LaunchBox Community Forums

Music file/ background Video issue

davemk

Hi all not sure if anyone can help

Recently I have noticed that when I highlight a game in bigbox which has both audio from a video and a mp3 music file, they both play at the same time,

where as before the music file would mute the audio from the video. (hope that makes sense..)

Can anyone help at all

Thanks 

I've noticed this too, but for me it seemed to only be certain themes, and only certain consoles in those themes that seemed to have this issue.  For example, I believe for me it was in Nostalgia , on Super Nintendo Entertainment System, that it would do what you mentioned, and play the video clip as well as the audio clip for the game selected.  I don't recall if I was getting it in any other theme I have installed, but I'm pretty sure I could reproduce it in that one.  I also don't recall if it was this version of Nostalgia, or the previous beta version that I could replicate the above on.

For me, all I needed to do was pick a different theme and my issue went away.  Maybe you can see if that works for you, and then I guess if we can confirm that it's a theme issue, maybe we can report it to the person(s) who wrote the theme to see if they can determine what changed in their theme and/or Launchbox that might be causing that bug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 12:08 AM, CDBlue said:

I've noticed this too, but for me it seemed to only be certain themes, and only certain consoles in those themes that seemed to have this issue.  For example, I believe for me it was in Nostalgia , on Super Nintendo Entertainment System, that it would do what you mentioned, and play the video clip as well as the audio clip for the game selected.  I don't recall if I was getting it in any other theme I have installed, but I'm pretty sure I could reproduce it in that one.  I also don't recall if it was this version of Nostalgia, or the previous beta version that I could replicate the above on.

For me, all I needed to do was pick a different theme and my issue went away.  Maybe you can see if that works for you, and then I guess if we can confirm that it's a theme issue, maybe we can report it to the person(s) who wrote the theme to see if they can determine what changed in their theme and/or Launchbox that might be causing that bug.

Seems to be a theme/View issue for me. Submitted this as a bug the other day.

As shinra mentioned it would probably be beneficial to post on eatkinola's theme thread if you think the issue is related to a theme. Eatkinola has worked diligently to work out kinks in the Nostalgia theme and has welcomed the feedback. That same can be said of our other theme creators. Here is a quick link to the theme thread

Edited by Retro808
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Here is a quick link to the theme thread.

@davemk, @CDBlueAs @Retro808 and @shinra358 suggested, it's a problem with the Nostalgia theme. I've already looked into it and am working out a solution. I'll post an updated version of the theme once I have a fix for y'all to test. Please direct any further comments about this to the Nostalgia support thread. Thanks for reporting the problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alnyden said:

I really don't think it's just a problem with Nostalgia.  I'm having the same issue with RetroFresh and even the default Critical Zone in certain situations/views.

Yes this is not a specific theme issue, it’s happening on several of not all. 

@alnyden, @CDBlue, @davemk: Yes I agree it's not a theme-specific problem. When debugging Nostalgia, I switched to the Default view to see how those sound/volume options should work, and the Default view also has problems. I do have a fix in Nostalgia that circumvents this problem (have not yet posted the update), but yes it will affect most if not all themes.

• 9 months later...
On 11/25/2017 at 3:16 AM, Jason Carr said:

Yes, this is a confirmed issue with the latest releases that I have on my list to fix. :)

@Jason Carr

I'm running into the mentioned issue from this thread, where both music audio and video audio start to play together in Big Box randomly (i.e. most of the time, but not always) when using "prioritize soundtrack music over Video Audio" in Big Box. After browsing through the forums I found this thread, so I would be greatful if you could let me know if this issue was ever really resolved, or if there's a workaround for it?  I'm using this with the "four-by-three"  theme in BigBox.

On 11/25/2017 at 12:29 AM, eatkinola said:

@alnyden, @CDBlue, @davemk: Yes I agree it's not a theme-specific problem. When debugging Nostalgia, I switched to the Default view to see how those sound/volume options should work, and the Default view also has problems. I do have a fix in Nostalgia that circumvents this problem (have not yet posted the update), but yes it will affect most if not all themes.

@eatkinola  Please see my reply above to Jason. I'm running into the issue with both music audio and video audio playing together at the same time when using "prioritize soundtrack music over video audio". This is with the four-by-three theme in BigBox.

Based on your comments in this thread I tested the Nostalgia theme and the issue does indeed not occur for me.  Could you possibly share what you changed for the nostalgia theme to work around the issue?  

Edited by Rod

23 minutes ago, Rod said:

@eatkinola  Please see my reply above to Jason. I'm running into the issue with both music audio and video audio playing together at the same time when using "prioritize soundtrack music over video audio". This is with the four-by-three theme in BigBox.

Based on your comments in this thread I tested the Nostalgia theme and the issue does indeed not occur for me.  Could you possibly share what you changed for the nostalgia theme to work around the issue?  

Nostalgia uses a custom video engine, to which I added a fix for that issue. Only themes which use this video engine would see the fix; unfortunately it's not something that it easily changed via a Bigbox setting. Have you tried the most recent version of Bigbox? If you have and this problem still persists, perhaps it's still on Jason's todo list (he's been very busy with LB.Next, which turned out very nice indeed).

Thanks guys for the response.

For what it's worth Jason, the setup I'm using this with is not particularly slow(er). It's using a Core i7-7700HQ (3.8Ghz) with a GTX1070 and SSD.

This is what I've been trying to see if it changes things:

I've tried both the different video replayers VLC and WMP, but that makes do difference. I've tried replacing videos with the smallest file sizes (lowest quality) to large(r) files (highest quality) but that also makes no difference. I have enabled / disabled all kind of combinations of soundtrack / music and video settings but it also makes no difference. It seems very random whether or not the video audio will keep quiet or not.

It's a bit peculiar in the sense that it seems to happen more for some platforms than others. For example with the SNES platform it works 9 out of 10 times correctly, but for example with Commodore Amiga it's almost the exact opposite, like 1 out of 10 times correctly.  So then I tried replacing video files from the Commodore platform with files from the SNES platform (renaming them to the game names in the Commodore folder), but it makes no difference for the Commodore platform.

Would be really great if you could get some time to fix this issue, it's about the last thing that keeps me from having a perfect BigBox experience (Launchbox.Next is already there for me :) )

Please let me know if/when I can help with testing to resolve this issue.