LaunchBox Community Forums

Moderation Question [Database]

dita

A question regarding moderation.  Obviously, never done this before so forgive the possible noob question.  But got to start somewhere! 

I have an entry as a "new game" which then asks to check if it exists in the list below, which it does.  However, the existing one has no data other that the title, whereas the newly submitted entry has lots of information added.  Is my only option to reject is as "game already exists" even though the new entry has more information and images attached to it?

Thanks

• Like 1

• Lordmonkus changed the title to Moderation Question [Database]

Heyo! This a great question! I personally am not a moderator but i understand the process of how things get cranked out at the Gamesdb. On the bright side our problem consists of two of the same game, which means atleast the game is there. The problem of which one you should delete is difficult but... I say adding the informed game in the data base is your best bet but you need to delete the other one as soon as both games are in the database (that is, if two other people agree with your assesment that the "better information game" deserves to stay and this isnt always the case). Once you have those two games in the database and you delete the uninformed one dont expect it to be deleted immediatly. It could take up to 2 hours to get the deletion. If people decide that the game with no information should stay in the database, seek out the information, submit it and then wait for it to be moderated. 

Ok, thanks for the input.   I must admit that o forgot that another 2 people are also going to look at this, and it's not just my decision.  I assume it's a case of remembering to go back and delete the duplicate entry, assuming the other moderators agree.

• Like 1

I agree. If a game is already on the database, even if it's only a stub (Name and nothing else) then the best thing for a submitter with lots of images and data fields is to edit the existing game rather than submit a new one.

However, the database has one glaring flaw. If a game has been submitted and is still going through moderation, then a second submitter has no knowledge of this and it's in a situation like this that a stub can make it while a heavily research submission is rejected simply by being further down the queue.

On a slightly different topic, there were platforms for which more than one game with the same name were published. These games would have been totally different games by different publishers, with the game name being the only thing in common.
Curious as to how the mods treat such submissions.

If really there is nothing else than a title, I would delete it and keep the better one. We don't know why the poster create a new entry and we could imagine that's an honest mistake. So, I would be very pragmatic and choose what's better for the database. All we want is a better database, that's all.

44 minutes ago, kerszr said:

Maybe we should create a new category for situations like this. Whenever you find yourself in this situation maybe we should be given the option to add the selected data to the old game.

I think it would be complicated to have three moderators select a game to merge into.

Submitters must check if a game exist. If not, they have to resubmit into the existing game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norfair said:

I think it would be complicated to have three moderators select a game to merge into.

Submitters must check if a game exist. If not, they have to resubmit into the existing game.

I guess I kinda agree when you put it that way. Good point. Either way atleast there is some info on the game in our database.