LaunchBox Community Forums

Here is a small plugin I made to import the eXoDOS games into LaunchBox. Currently it does not import images, just the game and the info about it in the about.txt and the ini file in the eXoDOS folders. 

Usage: 

Backup your MS-DOS.xml file if you have one. Make sure you have run the "Setup eXoDOS.bat" file or this plugin will fail. Place plugin in the Plugins folder of LaunchBox. The plugin should appear at the bottom of the tools menu. When you click on it, it wants you to select the root folder of the eXoDOS folder structure. This means the top folder, the one that houses the Setup eXoDOS.bat file. After that it will go through the Games/!dos folder to find all your games and it will import them into LaunchBox. This takes a bit. For some reason when I was generating the xml file without the plugin system it worked in about 20 seconds. However using the IGame add new game function, it takes a couple of hours for my 5094 games. I would suggest running this at night. 

To do: 

Import images. Does anyone know a quick and easy way to detect where the LaunchBox install is? There I could find the correct folders to place images in. My other option is to have a second File Dialog Box that lets you select your LaunchBox install folder. I will only be importing front and back images. 

Make this run as a separate thread. I made a BackgroundWorker and made a delegate to run the IGame add new game in the background, but it did not seem to work. Any hints?

Make a progress bar. The video that the LaunchBox creator did shows how to control a gui through a theme, but I can't figure out how to make a progress bar on its own. Any hints?

eXoDosImport.dll

Edit, I have uploaded my Visual Studio folder. I am no longer going to develop this so I figured others might want to see how I went about it and make their own. Warning, this is not optimized code. If you are learning how to code, do not follow my examples. This is very sloppy and while I know better, I was lazy. You can use this to see how I made the plugin and what API calls I made, but don't learn to program this way. This is bad programming. If you want to learn C# and .net I would suggest going to plural sight (It is worth the price if you are going to use it) and start by looking up object oriented programming basics, then doing some C# .net tutorials.

If you end up tweaking it and make it run in a background process so you can still use LaunchBox and/or add a progress bar, let me know so I can see your code for when/if I make my next app. 

eXoDosImport.zip

Edited by MiraiKuma
Uploaded source code.
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Should work with the images in my tutorial, and also should work with the Win3x0 collection as the file structure is the same.

Will test tonight and if it's ok with you ill swap the first half of the tutorial for your plugin. :)

Nice work getting the game info imported, now we have a complete import!

Edited by syntax_X
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-7-11 at 10:27 AM, syntax_X said:

Should work with the images in my tutorial, and also should work with the Win3x0 collection as the file structure is the same.

Will test tonight and if it's ok with you ill swap the first half of the tutorial for your plugin. :)

Nice work getting the game info imported, now we have a complete import!

Hi,

what (or where) is your tutorial on uploading the images?

Did it work for you with eXoDOS?

Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

Can someone help me using this? When I ran it, it said games folder found..but then didn't do anything - it appears to have just hung up..unless I just have to wait quite awhile for it to finish (seems locked up currently)

Edit:/

Well it finally finished and said "eXodoc imported" or whatnot, but there are no games in my list.

Edited by newyears1978

Do not expect any support from me anymore with regards to these imports.

I don't use launchbox anymore and the EXO import feature should of been finished by now.

I have no idea what has changed or if my tutorial is even  still valid.

I made this  over a weekend because Jason cannot do it in nearly 2 years.

Pray for Launchbox...

• Haha 1

The plugin works nicely. I used it this past weekend and all games were imported nicely. I then proceeded to use a tool made by Turranius to rename and sort the artwork by front, back, media and screenshot/title and threw that into the respective launchbox folder. worked like a charm.

On 10/2/2017 at 2:30 AM, Klopjero said:

The plugin works nicely. I used it this past weekend and all games were imported nicely. I then proceeded to use a tool made by Turranius to rename and sort the artwork by front, back, media and screenshot/title and threw that into the respective launchbox folder. worked like a charm.

Where can I get the sorting tool by Turranius?  Thanks.

19 hours ago, cleverest said:

Where can I get the sorting tool by Turranius?  Thanks.

How to use: 

Step 1 - press the Step 1 button, and browse to the [exodos]\games folder
Step 2 - Click on the Long Names radio button. 
NOTICE copy the path adress of step 1, step 3 will overwrite that path (bug)
Step 3 - step 3 appears and it will ask for a zipmapping INI file.
step 4 - copy path back into step 1
Final Step, choose a a destination folder.

after the program has run, go to the destination folder and copy the images into their respective launchbox folders.
In launchbox, refresh images (F5). 

eXoDosArtworkExtractor.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...