LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Dissapeared and all my games that were under retroarch are trying to run through Espxe

mylkman

OK like the title says it seems like retroarch setup has disappeared from my emulators list.  When I try to add emulator all the games and my conf. setup etc is no longer showing.  I'm hoping there is a way to get this back.  Someone please help here.  Thank you 

Ill gladly give you more info.  Retroarch is still installed on my pc. 

You can simply re-add Retroarch to your emulators in the Manage Emulators window and then go to the systems you want to use RA with and use the bulk edit tool to change the emulator.

Select all the games, right click and edit, this will open the bulk edit tool, choose emulator and the emulator you want to use for those games.

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

You can simply re-add Retroarch to your emulators in the Manage Emulators window and then go to the systems you want to use RA with and use the bulk edit tool to change the emulator.

Select all the games, right click and edit, this will open the bulk edit tool, choose emulator and the emulator you want to use for those games.

Yes I know this. I tried this already.   But all of my configurations were gone.  Ill once again go thru all OF MY arcade games, all of my Atari games etc and  change them to the correct config. 

There is no auto save in Launchbox?

Also I ll have to add the platforms that weren't on it.  This took days to do in the first place.

How could this happen in the first place?  I never deleted anything!

Edited by mylkman

All your configs should still be there if Retroarch was never uninstalled or re-installed, those are all within the RA folder.

1 minute ago, mylkman said:

How could this happen in the first place?  I never deleted anything!

I don't know, it's never happened to me and your post about such an issue is the first I have seen. Could be a bug in Launchbox or it's possible you did something or maybe Windows did something screwy.

No I'm talking about the platforms I added to launchbox that i WANTED TO work through retroarch.  and all the config -c that I added to retroarch emulation tab in launchbox

Seems to me this would be in launchbox and have nothing to do with retroarch per say.  IM assuming this either saved some place in a launchbox folder and should be somewhere in a saved file or backup.

Edited by mylkman

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

emulators.xml is where they should be located.

In launchbox?  If so, what folders?  I do see a Backups folder with xml files within launchbox.  And I see 4 emulator.xml files.   I moved 4 of the 5 oldest files in a separate folder and left the oldest there but it still shows retroarch is not there in my emulator list.  This is really a strange occurrence as retroarch has not moved from my Harddrive loacation.

\Launchbox\Data

and

\Launchbox\Backups

\Data is where the currently used files are located and backups are stored in the \Backups folder. If you want to restore from a backup simply copy over the backup you want to use and change the name to emulators.xml. Remove the date part of the name because that is there so you know which is the most recent backup.

Unfortunately the furthest dated backup emulators.xml still didn't show retroarch.  So it must have lost it somewhere prior.  Is there away to stop the backup xml files from deleting itself?  Seems that this auto backups should not delete the furthest dated backup everytime I restart the launchbox application unless I the user set it up this way.  Maybe I did when I first installed launchbox.  But for things like this strange occurance, I wish I could save all my files through a save button in launchbox.  This way I know I have good working backups. 

But really why Does it have to auto backup every launch of launchbox?  Or maybe have increase to 10 or allow the user to say when to save the backup.  This seems more logical to me.   Anywho, thx for all of your advice.  Ill make sure when  get everything working again to save a backup myself.

Edited by mylkman

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

I don't think it auto backups every time you load Launchbox, I think it makes a backup when you make changes.

Anyways, this is a question for @Jason Carr

Yeah as far as I understand it a backup is created when you change something in your setup, be it game or emulator related. This issue is the exact reason that backups are kept in the first place. If you don't have any backups with your Retroarch emulator in them then you have been doing a lot of editing since your Emulator disappeared without actually testing your edits to make sure everything still works correctly, which is always advised if you are changing settings and such.

Yes, it backs up every time a new save is made (when a change has been made) of a particular file, which is pretty much how it should work. I have no idea why an emulator would ever just disappear from LaunchBox, but since that hasn't ever been reported by anyone else before, I'm guessing there's something we're just not understanding here.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, it backs up every time a new save is made (when a change has been made) of a particular file, which is pretty much how it should work. I have no idea why an emulator would ever just disappear from LaunchBox, but since that hasn't ever been reported by anyone else before, I'm guessing there's something we're just not understanding here.

Beats me too!  Didn't touch where retroarch was located.  Never went and did anything in any of the .xml files.  I did not delete anything.  I didn't revert windows back to a previous one.  All i ever was doing is adding platforms.  My last one I added was PS2.  And today I went to play an arcade game and to my surprise espxe tried loading the game.