LaunchBox Community Forums

Here is the updated script and instructions.  Let me know if any issues and I can try to fix.  Attached file but may become outdated so check github link.

https://github.com/ptmorris1/RPCS3-ISOLauncher-Launchbox

The script.

https://github.com/ptmorris1/RPCS3-ISOLauncher-Launchbox/blob/master/RPCS3-ISO-LaunchBox.ps1

RPCS3-ISO-LaunchBox.ps1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey @phunky1, is there any requirement for the ISO file? Basically what I've did is create an ISO file from my JB format (the ripped game disc) because I am too lazy to rip my discs a second time. What happens is ISO is mounted successfully to a drive, rpcs3 is started and starts compiling shaders and what is required and then I either end up with the game crashing or giving an error of the sort "HDD game is corrupted" (although the game is not HDD but a disc game). I've tried 2 games and one is crashing the other one errors out. I am using ImgBurn app to create the ISO from the folders with everything default settings.

Regards

Edited by silverchair

I use PS3_ISO_TOOLS V2.2.exe to build my ISO.  Not sure if ImgBurn will work or not.  As far as HDD game is corrupted, not really sure.  Check the RPCS3 site for game compatibility.  Also test you JB format game before ISO conversion and see if same error.  My tool literally just mounts the ISO so it doesn't have to be extracted out each time to play.  Any errors will be on your side and with RPCS3 most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

@phunky1 Happy New Year! Yes, the JB format games I try with work properly when started as JB format, but once an ISO is created from them, the problem I described occurs. I tried to create ISO with PS3_ISO_TOOLS V2.2.exe using both options it has and the same issue unfortunately. I was using this script instead of yours till now https://github.com/jayjun911/ps3launcher but decided to try yours, to see if that ain't the problem. However I am having issue with your script - it unmounts the ISO before rpcs3 is able to compile shaders etc. In fact the ISO stays mounted only for a few seconds, which cannot be correct! What am I missing? (I am using WindowsPowershell)

P.S. I commented out the last line of code responsible for the unmount, so that ISO is never unmounted now. I get the same errors with both games I test with. Can you give me an example of a working game with this approach?

Edited by silverchair

Not really sure why you have issues.  I would have said to try and extend the ISO mounting time out but you said you commented out and still have the problem.

The only other thing I would try is to right click ISO in windows and mount.  Then manually use it with RPCS3 and see if that works.  Should be same as JB format.

This script just does that, mounts the ISO as a drive letter, runs the eboot file, unmounts drive once RPCS3 is done.

Try also chaing the timeout to 3 or more seconds.  Start-Sleep -Seconds 2

Well clearly it is not the same as JB format, as when it is in JB, the files are both read and write, while when in ISO medium it is read only. Can you please give me names of games you run successfully in this manner? Also what do you have in Launchbox for the Launching setting of the game (besides pointing to the ISO file?)

On 1/4/2022 at 12:03 PM, silverchair said:

Well clearly it is not the same as JB format, as when it is in JB, the files are both read and write, while when in ISO medium it is read only. Can you please give me names of games you run successfully in this manner? Also what do you have in Launchbox for the Launching setting of the game (besides pointing to the ISO file?)

A PS3 disc is read only, JB format may be R\W but RPCS3 is not modifying any files just like a real PS3 with a disc would behave.  I have used this method with any compatible game, one I recall that is small and good to test with 3D Dot Game Heroes.  The problem appears to be on your side.

Have you read?  https://github.com/ptmorris1/RPCS3-ISOLauncher-Launchbox

48 minutes ago, phunky1 said:

A PS3 disc is read only, JB format may be R\W but RPCS3 is not modifying any files just like a real PS3 with a disc would behave.  I have used this method with any compatible game, one I recall that is small and good to test with 3D Dot Game Heroes.  The problem appears to be on your side.

Have you read?  https://github.com/ptmorris1/RPCS3-ISOLauncher-Launchbox

@phunky1 yes I have and in fact as I mentioned I initially tried this with a different script, but switched to yours, however issue is with both. Tried a fresh rpcs3 install on a completely different machine - absolutely same issue. I have no idea what's going on, but do not see how this could be my fault as I am following elementary instructions to the letter. And everything works as described until the moment the game is supposed to start, then it all falls apart.

