LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox not starting after 8.0 update

tjwoosta

1 hour ago, maycon andrade said:

i'm having the same issue guys...

launchbox open just fine but bigbox doesn't...

it appears in task manager but with no cpu usage just ram

i tryed removing the themes didn't work.

Yep seems fixing .net did not fix it and other .net apps like mediacentremaster are not affected.  Its only BigBox with this issue. Definitely seems to be a bigbox issue with 8.0

Edited by Vhero

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Try reinstalling and does Launchbox mode work without errors ?

I installed a fresh install in a new location and bigbox still doesn't work for me. It just gets stuck with the bigbox logo on the screen. Launchbox works fine on both installs. Im not experiencing the long launchbox load time someone else mentioned either.

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Vhero Check Task Manager to see if there are any instances of LaunchBox or Big Box running in that case. If there's nothing wrong, then there's really no way that LaunchBox or Big Box could be killing CPU usage, unless there's some kind of insane Windows or .NET Framework bug. Also I'd recommend making sure your 100% up to date on all Windows updates. Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 10?

It also might be worth reinstalling the .NET Framework, as that has fixed some strange oddities for some other people as well. This kind of stuff is typically not related to the LaunchBox code, and is more likely due to some kind of corrupted install or corrupted driver (often the .NET Framework). Big Box often pushes systems to their limits, so it's no surprise that weird stuff will come out through Big Box.

@tjwoosta What version did you upgrade from? Were you on 7.16 before upgrading to 8.0? You can enable logging by changing the DebugLog line of the Settings.xml file, which may or may not help figure this out.

Yes, I was on 7.16 before upgrading. I had just used it day before I upgraded and everything was working fine then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Vhero I'm not convinced that everyone's issues here are necessarily the same, or even related. Did you confirm if Big Box or LaunchBox were still running after checking Task Manager?

Yes I confirmed it was not running.  I'll also link to this post which seems it was an issue back in the  BETA too. Once Bigbox has ran once launchbox takes a long time to initialize. I believe Bigbox is doing the same thing which is possible making it seem like its crashed/frozen. All windows and hardware drivers are upto date. Task manager shows launchbox or bigbox only using a tiny bit of RAM and no CPU after attempting to launch after bigbox was closed like something else is still running or there is a leak. 

Edited by Vhero

1 minute ago, tjwoosta said:

I installed a fresh install in a new location and bigbox still doesn't work for me. It just gets stuck with the bigbox logo on the screen. Launchbox works fine on both installs. Im not experiencing the long launchbox load time someone else mentioned either.

Yes, I was on 7.16 before upgrading. I had just used it day before I upgraded and everything was working fine then.

Okay, good to know. My hunch is that this is somehow related to the Chrome integration we added, and there's some sort of semi-rare incompatibility on certain systems that's causing it. It's just a hunch at this point, but can you try installing these C++ redistributables just to make sure that's not the issue:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Thanks! Let me know if that resolves it. If so, at least I know how to fix it. Otherwise we're gonna have to really dive in deep.

Okay, so, on first launch Big Box does extract a rather extensive set of files for the Chrome integration. However, this should only happen on first launch. There could also be a problem if the process is killed half-way through, come to think of it as well (though probably unlikely). @tjwoosta Does Big Box start up quickly now that it loaded up?

1 minute ago, tjwoosta said:

Bouncing between 0 and 0.1%

Exactly same for me and if I quit before it fully launches launchbox then does the same and takes about 2 minutes to boot. Have to force PC reboot to get launchbox working fine again. It will work perfect as many time as I boot it until I boot BigBox..

Just now, Kondorito said:

Hey guys, throwing this here, sorry in advance if it has nothing to do with the problem, but try disabling the antivirus. And you could try running the PC in Safe Mode and launching BB to see what happens as well. 

Not a bad idea. It very well could be crappy anti-virus interfering. Safe mode isn't a bad idea either. Thanks @Kondorito.

2 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Hey guys, throwing this here, sorry in advance if it has nothing to do with the problem, but try disabling the antivirus. And you could try running the PC in Safe Mode and launching BB to see what happens as well. 

no antivirus installed, well actually no there was none until an hour ago. I installed one to check for viruses as honestly ripping my hair out with this issue. I bought this software for an arcade and cant really keep restarting my machine all the time because of that.