LaunchBox Community Forums

Amiga - best setup guide that works

ckp

as much of an Amiga enthusiast i was when i owned and amiga, i still have yet to try to add Amiga to my LB. i have avoided it like the black plague because i have this notion it's a major pain. 
is it really? what is currently the best guide to follow for it? 
and is it a pain to play once setup or is it simple to play? 
can you use a controller?
i hear Amiga calling my name....

@Zombeaver, my amiga zip file game import picked up game media, but the game names all have the name and then a version next to the name like DickTracy v1.0 and those names aren't recognized with a LB ID when right click edit on the games.

should i delete all the games and reimport them some other way so that game names look right and are recognized in LB?

ok, i deleted all my games and now i changed my emulator to run launcher_uuid.exe instead and i am importing the folders that the export tool created. i guess initially i was thinking the uuid method for the custom configs which i don't have, but after reading again and some other posts, i guess i needed to do the export and uuid launcher thing. importing and waiting...

Edit: hmm, now in another thread i'm seeing that the launcher app is no longer needed. sooooo, changing my emulator back to the regular launcher.exe and assuming i still need to leave the two file naming settings checked. this is getting confusing, but will know soon if this worked...

Edit: woohoo!! it worked. don't use the launcher app. i think zombeaver's guide will say to use it, but it's not needed in the latest FS-UAE version 2.8.3 as noted at the top of this thread:

Sweet, now my game names are correct and properly ID'd by LB

Edited by ckp

7 hours ago, ckp said:

ok, i deleted all my games and now i changed my emulator to run launcher_uuid.exe instead and i am importing the folders that the export tool created. i guess initially i was thinking the uuid method for the custom configs which i don't have, but after reading again and some other posts, i guess i needed to do the export and uuid launcher thing. importing and waiting...

Edit: hmm, now in another thread i'm seeing that the launcher app is no longer needed. sooooo, changing my emulator back to the regular launcher.exe and assuming i still need to leave the two file naming settings checked. this is getting confusing, but will know soon if this worked...

Edit: woohoo!! it worked. don't use the launcher app. i think zombeaver's guide will say to use it, but it's not needed in the latest FS-UAE version 2.8.3 as noted at the top of this thread:

Sweet, now my game names are correct and properly ID'd by LB

The video has a big red annotated message about the launcher. The custom launcher itself is no longer needed, but everything else is (including the UUIDs, the UUID exporter, separate emulator entries for FS-UAE and FS-UAE UUID, etc.).

7 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

Are there any games exclusive to amiga that are just must haves?  I never had an amiga computer, a friend's dad had one, but only got on it a few times.  I remember hearing back then from him that it was way better than IBM pcs.  Curious if it's worth it to try to get set up.

Sure. There are tons of exclusives and in some cases games that are cross-platform but are best on Amiga.

Some favorites from memory:

Agony
Ambermoon
Perihelion
Gods
Chaos Engine
Shadow of the Beast
Shadow of the Beast 2
Shadow of the Beast 3
Alien Breed: Tower Assault
It Came From the Desert
Speedball 2
Ruff 'n' Tumble
Benefactor
Hired Guns
Banshee
Hero Quest
Cadaver
Defender of the Crown
Cavitas
Apocalypse
Lamborghini American Challenge
Odyssey

• Like 1

hey @Zombeaver, how do you deal with video snaps when using uuid for the game import? my snaps are all based off of the zip rom name. so, i had to strip all characters from _ to .mp4 off the snap file names. But even doing that, many snap file names don't match the LB game name, so there are so many i have to rename one by one to match the longer full LB game name. luckily a lot of games do match as well. but this is a bummer.

2 minutes ago, ckp said:

hey @Zombeaver, how do you deal with video snaps when using uuid for the game import? my snaps are all based off of the zip rom name. so, i had to strip all characters from _ to .mp4 off the snap file names. But even doing that, many snap file names don't match the LB game name, so there are so many i have to rename one by one to match the longer full LB game name. luckily a lot of games do match as well. but this is a bummer.

They can match either the library title or the rom (or in this case UUID) name in order to be picked up automatically. The ones that are picked up without any changes are presumably matching your library title. That said, when I first did mine I did end up renaming some of my snaps as well ¬¬

If you download fresh snaps through LB though, it should automatically be naming them based on your library titles anyway.

• Thanks 1

yeah, it can match the LB game title name or the rom file name. many don't match title and many do. i have my own vid snaps and don't pay Emumovies for snaps, so i guess i'll rename one at  a time over time (i have like 1700 games in my amiga library and i'd say about 5-10% don't match). i never saw a reason to pay for video snaps. this is the only time i've ever had trouble with them. it might be worth mentioning this as a note in your awesome tutorial. thanks again for that tutorial!

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

Zombeaver first of all big thanks for the tutorial. Amiga was my second computer after C64 back in '90 and i was crazy about it.

After one year of using LB and checking the posibilities right now i'm building my collection from the scratch paying attention to all the details. 

I'm finishing my C64 collection right now and next one is Amiga. I was importing amiga games before using your tutorial but i can't remember one thing concerning ADF files. I knwo you dont mess with them too much but maybe You or any other user can help me. 

Problem is that theres a lot of WHLoad Amiga games but not all of them, there are some that are only avalible in ADF format that I want in my collection. Last time I got some problems when I add ADF files, I had to add them again and there was some issues and I lost bunch of time reinastaling FS-UAE and doing everything from scratch.

It was connected with the ADF files - finally my question ;];];] - i do not remember if i should zip them in one files (multi disc games) or leave them separately in ADF format when scanning with FS-UAE ? I remember one method works and after scanning FS-UAE 'sse' them and add to collection and second option do not work and FS-UAE do not add them. Which method is correct - one zip files with multiple disc for one game or multiple discs in adf format?

Salute man and thanks again for the tutorial - truly the best tutorial for LB for me.

Mine are unzipped in .adf format. You might be able to have them (single-disks) zipped, I'm honestly not sure. But I don't think you'd want to (or likely be able to) have multi-disk games in a single zip, even if it can accept zipped .adfs normally. I don't know for certain but I'd doubt that would work. I just have all of mine unzipped whether single or multi-disk anyway.

But I can say for certain that unzipped .adf format can be scanned into your FS-UAE library and exported via UUID just like WHDLoad games. If they're not recognized automatically in the scan, you can also add them manually, save a config for them, and import the config into LB. I go over ADFs at 37:30 in the video and importing custom configs at 52:27 in the video

• Thanks 1