LaunchBox Community Forums

Changing Joypad layout on the fly in games is that possible ?

Kalemnor

Hi, I've been enjoying the bigbox a bit, but I have a problem I don't like many games defaults keys, I'm using a Windows Generic USB Joypad (Mediacom) for instance Street fighter ones I would replace the strong kick punches since it's misplaced.
For games with two buttons (shoot and jump or shoot and special attack I would use a different combo (for some games that require pressing two or more buttons for specials I would like to bind a single button to that combos example: Final Fight or King of Fighters), and so on with games with 4 keys. I would like to make changes to joypad buttons definition on the fly or maybe moving around different layouts while in game, using shortcuts/scripts or something.

I'm using RetroArch as the base emulator, any idea on how to achieve something like this ?
I ask because I think it would be painful to do it by hands by searching game by game, and assigning a config to this another to that and so on, it would also require to test it individually, instead doing it on the fly swapping button definitions would be pretty useful, possibly with a screen overlay that would be pretty cool.

Edited by Kalemnor

In Mame, both the stand alone and Retroarch core you can configure your controls on a per game basis quite easily. With a game loaded press Tab on the keyboard and then Input (This Machine) and set your controls.

You can also bind a button to be 2 different buttons so it acts just like those 2 buttons being pressed the same time (3 works as well).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

In Mame, both the stand alone and Retroarch core you can configure your controls on a per game basis quite easily. With a game loaded press Tab on the keyboard and then Input (This Machine) and set your controls.

You can also bind a button to be 2 different buttons so it acts just like those 2 buttons being pressed the same time (3 works as well).

Pressing TAB there is both a General input and a machine input, what is the difference between the two, and which one of the two should I edit to avoid conflicts. I don't know what I changed and now looks more messed up.
How do I reset those to defaults so I can retry with more attention ?

I edited for mistake the general input, I should have edited the machine only to test it.
Any way to reset to defaults indipendently the General one and the Machine one.

EDIT: Ok I fixed everything back, but I still would like to know how to reset those two to defaults settings.

Edited by Kalemnor

46 minutes ago, Kalemnor said:

Pressing TAB there is both a General input and a machine input, what is the difference between the two, and which one of the two should I edit to avoid conflicts. I don't know what I changed and now looks more messed up.
How do I reset those to defaults so I can retry with more attention ?

I edited for mistake the general input, I should have edited the machine only to test it.
Any way to reset to defaults indipendently the General one and the Machine one.

If you go to your mame/cfg folder all the control cfg's are there, the one called "default" is as it says the default setting for all machines, just delete it from the folder and it will revert to the "out of the box" state when you load mame again. All the other cfg's there are for specific machines you have changed controls on, so again just delete the one you messed up and it will revert to the default cfg.

• Like 1