LaunchBox Community Forums

Startup videos vlc

NJDave71

I have a similar issue, where every 10th time or so VLC will play the video but with grey corruption. I think these issues are to do with VLC still loading while loading the content at the same time so it can’t keep up and missing the first key frame.

As I occasionally have the same issue with my own install of VLC when first opening a video. 

im having this issue as well. when i loadup platform videos vlc pixelates with green, grey distortion for about 3 seconds then sorts itself out untill i scroll to another wheel or system. i switched to windows media player and all is fine there but some of my game videos thenn do not play. the game videos play fine in vlc. is this a setting issue in vlc or something else. any suggestions?

• 5 months later...

I just purchased Big Box and I too am experiencing the green/grey pixelation during the first few seconds of a few of my game video snaps. I have yet to find a solution but I think I've made some progress toward one. I decided to open the suspect videos directly in VLC and get the same pixelation during the first few seconds. However, the problem goes away if I go to the Tools>Preferences>Input/Codecs section in VLC and set "Hardware-accelerated decoding" to "DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0." Unfortunately, even though the videos now play fine in VLC, they still have the pixelation problem in Big Box. It appears that Big Box uses it's own VLC configuration file which is located in the main Launchbox folder under the "VLC" folder. I believe the line in this config that needs to be changed is "avcodec-hw=" and it needs to be changed to "avcodec-hw=dxva2". For some reason though I can't get the changes to the config file to be recognized in Big Box. Anyhow, I feel like I'm close to a solution and thought I would post here, just in case the above info helps toward a solution.

2 minutes ago, vidiotmych said:

Thanks for the tip! I always use to install k-lite on all my new system builds, but for some reason totally forgot about it. Unfortunately, even after installing the mega pack, the issue is still there.

I often have this issue also, so I just use WMP instead of VLC and that works just fine.

21 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I often have this issue also, so I just use WMP instead of VLC and that works just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried switching over to WMP, but then some of my videos play pretty choppy.

I did figure out a rather inelegant solution though. I've been re-encoding the problem videos with a program called "Avidemux." Re-encoding them to x264 fixes the issue. There's only a handful of my videos that have the pixelation problem, so it's not too much of pain to fix them one by one. 

Just recently started having issues with VLC as well. Color gradation issues, primarily. They play fine in standalone VLC, and work when I switch to WMP option - although I prefer to use VLC.

If I replace the libqt4_plugin.dll with the libqt_plugin.dll (and rename it to libqt4_plugin.dll) the game videos work great in LaunchBox, but startup videos crash BigBox.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 1:36 AM, vidiotmych said:

I just purchased Big Box and I too am experiencing the green/grey pixelation during the first few seconds of a few of my game video snaps. I have yet to find a solution but I think I've made some progress toward one. I decided to open the suspect videos directly in VLC and get the same pixelation during the first few seconds. However, the problem goes away if I go to the Tools>Preferences>Input/Codecs section in VLC and set "Hardware-accelerated decoding" to "DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0." Unfortunately, even though the videos now play fine in VLC, they still have the pixelation problem in Big Box. It appears that Big Box uses it's own VLC configuration file which is located in the main Launchbox folder under the "VLC" folder. I believe the line in this config that needs to be changed is "avcodec-hw=" and it needs to be changed to "avcodec-hw=dxva2". For some reason though I can't get the changes to the config file to be recognized in Big Box. Anyhow, I feel like I'm close to a solution and thought I would post here, just in case the above info helps toward a solution.

I am having this same issue, anyone else have any other solutions, tried reinstalling VLC , and the codec pack, Windows 10 bigbox.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

I have this same issue. Green and grey pixelation on my videos that were automatically downloaded from Emu. This is making Launchbox pretty useless to me =(

Anyone find a fix yet?

This is usually due to read speed of the HDD drive and seems to be down to VLC itself, try WMP instead that doesnt have the same issue for me.

• 3 months later...

Well to be honest this is due to an ancient version of VLC being used in LB. Version 2.2.6 (the one included in LB) has a ton of hardware decoding issues that were long fixed and do not occur as tested on the newest 3.0.4 version.

Problem is, the dlls have changed quite a bit, so it will require changes in LB's code to integrate a newer version.

@Jason Carr has this been looked into? Otherwise guess the only option is to switch to WMP, but this will tax the system a lot more than VLC.

1 hour ago, MADMAN said:

Well to be honest this is due to an ancient version of VLC being used in LB. Version 2.2.6 (the one included in LB) has a ton of hardware decoding issues that were long fixed and do not occur as tested on the newest 3.0.4 version.

Problem is, the dlls have changed quite a bit, so it will require changes in LB's code to integrate a newer version.

@Jason Carr has this been looked into? Otherwise guess the only option is to switch to WMP, but this will tax the system a lot more than VLC.

Responded to this here:

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2018 at 3:36 AM, neil9000 said:

This is usually due to read speed of the HDD drive and seems to be down to VLC itself, try WMP instead that doesnt have the same issue for me.

Dumb question but how do ya switch too wmp in launchbox . Im new to the program