was almost fir to hit the huge 42" screen in front of me.  Immediately closing down BIGBOX, i went to Device Manager and LO AND BEHOLD i noticed that the display was using generic drivers, what was this, my drivers did not convert over during the install an ASUS Raedon R7 250 with 1gb of ddr5.   I updated the drivers through Windows update drivers which installed the proper driver for my display card. 

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH, I REOPENED UP BIGBOX.  WOW @Jason Carr crisp, clean and quite smooth, no lag, Video working as it supposed to, really impressed, no overworking of case fans just a nice pleasant experience.  Why didnt i try this earlier, well no Flogging an Old Horse finally i did it.

And the greatest thing of all THE UPGRADE DID NOT COST ME A PENNY.  WINDOWS 10 IS ACTUALLY ACTIVATED,  How did i do it i hear you ask.  Wellll i just Downloaded the windows 10 creation tool, installed it and ran it, then i choose the second option and saved the installation files to a USB Flash Drive.

After the download was complete, I opened up the flash drive in File Explorer and run Setup from there.

Then I just followed the prompts to complete the upgrade and was not asked for a product key, and when the upgrade was complete connected to the Internet and had a fully Licensed Windows 10, which you can confirm by going to Settings/Control Panel and then System to be surprised that Windows had activated freely.

So the moral of this story is, after Upgrading Windows make sure that you update Graphics Drivers for the newer Version of the Operating system You are Installing (and Reboot System a few times).

• Like 1

Or, run Driver Booster from IOBit. That will update all of your drivers, even devices that didn't know they need updating. That's the best way after installing a new OS. I have my wife and my mother in law using it, and it works great. My wife is a tech person, but my mother in law is, and it helps them both immensely. My wife knows what shes doing, but has much less time to be on the PC as I do because of her work. I also use Ninite as well. Open the website, check the boxes of software I need, and then run that installer. That's one of the fastest ways to get a majority of my software up and running again. I don't choose Steam from this software though, as it installs to the default C location, and I need it else where. But a lot of the software I do suggest, can be found in there. Windows updates now takes a lot of the guess work out of it, but there's still a bit more after install. Also, don't forget to disable telemetry (the check box during install is only part of the fight), make sure to disable P2P Windows Updates (the check box during install should have taken care of it), and you can disable Defender and OneDrive integration if you'd like. I don't use either, but Defender is actually really decent, but I replace it with Malwarebytes AntiMalware, so.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NLS said:

I stay away from such "we do it for you" solutions...

I did too, until IOBit Advanced System Care and Driver Booster. Been using them for 6-7 years, Zero issues. Installed them on several PC's in my old house and this house, no issues. I've talked about them on these forums for as long as I've been coming here. I know what to do, I don't want to take the time to do it, and they've never caused me issues. If an issue does come up with installing the drivers too, you can have it create a restore point every time before it starts downloading updates. I even love their software updating my essential software, like dependencies. Ninite I only use when needing to install an OS. I just used it recently when re-installing Windows 10 for my mother in law. Made things much easier. She was up and running in 30 min instead of an hour and a half.

IOBit is really good actually I've used it on Brad recommendation and the only thing negative I can say is never let it change your display drivers on a tablet but besides that its good plus you should always use the backup feature anyway in case there is a driver issue.

@SentaiBrad I installed Driver Booster and got report all drivers are up to date, however i cravat to upgrading to windows 10 on older hardware is the read and write speeds on an SSD Samsung Evo 850 will suffer almost a 30% decrease in Reads and around 20% decrease in Writes Did about 20 checks with Samsung magician to verify results. So it seems Windows 7 has better results in this department. See screenshot.

Untitled.png

Edited by Maddoc1007

@DOS76 Tried that as well, interesting though my board is an intel and the intel utility tells me there is no update drivers so it looks like sadly a revert back to Windows for this machine before the 10 days is up to revert back. Sadly I was really starting to like the windows 10 environment but the SSD speed decrease doesn't warrant staying on an operating system that can't handle SSD's as good as windows 7 can as least on this machine.   It amazes me though that Microsoft's newest OS cant handle drives as well as windows 7 can and maybe this is something they have overlooked and that they should be looking at.

Edited by Maddoc1007