LaunchBox Community Forums

Subcategories

Coleman

Hello,

I am looking for a way to create groups within groups of a category. 

For example - I have a category called "Consoles"

Within the category "Consoles", I have a setup for "Sega Genesis".

This setup includes "everything i have for Sega Genesis, but I would like to make "Sega Genesis a sub category to create multiple Sega Genesis setups... i.e.:

Consoles

Sega Genesis

Sega Genesis Released

Sega Genesis Prototypes

Sega Genesis Home Brew

Sega Genesis Translations

Sega Genesis Hacks

Super Nintendo

Super Nintendo Released

Super Nintendo Prototypes

Super Nintendo Home Brew

Super Nintendo Translations

Super Nintendo Hacks

Etc...

I cant seem to find a way to do this using the current LaunchBox tools :/ 

Am i overthinking this?

Is there an easier way to accomplish what i am after here?

I mostly use LaunchBox because my setup is almost unusable with BigBox due to loading times, so maybe what i am after is more easily accomplished in BigBox, and i am just not aware of it...

I'm so glad you made a thread to request this! I was just thinking the same thing. 

I was looking for a way to not have something like this:  

SNES (US)

SNES (EU)

SNES (JP)

Which clutters up my platforms unnecessarily.

Instead, I think it would be cool if you could click on SNES and then pick the region of the library you want to see. I hope this makes it in soon!

There will be a new poll soon since Jason is just finishing up all last of the things left from the last poll. Hopefully the sub categories will be on the next poll to vote for, beyond that there really is no way to speed it up since Jason makes the decisions on when and what he works on. I try to nudge him in certain directions but all I can do is make suggestions, I have next to zero influence on him for the most part.

For now though the best you can do is like you have posted above but without the "Consoles" category. You can create categories based on the console manufacturer like Nintendo, Sega and Sony, then from there have platforms for each console.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have updated to the most recent beta build, can anyone point me to where I can find how to make a subcategory as described in the above post ? 

for example as

Sega Genesis

Sega Genesis Released

Sega Genesis Prototypes

Sega Genesis Home Brew

Sega Genesis Translations

Sega Genesis Hacks

Super Nintendo

Super Nintendo Released

Super Nintendo Prototypes

Super Nintendo Home Brew

Edited by poopoolapee

Change the view to Categories, then right click a category to make a new one such as Sega Genesis. From there you can either make new categories how you want and have them show under the new category or use playlists.

Right clicking and editing a category, platform or playlist now has a Parent tab where you can pick and choose where they are shown under.

• 9 months later...

For some reason the forum is not letting me create new topic (probably because I just registered, not sure), so I am posting here. I am trying to add subcategories to a Movies category, where I would have serials e.g. "Masha and Medved", "Game of Thrones" etc. (see attachment)

For the life of me, I can't figure out how this should be done. I get warned and I understand it shouldn't be a new platform - that is ok. So I try new playlist or new category, but those do not act and look like a container, because they ask for a single file. And I want to add multiple files to them obviously. I tried drag and drop of the files and import them like ROMs and associate them with my Films platform which is already configured to start VLC. Import wizard goes to last step and lists my files like I would expect and then when I continue it says "Imported 0 files" with no errors or warnings. I am pretty sure this has already been done, so I would appreciate if anyone shares their solution.

Thanks a lot!

2019-07-21_1729.png

You would need to create another platform category within the platform category. It'll look something like this:

Movies (Platform Category) > Game of Thrones (Platform Category) > GOT Season 1 (Platform) > s01e01.mp4 (File) x10

Movies (Platform Category) > Game of Thrones (Platform Category) > GOT Season 2 (Platform) > s02e01.mp4 (File) x10

Or you can import all the files, highlight the episodes from each season and combine them. It'll default with episode one and when you right click on the episode, you can select the next one via the additional apps section. I personally dont like that method but I do use it occasionally.

I would assume the warning is because if there's nothing currently sitting in the platform category, it might not show up in Launchbox despite actually being there. It wont physically show until you put a file into it. 

But I have my content tree'd out by several tiers. It hasnt hurt anything yet.

It would clutter the platforms, if I create too many such subcategories, but oh well ..

P.S. Side question .. is there an option to force assign a single box/cover/front-whatever image to all the files in a subcategory .. i.e. I want the same image for each Game of thrones episode?

Edited by silverchair
side question