LaunchBox Community Forums

Sound problem

cowboypat905

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 5:19 AM, Kamikaze01 said:

THANK U SO MUCH GUYS FOR YOUR ANSWERS AND TAKING PART OF MY PROBLEM !!!

I use an Intel NUC with Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580 and the digital audio via HDMI to my TV.

So i think i have my Audio on board... 

Anyway
I spend hours of fightin with this issue...
But keltoigael and Lordmonkus (
my heros !!!) were right - i changed my audio driver in Retroarch to dsound and TA-TAAA... i have Sound all over !!!! :D
Directly in Retroarch or if i start via LaunchBox.

So my Problem is solved by changing the audiodriver settings in Retroarch to dsound !!!

LaunchBox is not only great because of its comfort and design... it is also great with THIS FAST AND SUPER SUPPORT !!

Thank you Thank you Thank you !!! 

Hi I'm so happy that you got it fixed. However, changing to dsound didnt work for me :(.

I too have the Skull canyon NUC Iris pro graphics 580. I think the reason why my one is not working, is because I use custom configs on each of my cores. When I load a game from any platform via launchbox it will load my custom config for it, and all of them doesnt seem to have sound at all because of this. However, outside of launchbox and launching retroarch directly from its folder sound works normally and it uses its default retroarch.cfg file instead. 

I've attached an example of one of custom config bsnes_accuracy_libretro.cfg (dosen't work inside LB) and also the default config retroarch.cfg for retroarch (that works outside of LB). Everything was working fine up until the last new updates from LB, I also havent done any other changes to retroarch or LB. Hope I make sense here, but please help me :(

Edited by cbee69

On 12/14/2017 at 1:45 AM, neil9000 said:

There is no reason to re-install Launchbox, Launchbox has no effect on the emulator other than loading it so in-installing would be a waste of time. Are you loading a specific config for Retroarch through Launchbox?

Hi neil9000 how are you? 

I have the same issue as Kamikaze01, and I've set up mine to have custom configs loaded via LB on most of my platforms. Is there something I need to change or check? Please see my previous post/reply to Kamikaze01 for more information, it also contains some samples of my config files. Pretty much my device and setup is identical to Kamikaze01, however his solution (changing audiodriver settings in Retroarch to dsound) did not fix my problem. I believe it is LB that is causing this issue for me (with custom configs), because running retroarch outside of LB it uses the default config file and sound works fine across board. This only happened during the last new updates for LB. 

Please help me :( and I appreciate you taking your time to help me. 

17 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

If you setup your core overrides (game overrides as well) properly in Retroarch they will load automatically when you load a game.

Core overrides are a wonderful thing.

Hey Lord! Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it :) 

Sorry I'm all new to this override thing, if I apply this override setting do I still keep all my specific settings I made from my custom config? e.g I have specific shaders and overlays for each platform.

Basically you just load a game using the core you want and change your settings to what you want and then in the Quick Menu (F1) at the very bottom you will see Save Core Overrides and Save Game Overrides. The Core one will save your current settings for that core and the Game one is if you just want to save it for that specific game.

This won't save any shader settings but that is easily taken care of in the shader section. Load a game using the core you want and then go to Quick Menu > Shaders and you will see the Save Core Preset and Save Game preset.

This allows you all sorts of customization either on a core basis or game.

• Like 1

I tested your BSNES custom config on one of my set-ups and it launches direct in RA as well as from Launchbox with sound. Looking over the cfg file and comparing it to one of my custom cfg for SNES and the only difference I can see is in your text field for audio_volume (line 42) is set to 0.000000 most of mine are set to 0.300000. To be honest I do not think that is an issue as your cfg file worked on my set-up as it is and I had sound. Just noting that is was the only field difference I can tell. Maybe edit that line to read 0.300000 and see if that changes. I doubt it, but worth a try. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1

When you load a game through launchbox and hit F1 does it show that the custom cfg was launched with the game?

Another thing I noticed is you said changing to dsound did not work like it did for another member, but that custom config still has xaudio as the driver and not dsound. I would edit that cfg and go to line 33 and change "xaduio" to "dsound" then try the cfg again. 

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Retro808 said:

When you load a game through launchbox and hit F1 does it show that the custom cfg was launched with the game?

Another thing I noticed is you said changing to dsound did not work like it did for another member, but that custom config still has xaudio as the driver and not dsound. I would edit that cfg and go to line 33 and change "xaduio" to "dsound" then try the cfg again. 

Hi Retro,

After I load a game, when I hit f1, on the main menu it says the version of retroarch and what core im using at the bottom. When I go to configurations, under 'load configuration' is says my custom config file is in use. This however is only when I boot retroarch via LB. When I boot up retroarch outside of LB 'load configurations' says its the default retroarch config file. I've tried changing the audio volume '0.300000' and driver 'dsound' as mentioned above, still no luck :( 

8 minutes ago, cbee69 said:

Hi Retro,

After I load a game, when I hit f1, on the main menu it says the version of retroarch and what core im using at the bottom. When I go to configurations, under 'load configuration' is says my custom config file is in use. This however is only when I boot retroarch via LB. When I boot up retroarch outside of LB 'load configurations' says its the default retroarch config file. I've tried changing the audio volume '0.300000' and driver 'dsound' as mentioned above, still no luck :( 

Man, I am not sure. I have your custom config on my test pc and it loads fine in Launchbox with sound. If you remove the custom config parameter from your Launchbox setting and have Launchbox just load the game with the default retroarch.cfg does the sound work on the game?