On my end and for some reason I can't figure out, 3D Dot Game doesn't work at all when you mount the iso and launch it from there ( iso created with PS3 iso Rebuilder with all files matching CRC). Doesn't matter if I use Launchbox with this script or launch it manually from rpcs3. Same with other popular games like Persona 5 and The Last of Us.

19 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

On my end and for some reason I can't figure out, 3D Dot Game doesn't work at all when you mount the iso and launch it from there ( iso created with PS3 iso Rebuilder with all files matching CRC). Doesn't matter if I use Launchbox with this script or launch it manually from rpcs3. Same with other popular games like Persona 5 and The Last of Us.

Right, it only shows in game on compatibility page so makes sense.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:02 AM, silverchair said:

@phunky1 yes I have and in fact as I mentioned I initially tried this with a different script, but switched to yours, however issue is with both. Tried a fresh rpcs3 install on a completely different machine - absolutely same issue. I have no idea what's going on, but do not see how this could be my fault as I am following elementary instructions to the letter. And everything works as described until the moment the game is supposed to start, then it all falls apart.

Sorry it doesn't work for you, not sure how to help.  I am not a dev.  I haven't even touched the emulator in months and don't even use it.  I just posted this script to possibly help someone else since it worked for me.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Can anyone that is still using rpcs3 confirm whether ISOs are working for them with rpcs3 irrelevant of whether they just mount them or via this or other script. My problem is not with the script, I just can't get rpcs3 to work with the ISO mount workaround. And yes I know officially rpcs3 does not support ISOs.

Regards

2 hours ago, silverchair said:

Can anyone that is still using rpcs3 confirm whether ISOs are working for them with rpcs3 irrelevant of whether they just mount them or via this or other script. My problem is not with the script, I just can't get rpcs3 to work with the ISO mount workaround. And yes I know officially rpcs3 does not support ISOs.

Regards

In my experience, it works just fine on most of the games I converted to iso, mounted and launched the folder/eboot.bin. There are a only a few games that work when launched normally but don't work or get stuck on an infinite loading screen when launched from an iso mounted on a virtual drive, examples of games with that issue are 3D Dot Game Heroes and Persona 5.

14 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

In my experience, it works just fine on most of the games I converted to iso, mounted and launched the folder/eboot.bin. There are a only a few games that work when launched normally but don't work or get stuck on an infinite loading screen when launched from an iso mounted on a virtual drive, examples of games with that issue are 3D Dot Game Heroes and Persona 5.

Thanks for confirming, so I guess the 2 games I tried are one of those that do not work. As I aim for 100% compatibility even if only some do not work, this would not be a feasible option for me, so the whole "workaround" is a dead end. I guess we would have to wait for rpcs3 devs to add support for discs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/1/2022 at 12:05, silverchair said:

Thanks for confirming, so I guess the 2 games I tried are one of those that do not work. As I aim for 100% compatibility even if only some do not work, this would not be a feasible option for me, so the whole "workaround" is a dead end. I guess we would have to wait for rpcs3 devs to add support for discs.

Ok I have checked and I have the same problem with several games, black or infinite screens. ok and I say... maybe it is not that being in another place the game mount makes unable to read it due to encryption issues? 

I think the problem may be there, it doesn't make sense for it to be another, right?

Edited by carylanda

Shouldn't be, I believe the JB format is already decrypted and it plays fine. Also, since we only make an ISO from it without specifying keys etc needed for encryption/decryption, just reading from them should be basically 1:1. I have no explanation what is happening to be honest, but it is not a fault of this script for sure. RPCS3 devs are doing great job, so I expect they would get to disc support sooner rather than later.

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2018 at 10:17 AM, Landcross said:

Well, at the moment nowhere. If I were to share it here I'd have to finetune it a bit and remove some rough edges. I can do that, but don't have much time at the moment.
If you don't use Redump ISOs or just have all your isos stored unencrypted, my script won't work anyway and you'd be better of with the one from @phunky1 :)

Did you ever end up cleaning up your script for use with the redump iso's? im using the redumps also and decrypting thousands of roms isnt very fun, so if you still had the scrypt lying around i'd love to check it out. thanks!