LaunchBox Community Forums

Project: Pedestal arcade with 4x rgb-10 buttons and rgb-sticks (ledblinky)

haleksander

Hi. Earlier this year i built a bartop arcade: ( 

And for my next project i want to build an pedestal arcade with 4 players. 10 buttons each. All buttons and sticks light-controlled via ledblinky.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? I've only seen projects consisting of uneven number of buttons for all the players, and/or having connected not as many buttons as what i'm planning. Is it posible to get 4 encoders for handling the rgb-lighting for each player, or would that be problematic? Does ledblinky handle only one encoder?

I want to use separate encoders for each player's input (due to previous experiences such as giving up making Steam tackle xin-mo controllers and such)

In other words, the plan is to fully map an equivalent of say, an Xbox 360-controller (A,B,X,Y, LB, RB, LT, RT, START, SELECT) so that i can map it in Steam as a fully functional controller (minus L3 and R3) 

Playing Steam games without having to go into controller preferences for each game and adjust the settings in order to make it work with only 8 buttons is preferable. And by using Ledblinky, only relevant buttons would light up for each player.

Hopefully, i'll rarely have to use all buttons in one game, but each player-set would still be compatible if a game would have no option for adjusting controls in case it turns out that say, RT is the unadjustable default button for sliding.

I have two players with 10 buttons on my previous build (check the video) and found it practical when testing new modern games for Steam (or ps1, ps2, xbox etc)

I have 10 buttons each for each encoder but  6 are face buttons two are start and coin and 2 are on the front panel and do various control things when combines with start and coin. They sell them in 10 buttons sets or at least the one I got did.

Edited by DOS76
  • Thanks 1

Albeit, a having less buttons would be a lot cleaner and tidy design, but like i said, i want to check if this Ledblinky thingy is possible since i'm hoping it would help makong it less cluttery in a sense, you know :)

So i'm still wondering if it's as "easy" as just purchasing 4x zero delay encoders (which is the same encoder i'm currently using, and that i'm quite satisfied with, since it works well with Steam vs my previous attempt with a dual Sinoarcade encoder) 

And 4x RGB-encoders (which ones?) for handling only the lights. Or do they all come with both light- and controller- signal handling?) I'm still very new at this ??