LaunchBox Community Forums

I'm new to forums I hope this was a fitting (I think the word is discussion to join?)

lukeycold

I was recently inspired by the email that was sent by Launchbox about the legal problems they've been having with a certain individual and it's convinced me to do a lot of things (including buying the service!). So I just wanted to know how does one participate in a forum. (This may be the ultimate noob question in a noob discussion I would guess.) If there's any way I can help the LaunchBox community I would also like to see what I can do to help including busywork that no one else would like to do. ^_^

I also joined because of the email I seen this morning, I would like to help you make some money if somebody else think's stealing it is better that is not my why of thinking.

I am going to go start reading what I have to do to make the LauchBox work, but my question is going to be , I want to buy this for the grand-kids when they come to vist  

so they can  play with, Is there more then buying a license and downloading the app, do I go chasing games for it or are games already installed and reeady to go?

Yes I am reading the forums to try and find my answers  to these questions in the mean time.

Happy New Year

• Like 1

Welcome to the community!

As to how you can participate, that's entirely up to you. If you're artistically-inclined, you can make artwork (clear logos, banners, etc.) which can be shared in the downloads section, you can post help guides/tutorials on various emulators/emulation-related topics either in written or video-format - we have quite a few already between those on the forums and those on the LB youtube channel but there's always something else to add! As @Lordmonkus mentioned, you can also help out on our Games DB if you want - there's always work to be done there and the more help the better.

That said, don't feel in any way obligated to do anything you don't want to do - just being a friendly community member and shooting the breeze about old video games is perfectly fine too :)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hammertime68 said:

I also joined because of the email I seen this morning, I would like to help you make some money if somebody else think's stealing it is better that is not my why of thinking.

Welcome!

12 minutes ago, hammertime68 said:

I am going to go start reading what I have to do to make the LauchBox work, but my question is going to be , I want to buy this for the grand-kids when they come to vist  

This would be a good place to start for that:

13 minutes ago, hammertime68 said:

Is there more then buying a license and downloading the app, do I go chasing games for it or are games already installed and reeady to go?

No games are included with Launchbox itself. It's a front-end for organizing your digital game collection, whether that be Super Nintendo roms, games on Steam, some old DOS games, whatever.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammertime68 said:

so they can  play with, Is there more then buying a license and downloading the app, do I go chasing games for it or are games already installed and reeady to go?

Yes I am reading the forums to try and find my answers  to these questions in the mean time.

Happy New Year

Games and emulators you have to source on your own because distributing them with the front end would be illegal. Getting emulators and setting them up is the easy part, roms aren't too hard to get but you will have to do a little searching on your own, sorry we cannot provide links to the best places because of legal reasons.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2017 at 10:00 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Welcome to the community and feel free to join in on any discussion you like but if you want to really handle some busy work you can help out with the database which you will need to make separate login for.

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/account/signin?returnurl=%2fgames%2fadd

Don't want to hijack this - I am new to this forum as well.  How does one hop in and help with the database?  Is there any forum topic that lists out systems that need some help filling in?

You will need to make a 2nd login sepcifically for the Database here: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/account/signin?returnurl=%2fgames%2fadd

As for which systems, just look through  the database and see where you see gaps that need filling in and you feel you can help out with it. Make submissions and a group of database moderators will vote and decide whether or not your submissions meet the standards and should be approved. You can also get on the public Discord channel where we have a database channel, though that specific channel has been quiet lately but it is a place to discuss it with others if you are so inclined. https://discord.gg/X3Cwsyw