LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box isn't regaining Window Focus after game exit

Aabra

I am trying to configure Minecraft to work with my Big Box setup.  This is the windows app version of it and so I am forced to link Launchbox to a shortcut I created for it since if there's an actual .exe file Windows hides it very well.  Doing this works without issue and when I select it - it launches straight in.  The only problem I am experiencing is after exiting out of Minecraft I can then see the Big Box screen but it doesn't have window focus.  I have to press a mouse button for the window to regain focus and be able to navigate again.  Any idea how I can resolve this issue? 

I have experienced this problem on my HTPC but never my main PC. Somehow though the problem did fix itself and I really don't know what changed to fix it, one workaround I did use to deal with the issue was to set up an Alt + Tab function on the controller useing Xpadder (or AntiMicro) so that when the issue did arise I simply used that to get LB to regain focus.

Like I said though that is no longer an issue on my HTPC and I wish I knew what changed to fix it.

1 hour ago, damageinc86 said:

a front end as good as launchbox should just get its focus back without having to use a workaround

I agree fully but like I said, it was an issue that happened for a short period and now it doesn't happen and I have no idea what made it not happen. So i don't know if it was just a bug in a previous build of LB or maybe something else changed outside of LB to make it stop behaving that way.

To be clear I don't have this problem with pretty much everything else that I run through Big Box.  All other games and emulators work just fine without issue.  Perhaps it's because Minecraft is a Windows App that is causing the extra grief?  This is the Windows Store version of Minecraft which has full controller support... perfect for a Big Box setup.  Mapping alt-tab to the controller through xpadder would probably work I'm sure although I really would like to avoid xpadder if at all possible.  Nothing else needs it and it really shouldn't be necessary.

1 hour ago, Aabra said:

To be clear I don't have this problem with pretty much everything else that I run through Big Box.  All other games and emulators work just fine without issue.  Perhaps it's because Minecraft is a Windows App that is causing the extra grief?

Ok well this helps narrow it down and since it only happens for you with one specific app then it is most likely that app is the cause of the issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just started to play with windows games (Steam, GOG, windows store) and find that the regaining focus back to Big Box on exit of a given game is very hit and miss and in fact is inconsistent.

I find that some on exit return focus 100% of the time and some are quite random, and it's not based on the source - so I see erratic behavior from Celeste (Steam) and Cuphead (Windows Store) - but 100% reliable functioning from GRIP and Gris (Steam).

I have setup an xpadder ALT/TAB button to let me regain focus, but the inconsistency is a little annoying.

sTeVE

I seem to be having this issue now. I’ve ne er had it before. I only noticed it since the update before last that introduced game loading splash screens. 

Im using controller automation to close the running window on my arcade cab. It closes the window and goes back to bigbox but it’s not in focus until I use a keyboard and alt tab. 

Ive noticed sometimes using controller automation to close the window just goes to a black screen too. 

It all used to work perfect so no idea what’s going on!

Also experiencing the issue (black screen on exit) here quite frequently, but randomly. Seems to affect Dolphin more so than other emulators. I'm using controller automation to exit, but only Alt-Tab brings Big Box back.

Edited by dkr88

Further playing around and I am finding that in my case I do not see a black screen at all, just loss of focus.

Whilst I have not used the windows game features much before I am now seeing games which in previous versions of BB were 100% reliable become flaky at returning control to BB.

But that is happening frequently and unlike previous versions - so I am experiencing issues I have not seen before.

sTeVE

Edited by jetbootjack

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry for not understanding, but how do I make sure this is scripted to run on exit?  I'm having a lot of trouble with this too.  Especially with GameCube Dolphin games.

I've copied the DLL to the plugins folder.

I've copied the AHK into the AutoHotKey folder.

I guess I'm not supposed to do anything with the Source folder?

Thanks

On 4/22/2019 at 9:13 PM, kaichou said:

I'm sorry for not understanding, but how do I make sure this is scripted to run on exit?  I'm having a lot of trouble with this too.  Especially with GameCube Dolphin games.

I've copied the DLL to the plugins folder.

I've copied the AHK into the AutoHotKey folder.

I guess I'm not supposed to do anything with the Source folder?

Thanks

RegainFocus.zip

Download this.

Right click on the zip file, properties and choose "Unblock".

Put the dll in plugins folder.

put .ahk in autohotkey directory.

Start a game in LB/BB.

Exit the game.

If you get a message box pop up that says "Hello".

Replace the .ahk with this one.

RegainFocus.ahk

I think the issue is, the original .ahk had "Launchbox" but should be "LaunchBox"

• 2 weeks later...

OK, finally had time to come back to this.  This didn't seem the fix the focus issue.  I exit any Gamecube/Dolphin game, and it doesn't return focus to BigBox.  :( I'll keep searching google, but if you have any other ideas...