LaunchBox Community Forums

Launch Box 7.1 controller issues

gkmcbride

Please help as i am losing my mind! I am having some severe issues with the x-arcade tankstick working with Launchbox/bigbox 7.1.  First of all i was having issues binding keys in retroarch.  Every time i try and bind keys it says error unable to save configuration file.  So i moved on from trying to use retroarch for a all-in-one emulator.  So i first started with basic ahk script inside the emulator edit tab.  I used a few basic commands to exit emulator and remap a few keys such as alt and cntrl that are standard buttons on the tankstick.  Launchbox/bigbox completely ignores everything in the autohotkey tab.  I run the same commands in autohotkey outside of launch box and everything works great.  I open a notepad file and all buttons map correctly.  I also download fusion and set controls based on the newly mapped buttons and works flawlessly.  I then leave it all as it's working, point launchbox emulator to fusion (works in standalone), and nothing works now.  Everything works fine outside of launchbox and i am not having much luck with finding others with similar issues.  I am so confused and it stinks because i love this interface so much, but if i can't get any help i will have to try something else.  I feel im pretty tech savvy, so this is very disappointing.  Can anyone please give me a hand?  I thoroughly hate asking for help, but would be extremely grateful for any pointers at all.

gk

Are you having troubles with using the Tankstick with Launchbox or the emulators ?

I have a Tankstick and it works just fine in BigBox mode though you may want to rebind some stuff in the keyboard section because the Tankstick technically is not a "joystick" in Windows, it uses keyboard keys.

I'm having trouble with the tankstick through bigbox. When I use autohotkey outside of bigbox it remaps the keys and works flawlessly with the emulators. As soon as I run the emulator though bigbox/launchbox it doesn't work. So weird! Yes I'm remapping buttons correctly in emulators as a standalone and yes it's mapped as keyboard mappings not a joystick. I'm using windows 10 x64. Any ideas?

I'm not really sure. Are you running AHK along side BigBox ? If so could that be messing up the binds in BigBox ?

One thought might be to port your AHK mappings into the AHK tab for your emulators in Launchbox.

As for Retroarch you could try remapping your controls within the retroarch.cfg file itself rather than within the RA UI.

I am just going somewhat by guess here because while I do have a Tankstick I only use it in Mame on my HTPC. All my console stuff I prefer using the controller.

Autohotkey inside bigbox (ahk tab) doesn't work.

autohotkey (same script) works with individual emulators outside of big box.

i tried configuring the retroarch.cfg once to match a post where a guy used tankstick and Xbox controllers. I would love to have that configuration or yours. However i have tried to move on from retroarch bc it will not save my player 1 bindings after setting them. It says "error saving configuration file". 

If I could get bigbox/launchbox to recognize autohotkey within the setting tab that would be great. Unfortunately it ignores everything.

That is pretty odd. I have a Tankstick as well. I actually use the default Tankstick button configuration and RA has no issue binding. I just tested by changing a couple bindings and they stuck. I use standalone Mame as well as some FBA cores in RA with my Tankstick. No AHK at all. 

I'm pretty sure I am on the latest 7.10.  I downloaded and have set everything up within the past 2 weeks.  It sounds like maybe I need to reformat if I am having all these issues.  Should I be using windows 10 or should I revert back to 7?  If I do decided to reformat, is there a thread on saving everything all the downloads per system (box art, emumovies, etc)?  I have 10+ systems loaded with all the extra's and don't want to redownload everything.  I'm sure I can figure it out, it think I have seen the links within launchbox.  I would really prefer to fix my issue than reformat, but it doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing these issues so I may not get much help.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Due to the amount of people using tankstick, one could only think something is wrong on my end.  I am going to reformat and start over.  I was using a pretty fresh install, but when troublehshooting ps1/dreamcast/Saturn emulation I was downloading every VS C++ redis pack from 2004.  So.... I just went by and picked up a 4TB 3.0 external drive.  Anyone have any speed issues running roms directly from an external drive?