LaunchBox Community Forums

Need some background music

spectral

While I think having the video's as part of a theme looks really good, the audio from them, especially for some of the older systems can be a bit grating. I was hoping to have an appropriate background music for each platform but it I can't find a way to do that. So I am looking for some recommendations for some general background music. I'm after something somewhat mellow that will kind of just blend in rather than stand out, something that sounds gamey but since it will play under everything not system or game specific.

Yeah, it's a real bummer than you can't do anything platform-specific like that.

How about something like this:

But, if like you said, you need something that is quiet and just in the background, either the PS2 or Gamecube system config sounds would work:

Edited by tbm

On my setup I have Outrun Synth music (no vocals) playing in the background. Plenty of that stuff on youtube. Blends in nice since it sounds retro but also modern. I also removed all system videos and replaced them all with my own graphical creations for each system (which I'll be uploading soon). That way I don't have to listen to the video music, just background music. It's clean and quick and looks great and I can browse everything just listening to the background music.

I don't like system specific music because older systems have terrible sounding music and it takes way too long to find it, especially for more obscure systems.

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Stovies said:

A year on, we really need a way of playing music per system at the top level of big box.  A music file separate from the video audio.

Unfortunately it did not get many votes on the last community poll. I think it only got around 10 votes. So it is on the radar, just not a heavily requested feature. Maybe next poll it will make the cut. 

This would be an awesome feature indeed.
My ideal scenario would be to have specific background music per platform/playlist, and once you enter the game details screen, the background music fades out, letting you hear the actual game sound from the video snap. Going back to the game selection screen fades in the background music back.

• Like 1

Kondorito. I think we have that already. I have specific music files playing within a platform where the full list of games is available.  When you select a game, the screen after that has the game sound.  What I want however is music at the top platform select menu.

8 minutes ago, Stovies said:

Kondorito. I think we have that already. I have specific music files playing within a platform where the full list of games is available.  When you select a game, the screen after that has the game sound.  What I want however is music at the top platform select menu.

I did not know! Will test it out as soon as I get home; I thought I already tried it, and the music did not fade out on game details screen. Cheers Stovies.

• 8 months later...