LaunchBox Community Forums

Controller Opinions

Pyrometheous

Yea, wireless doesn't mean lag inherently. It depends on how many other bluetooth or wireless signals are around you, the strength of the device and receiver, where it's located, and it's drivers. Wireless signals around you are things people don't think about. When I have the wireless turned on for a lot of devices, some of my weaker devices have issues connecting. I have to go through and make sure consoles are fully off, devices wifi are off, etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, wireless doesn't mean lag inherently. It depends on how many other bluetooth or wireless signals are around you, the strength of the device and receiver, where it's located, and it's drivers. Wireless signals around you are things people don't think about. When I have the wireless turned on for a lot of devices, some of my weaker devices have issues connecting. I have to go through and make sure consoles are fully off, devices wifi are off, etc.

I do have quite a few wireless devices in my home, however (hopefully), a lot of that will be wired in the next few months. Crawled under the house over the weekend and found yards and yards of old coax cable that connected to nothing at all. I'm working on getting everything wired up to my office, so that should clear up the wireless noise around my entertainment center (where my router currently lives). So far even my logitech unify devices don't work well in the livingroom. That might be the culprit.

After thinking about the whole way retroarch recognizes different controllers and sets up controllers automatically per console differently. I saw somewhere that the Mayflash N64 and SNES adapters both show up as the same controller, so mapping one, messes up the other, I was wondering if I could have a few different retroarch folders and have specific games use different retroarchs? Would something like that work?

Like let's say

C:\Users\Me\Launch box\emulators\Retroarch(n64)

C:\Users\Me\Launch box\emulators\Retroarch(NES)

Or would each retroarch refer to the same configuration files in some way? I'm still new to using retroarch and I'm slowly making my way to using it for almost everything. It's been particularly convenient for it's auto-controller mapping, but it messes stuff up at times too.

25 minutes ago, Pyrometheous said:

So, I found this on amazon, it looks like it's basically a bluetooth emitter adapter for SNES controllers, but it sends it out as Xinput. I wanted to know if you had any experience with this brand or knew anything about it. I kinda feel that it's probably going to have latency issues, but at the same time, the wireless factor is a bit tempting.

It looks interesting. I have never tried it. 

• Like 1

If the controller is read as the same, custom configs would probably need to be utilized. This is probably a scenario where Custom Configs can be very useful instead of letting the auto-controller or overrides go. Though, the Overrides will probably due just fine the more I think about it. Custom Configs or overrides are on a per core or per game basis. So when you load the core, it will load automatically. You'll just need which ever controller you want plugged in at that time. An alternative is to just go for a quality controller that you can use for everything. The 8Bitdo controllers should automatically config, as well as the other 4 popular controllers. Go with the design you like the most, which includes the buttons.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the Xbox360 controller for now, although I'll probably upgrade to an Xbox One controller sometime soon since everyone says it has a much better D-pad (the 360 one is indeed problematic).

My one exception is that my brother-in-law was kind enough to give me an almost brand new N64 controller he had in storage, so I use that with an adapter because it's such an unusual shape that more standard controllers don't adapt well to that system. Jet Force Gemini, for instance, I find nearly impossible to play with my Xbox pad, and the Aki wrestling games that are my favorite N64 games aren't much better.

I honestly played N64 games just fine on the PS4 controller. I thought it would be a pain, but after using RetroArch and letting it auto-config my PS4 controller, I stuck to it and it works great for me now. It's much better than my POS RetroLink N64 controller.

On 5/24/2017 at 2:06 PM, Pyrometheous said:

I do have quite a few wireless devices in my home, however (hopefully), a lot of that will be wired in the next few months. Crawled under the house over the weekend and found yards and yards of old coax cable that connected to nothing at all. I'm working on getting everything wired up to my office, so that should clear up the wireless noise around my entertainment center (where my router currently lives). So far even my logitech unify devices don't work well in the livingroom. That might be the culprit.

After thinking about the whole way retroarch recognizes different controllers and sets up controllers automatically per console differently. I saw somewhere that the Mayflash N64 and SNES adapters both show up as the same controller, so mapping one, messes up the other, I was wondering if I could have a few different retroarch folders and have specific games use different retroarchs? Would something like that work?

Like let's say

C:\Users\Me\Launch box\emulators\Retroarch(n64)

C:\Users\Me\Launch box\emulators\Retroarch(NES)

Or would each retroarch refer to the same configuration files in some way? I'm still new to using retroarch and I'm slowly making my way to using it for almost everything. It's been particularly convenient for it's auto-controller mapping, but it messes stuff up at times too.

I never had that problem. 

With that being said, retroarch does not provide the proper analog range for the n64 joystick. For example, in mario 64 you can't get mario to run. I would recommend project 64 instead if you are using a n64 controller with the mayflash adapter. For a few of the games that don't work well with the glide plugin, I used dolphin's virtual console (mostly for super smash and pokemon snap). 

Edited by mothergoose729

6 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

retroarch does not provide the proper analog range for the n64 joystick. For example, in mario 64 you can't get mario to run

What ? Mario runs for me using a 360 controller, I can also tiptoe with a small movement of the analog stick.

Just now, lordmonkus said:

What ? Mario runs for me using a 360 controller, I can also tiptoe with a small movement of the analog stick.

It is a known problem with retroarch's controller input. It only effects the n64 controller used with the mayflash adapter, AFAIK. Last time I looked into it, they issue has been open in liberto issue tracker, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority fix right now.