13 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Basically you just load a game using the core you want and change your settings to what you want and then in the Quick Menu (F1) at the very bottom you will see Save Core Overrides and Save Game Overrides. The Core one will save your current settings for that core and the Game one is if you just want to save it for that specific game.

This won't save any shader settings but that is easily taken care of in the shader section. Load a game using the core you want and then go to Quick Menu > Shaders and you will see the Save Core Preset and Save Game preset.

This allows you all sorts of customization either on a core basis or game.

Hi Lord!

Thanks for the info, I will try these when I get home. Quick question about overrides, is there override options to save my Onscreen overlay's? 

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Man, I am not sure. I have your custom config on my test pc and it loads fine in Launchbox with sound. If you remove the custom config parameter from your Launchbox setting and have Launchbox just load the game with the default retroarch.cfg does the sound work on the game?

Hi Retro,

Thanks for quick reply :)

Yes, it does work and this is something I'm currently talking to Lordmonkus in this thread as well. When I clear the custom config parameter it loads the default config and sound works. I manage to use the override tip from Lordmonkus and I've got my core and shader override settings setup and yes the sound works inside LB. However, the only problem is that I have important onscreen overlays (took me ages to set up) that I want to somehow save from my custom config (LB) into the default config of retroarch. Is there some way of doing this or another override option for onscreen overlay? Cheers, and I hope I'm making sense -_- 

1 minute ago, cbee69 said:

Hi Retro,

Thanks for quick reply :)

Yes, it does work and this is something I'm currently talking to Lordmonkus in this thread as well. When I clear the custom config parameter it loads the default config and sound works. I manage to use the override tip from Lordmonkus and I've got my core and shader override settings setup and yes the sound works inside LB. However, the only problem is that I have important onscreen overlays (took me ages to set up) that I want to somehow save from my custom config (LB) into the default config of retroarch. Is there some way of doing this or another override option for onscreen overlay? Cheers, and I hope I'm making sense -_- 

I think the core override will also save an overlay. You just need to load a game using that core and then F1 and set the overlay, much like you did with the shader. I have not really messed with that piece in core overrides. @Lordmonkus I am sure will reply when online to confirm or deny. 

In the meantime since sound works with default .cfg I would remove the copy of the custom .cfg you did (don't delete just remove from the cfg folder and save it) and then try creating a clean custom .cfg just to see if in fact that first one got corrupt. I have had that happen before.

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah core overrides will save bezels/overlays. I use bezels myself and that's how I save different ones for different systems.

Hey Neil,

How are you and thanks for replying :)

Quick question, when we do core or any other overrides like shaders etc, what and where are these files located in retroarch???

• 2 weeks later...

On certain setups i got this sound issue problem.i solved checking retroarch in The fullscreen option,setting it on non esclusive fullscreen mode but windowed .had sound back and no performance issues at all.

Edited by Zaero

• 1 year later...

I have this exact problem on a new NUC8i3. No audio when loading Content directly (not specific to Launch Box, loading content directly from the command line does the same thing) but audio works if I load the Content from within the RetroArch UI. It also works if I use non-exclusive Fullscreen, but I can't because my desktop resolution is 4k and I have performance issues so I use fullscreen @1080p for RetroArch. Has there been anything new discovered surrounding this problem?

• 1 year later...

So my kids dropped our HTPC keyboard and someone stepped on it, hitting some keys and changing settings I wasn't aware of while in RA. Apparently PF9 is a shortcut to mute audio in Retroarch.  After realizing menu sounds were working but not in-game sounds for any ROM PLAYED, I saw this thread and mention of a Mute setting.  Mute was not turned on, from what I could tell, but I saw the shortcut to mute in the *. CFG file.  Went back in and hit PF9 and I'll be darned if the sound didn't come back on. 

I had backed up config files and game content before reinstalling RA in an attempt to fix the problem, but inadvertently brought the mute over to the new install via the config file. 

Try hitting PF9 (f9) and see if that gets you where you need to be. Thankful for this thread as I wasn't looking in the right place till I read through it. 

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar problem. What I can see in common with some of the other posters, is that we're routing the audio for Retroarch somewhere other than the default sound device. For me, I run Launchbox on my Windows PC using an NVidia graphics card and USB DAC audio, though the emulators/games themselves launch on a CRT which is connected to a secondary AMD graphics card and to the on-board Realtek audio out.

Rather than no sound, I'm having the problem that for some cores, the sound continues to come out through the main PC speakers, rather than through the CRT. Retroarch is set in the WIndows sound settings to always output to the CRT. I don't understand why the sound would go to the CRT for some cores, and to the main PC speakers for others. I've tried the solutions mentioned above to no avail. If I launch the same games within Retroarch rather than Launchbox, the sound works fine. So the problem seems to be something to do with the launching of the game from Launchbox, or at least the initial startup of Retroarch not being assigned by Windows to the correct audio device.

Any help appreciated!

EDIT: Fixed it by changing the default sound output device within the RA settings

Edited by Retrofrogg