LaunchBox Community Forums

Autodelete roms and media?

DerHof2007

So, I got away from this project of transitioning from Hyperspin to Launchbox about a year ago... some other projects came up.

<sarcasm>It's always fun to try and remember what 1000 settings mean that you haven't used in that amount of time</sarcasm>... fortunately LB/BB is much more intuitive than HS.

Anyway... I may be mistaken but I seem to recall some talk about deleting games and media.
I'm not the type to want 1000's of roms and media I will never use. I started trimming this down before (sort of manually) and would like to finish.
While going through and playing games in MAME and finding one I don't want is there an option to somehow delete the rom and media automatically?

If not I have a method with a batch file I can use that takes a little more time but not the end of the world. I have my MAME roms whittled down to 916 roms.... most likely will get that down to 300 or less.

So if there is any way to automate this with LB......

10 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Tools > Options > General

There you can turn on "Allow deleting ROMS when deleting games", this won't remove the media but you can use the "Clean Up Images" tool in the Tools menu and it will scan for media that belongs to missing games.

Thank you!!
Ha! I KNEW I saw how to do this before... problem was I was trying to do this from BigBox instead of Launchbox!

11 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Just to state it Clean up images only cleans up images any music manuals or videos you had for the game will have to be deleted manually still.

No problem.... I have a batch file set up that makes this a snap. I'll finish off the rom list and will be able to clean out the artwork in less than 10 minutes.

17 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I'm not sure if turning this option on in Launchbox affects BigBox mode as well, I have never used it myself.

And no... I already had that box checked in LB.... but saw no way to do in BB.

Thanks again!

The "allow deleting roms when deleting games" feature has limitations as it will only delete what LaunchBox is aware of.
If an arcade game uses a CHD then this will not be deleted when the working rom is deleted.
Another example of this is where the game for deletion consists of, say, a cue and bin with LaunchBox pointing to the cue. Here the cue will be deleted but the bin will be left.

Cue + bin is what Retroarch and Mednafen use for Playstation, Saturn, Sega CD and PC Engine CD games. Though they do support some other disk image formats cue + bin are the most common.

As for Launchbox not deleting other files beyond the one imported this is a feature and extremely unlikely to change in the future, Jason does not want to be guessing as to what else to delete along with the imported file itself as that could run into very serious issues.

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

Cue + bin is what Retroarch and Mednafen use for Playstation, Saturn, Sega CD and PC Engine CD games. Though they do support some other disk image formats cue + bin are the most common.

As for Launchbox not deleting other files beyond the one imported this is a feature and extremely unlikely to change in the future, Jason does not want to be guessing as to what else to delete along with the imported file itself as that could run into very serious issues.

Gotcha... I guess I forgot about that. I actually may have some for PC format. All my focus has been on MAME and C64 lately as these will be 95% of my use.

As for deleting existing artwork and videos if LB can't do... if anyone needs any info how to do this quickly I'll get some instructions posted here.

Hmmm.... well this can be slightly more difficult than I thought to delete my videos and stuff... wasn't thinking that LB names this files like the game instead of the rom like Hyperspin does.
My method depended on this naming structure.

So, I figured since I whittled the entire mame collection down to 195 roms worth keeping.... I can just re-download the videos since its not that many.

For some reason its not working.... my connection to emumovies is good.

But when I go to download metadata and media... I selected 'Video -HD Gameplay' and 'Video-Theme'.... it only downloaded one theme video out of all my roms....
Selected 'Yes, but do not replace any existing fields or media'

Tried twice... any thoughts?

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 2:40 PM, damageinc86 said:

I'd like to be able to check a box that said "delete ALL media related to this game".  That way I don't have to go find the videos manually.  Just make it take care of the entire thing. 

I thought this was an option in the new version?