LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Game Database

joshsmithtogo

MAME is using either 0.174 or 0.175 in LaunchBox I've mentioned it a few times and there has been a few other request for an update but seems like its not a real concern and hasn't been addressed yet. You of course can add any games you want manually by using the add button in the bottom right of the LB interface (assuming you have the bottom bar view showing).

I definitely don't disagree but it just seems like there is little interest in getting it accomplished. Also I been thinking about if maybe the LBDB added a status line for MAME games and users could mark the games status in the DB and any games marked as working would be imported this way it would be out of Jason's hands and in the hands of the users.

Just now, DOS76 said:

I definitely don't disagree but it just seems like there is little interest in getting it accomplished. Also I been thinking about if maybe the LBDB added a status line for MAME games and users could mark the games status in the DB and any games marked as working would be imported this way it would be out of Jason's hands and in the hands of the users.

Yeah that's not a bad idea either, but Jason would have to spend time on the database as I'm not sure where vlansix is these days. So its time he would have to put in either way.

To clear up some misconceptions here, we *do* use the mameinfo.dat and history.dat files. The trouble is that those two pieces of data alone do *not* provide all the information we need in order to get all the filtering logic working properly in LaunchBox. There are a number of other fields that are provided by other sources. So combining them all is what's tricky. I do realize that it all needs to be updated; hopefully I can do that soon here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi.

I'm a new user to Launchbox and am slowly transitioning from Hyperspin. I'm really happy with my purchase so far, but this MAME situation is a bit of a disappointment to be honest. As MAME is updated to frequently, it really needs frequent updates to keep up. I diligently keep my MAME romset up to date, but not being able to see them in Launchbox is frustrating to say the least.

Has there been any progress on this front, or are there any feasible alternative solutions for importing the missing roms?

Although LB isn't updated in MAME if you are knowledgeable about the program and check on what is added which hasn't really been much except Tiger Handhelds you can add the stuff you want manually every month. I know that this isn't the best option but it is totally available to you just depends on how much work you are willing to put into it. Hopefully the update will be coming soon as it was voted high up on the poll.

• Like 1