LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox not starting after 8.0 update

tjwoosta

Ive been using bigbox for a couple years without issues, but yesterday I got the 8.0 update and bigbox no longer starts. It plays my startup video and then just hangs on an infinite black screen. Task manager says not responding and I have to force kill the process. Launchbox seems to work fine, just not bigbox mode.

I thought there might be a log file somewhere that could help but the Logs folder in my launchbox directory is empty.

Edited by tjwoosta

Yep its also causing retroarch to take about 1 minute and a half to load once i used bigbox . My pc runs perfectly fine but once i ran bigbox thats it all other apps have issues running, its not like CPU and memory being used either mem at 37% with all running and CPU 7%

When I look at it, its using 0% cpu to fix this issue I have to restart my computer then all apps work fine I can use my computer and all apps perfectly fine all day. I run bigbox and finish using then all apps boot with low cpu usage it kills cpu usage..

@Vhero Check Task Manager to see if there are any instances of LaunchBox or Big Box running in that case. If there's nothing wrong, then there's really no way that LaunchBox or Big Box could be killing CPU usage, unless there's some kind of insane Windows or .NET Framework bug. Also I'd recommend making sure your 100% up to date on all Windows updates. Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 10?

It also might be worth reinstalling the .NET Framework, as that has fixed some strange oddities for some other people as well. This kind of stuff is typically not related to the LaunchBox code, and is more likely due to some kind of corrupted install or corrupted driver (often the .NET Framework). Big Box often pushes systems to their limits, so it's no surprise that weird stuff will come out through Big Box.

@tjwoosta What version did you upgrade from? Were you on 7.16 before upgrading to 8.0? You can enable logging by changing the DebugLog line of the Settings.xml file, which may or may not help figure this out.

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Vhero Check Task Manager to see if there are any instances of LaunchBox or Big Box running in that case. If there's nothing wrong, then there's really no way that LaunchBox or Big Box could be killing CPU usage, unless there's some kind of insane Windows or .NET Framework bug. Also I'd recommend making sure your 100% up to date on all Windows updates. Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 10?

It also might be worth reinstalling the .NET Framework, as that has fixed some strange oddities for some other people as well. This kind of stuff is typically not related to the LaunchBox code, and is more likely due to some kind of corrupted install or corrupted driver (often the .NET Framework). Big Box often pushes systems to their limits, so it's no surprise that weird stuff will come out through Big Box.

@tjwoosta What version did you upgrade from? Were you on 7.16 before upgrading to 8.0? You can enable logging by changing the DebugLog line of the Settings.xml file, which may or may not help figure this out.

I do believe this is a .NET framework issue however running windows 10 which comes with the framework installed means I cannot re-install them. Its also preventing me from even booting epsxe entirely. Having to use retroarch for ps1 games. My computer thoguh is no slouch being a 4400k and a 980ti with 16gb DDR4.

Just now, Vhero said:

I do believe this is a .NET framework issue however running windows 10 which comes with the framework installed means I cannot re-install them. Its also preventing me from even booting epsxe entirely. Having to use retroarch for ps1 games. My computer thoguh is no slouch being a 4400k and a 980ti with 16gb DDR4.

The latest version of the .NET Framework (4.7.1) does not actually come with the base version of Windows 10, though I believe the updated frameworks do come with the updates to Windows 10, yes. It's messy because at previous times in the past it was or was not (back and forth I think) possible to actually install the latest framework on top of Windows 10 (dumb I know). It's at least worth a shot seeing if you can uninstall/reinstall, or even just trying installing the latest from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56116