LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox not starting after 8.0 update

tjwoosta

14 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Not a bad idea. It very well could be crappy anti-virus interfering. Safe mode isn't a bad idea either. Thanks @Kondorito.

No prob. 

The Process Explorer tool might shed some light as well on extra processes that the Task Manager could not be showing.

Also, if the new update is adding Chrome components to the set, checking the installed Chrome version, or uninstalling it could be another thing to troubleshoot.

Just thinking out loud on all kinds of possible tinkering. 

23 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, another thing to test. Once Big Box loads are you able to use the built-in PDF reader to view manuals? Is performance in Big Box still poor once it finally loads?

Just tried now after a long ten minute wait. Bigbox runs smooth as butter once actually running and the manuals load fine too (had to add a few first though lol). Its just that 10 minutes waiting time. Hit switch back to desktop mode and so far have waited 1 minute for launchbox to reload and still waiting.. I will add also when closing launchbox its not ending in task manager forcing me to manually remove the task before i can reload also.

Edited by Vhero

2 minutes ago, Vhero said:

Just tried now after a long ten minute wait. Bigbox runs smooth as butter once actually running and the manuals load fine too (had to add a few first though lol). Its just that 10 minutes waiting time. Hit switch back to desktop mode and so far have waited 1 minute for launchbox to reload and still waiting.. 

Okay, thanks for the info. No reason to keep reiterating the same info over and over again though lol... ;)

I'm wondering if the big wait somehow has to do with 7-zip. Do you see anything in task manager called 7-Zip or "7-Zip Console" while you're waiting for Big Box to load?

5 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

No prob. 

The Process Explorer tool might shed some light as well on extra processes that the Task Manager could not be showing.

Also, if the new update is adding Chrome components to the set, checking the installed Chrome version, or uninstalling it could be another thing to troubleshoot.

Just thinking out loud on all kinds of possible tinkering. 

Sure. The Chrome portion is portable and should be completely unrelated to any installed version of Chrome (in theory).

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, thanks for the info. No reason to keep reiterating the same info over and over again though lol... ;)

I'm wondering if the big wait somehow has to do with 7-zip. Do you see anything in task manager called 7-Zip or "7-Zip Console" while you're waiting for Big Box to load?

Nope :( Also would point out all my roms are uncompressed if thats where you were going?

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, tjwoosta said:

I think the waiting time may be somehow related to how many games you have because on my primary bigbox install that has over 13k games Ive been waiting for about 25 minutes and it still hasn't loaded...

Nothing in task manager about 7zip

Okay, good to know. And yet I assume LaunchBox loads quickly on that machine?

1 minute ago, Vhero said:

Nope :( Also would point out all my roms are uncompressed if thats where you were going?

Capture.PNG

This is another complete shot in the dark, but I noticed Corsair Utility Engine in the list. There were several threads a while back about it somehow interfering with things, such as this thread:

By any chance do you both have that in Task Manager? What happens if you kill that process?

Another thing you could try, just to rule out any weird conflicts like that, is to kill every process you can from Task Manager temporarily and see if the problem still occurs. Thanks for sticking with me on this one guys; we'll get it figured out. We just have to figure out what on earth is unique on you guys' systems that is causing the issue.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Another thing you could try, just to rule out any weird conflicts like that, is to kill every process you can from Task Manager temporarily and see if the problem still occurs. Thanks for sticking with me on this one guys; we'll get it figured out. We just have to figure out what on earth is unique on you guys' systems that is causing the issue.

In theory though this should be similar to using Safe Mode, so that might be an easier thing to try.

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay that didnt work however when shutting down I got an nvidia error which was preventing shutdown which I seen a few times since recent nvidia update. NvFBCPlugin window was preventing windows from shutting down so on reboot I went into geforce experience and turned off in game overlay and HEY PRESTO! I booted up BigBox 5 times with zero slow downs. Launchbox worked fine too and shutting down correctly now. I hope this isn't just a stroke of luck here @tjwoosta can you confirm if this works for you? Seems Big Box does not like overlays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vhero said:

Okay that didnt work however when shutting down I got an nvidia error which was preventing shutdown which I seen a few times since recent nvidia update. NvFBCPlugin window was preventing windows from shutting down so on reboot I went into geforce experience and turned off in game overlay and HEY PRESTO! I booted up BigBox 5 times with zero slow downs. Launchbox worked fine too and shutting down correctly now. I hope this isn't just a stroke of luck here @tjwoosta can you confirm if this works for you? Seems Big Box does not like overlays.

WOW. Very, very good sleuthing sir. Thanks for figuring that out. I'll definitely look into that to see if there's anything we can do to fix that. It's also puzzling how that would have changed for 8.0. Still, so glad we have a good lead, at least.

Just now, tjwoosta said:

Yep, I was about to say the same!

I booted in safe mode and things were working good so I booted back into normal mode and as soon as I killed geforce experience everything was working great. Good to know that I can just disable the overlay to achieve the same.

Good to hear. Sounds like I have some testing to do with that overlay. :)