LaunchBox Community Forums

Bummed out, my Launchbox keeps crashing. "Not responding" QUIT or DEBUG

cleverest

Pretty sure LB uses DirectX 9 since it released with Windows XP and is compatible up to Windows 10 (most PC games still uses it), though I can't be 100% sure.

I know the cause for that error though.

It's because DirectX components are installed into your Windows folder and therefore the UAC (User Account Control) gets triggered for you to accept the changes. If you don't, after a few minutes, whatever you were trying to install will fail and give you a message similar to the above and say it was terminated by the user. Since you stepped away, you probably never accepted on the UAC pop-up

This is referring to the DX Setup error; not the LB one

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

i think it's not OS, because you have got that on clean OS installs with different Windows versions I think you said. And you said you only have issue with LB and no other apps, so I'm doubting it's your hardware.

I think it's either something you have running on top of your "clean" OS or something in your LB files.

Do you have ANY indexing running? Anti virus? File Backup software? Anything else that touches your files?

Can you take this small somewhat clean LB folder and try it on another PC?

how about zip up that new LB folder and send it to me. I'd be willing to try it. Just tell me the steps you do to hit the errors and crashes.

edit: don't send me your LB license though. maybe there's other sensitive data, so i don't know if that's a good idea anymore

Edited by ckp

try deleting everything inside your Images\Cache folder from file explorer (with LB closed) and let the cache build again and see if you get errors/crashes.

edit: but don't do anything in LB until the cache is done rebuilding

Edited by ckp

Thanks CKP, I may end up sending you may main LB folder, minus the license, games, images, media, etc...maybe you can figure something out, LOL...no pressure though...I'm at a loss.,,but actually the stripped down flash drive version I've been using and posting images on tonight, does NOT crash on my laptop...at least not yet...if it does I'll post an update....

....so it may not be anything in the LB collection...tomorrow I'm gonna try to connect my main 8TB collection to my laptop...just a pain in the arse cause I gotta move stuff around (being a desktop drive), and that will tell us for sure if my main issue is somewhere on the drive or god knows...

BTW no anti-virus or auto backup stuff, I just use the built-in defender with 8.1 - I'm very good at avoiding anything nefarious online and cleaning stuff if I do get anything..nothing like that has happened with this PC....I'm very tech savvy (I repair computers for a living), at  least savvy for everything except this apparently, LOL

Edited by cleverest

BTW all the crashing, from the flash drive and main 8 TB drive, the smaller errors pictured recently, and the one that closes LB are totally random from what I can tell...not for any game or platform or button clicked, etc...I've had it happened in the EDIT window, main view...while importing stuff (mid progress bar, after import), etc...it's never happened inside of bigbox, but I rarely use bigbox...and the crash dumps reference launchbox.exe, not bigbox.exe anyways...

Edited by cleverest

2 minutes ago, cleverest said:

You may have missed one post...it DOES crash on the new one too :-( on the flash drive on my main system and the laptop I have.

yes i know. i was trying to widdle down possible culprits on the simplest install, your flashdrive. so i meant clear that out, let build, and see if it happens again.

edit: oh, so your small flash drive install does crash on two different systems, good, so you don't have a bad computer haha. 

Edited by ckp

Deleted my comment above, I'm tired and not thinking straight....my flash drive version crashes, but only on my main PC, NOT my laptop...LOL, I need to sleep, I'll catch up with this tomorrow...I deleted the CACHE and will let it load up on the trouble PC (desktop) and see if it crashed in the morning...thanks so much for the help!