LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Integrate RetroAchievements with Big Box

bohorqux

Hello! I just discovered frontend emulation just yesterday, and I also discovered Launchbox and its awesome service, Big Box, today! I've seen videos of people using Retroarch and using it in conjunction with Launchbox. What I'm especially interested in is being able to play games and having the achievement icon be displayed whenever I activate a certain achievement. What I want to know is, is it possible to activate achievements just like in Retroarch in Big Box mode, and if it is possible, where could I find a tutorial? I'm really new to this stuff, and I really want to be able to play retro games while also earning achievements, as I feel that it makes the experience so much more fun.

LaunchBox and Big Box MIGHT have some integration of RetroAchievements in the future, it is certainly something that Jason is taking a look at because it was voted really high on the previous poll. However, Monkus is totally correct in saying that it's an emulator specific thing. You need the emulators downloaded from their site, or to use RetroArch and the specific cores that work with it.

I did a tutorial for it, albeit a bit out of date, but the idea is still very much the same.

4 hours ago, bohorqux said:

Hello! I just discovered frontend emulation just yesterday, and I also discovered Launchbox and its awesome service, Big Box, today! I've seen videos of people using Retroarch and using it in conjunction with Launchbox. What I'm especially interested in is being able to play games and having the achievement icon be displayed whenever I activate a certain achievement. What I want to know is, is it possible to activate achievements just like in Retroarch in Big Box mode, and if it is possible, where could I find a tutorial? I'm really new to this stuff, and I really want to be able to play retro games while also earning achievements, as I feel that it makes the experience so much more fun.

Bigbox doesn't replace retroarch its just a really cool interface to launch emulators, including Retroarch. If you set up RA to use retroachievements then set RA as your emulator for the relevent systems in Launchbox the achievements will work just the same as if you had loaded the game in RA without Bigbox. Alternatively you can set up LB to use the individual emulators from the retroachievements site.

Edited by spectral

• 5 months later...