LaunchBox Community Forums

8.1-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hey all, I have the first 8.1 beta out with the following:

- Fixed: Alphanumeric navigation in LaunchBox caused a conflict with arrow key navigation (jumping to games starting with "Up")

- Fixed: On rare occasions when switching themes in Big Box and returning to the filters view, the details were not populated and Escape could not be used without first switching the selection

We'll be looking to put out the official 8.1 release relatively quickly, specifically to resolve the first issue above, assuming everything tests out. :)

• Like 3

@Jason Carr  Nice work, and really like the built in PDF View for Manuals!  I just upgraded from 7.x to 8.0-beta-1 and am now having crashing issues in BigBox.  IT appears to be a memory leak as the windows notification simply says something to the effect of "BigBox has run out of memory and can not continue" after trying to let this run overnight.  This did not happen in the last version I was running.  The PC is an i7 2nd Gen, 8GB RAM, and running Windows 10.

I changed the RAM cache from 800MB to 2048MB to see if it will either correct or prolong the inevitable.

Is there anyone else reporting this, or any other detail or log information I can provide that can help with this?

3 hours ago, xoran said:

@Jason Carr  Nice work, and really like the built in PDF View for Manuals!  I just upgraded from 7.x to 8.0-beta-1 and am now having crashing issues in BigBox.  IT appears to be a memory leak as the windows notification simply says something to the effect of "BigBox has run out of memory and can not continue" after trying to let this run overnight.  This did not happen in the last version I was running.  The PC is an i7 2nd Gen, 8GB RAM, and running Windows 10.

I changed the RAM cache from 800MB to 2048MB to see if it will either correct or prolong the inevitable.

Is there anyone else reporting this, or any other detail or log information I can provide that can help with this?

@xoran Unfortunately it's not that uncommon to run out of RAM during attract mode on 8 gig systems. I did a lot of work a while back to reduce RAM usage as much as I could; it's not a memory leak, but rather the CoverFlow images take up a lot of RAM. You can reduce the CoverFlow image quality in the settings, which does help. Another option should be to simply just not use the CoverFlow views, as the other views aren't nearly as RAM-heavy (let me know if you aren't using CoverFlow).

I'm almost certain that this would have nothing to do with the 8.1 release (or at least very little, it could have to do with the Chrome addition taking up slightly more RAM). It's one of those things that is not very common, but does happen, and depends on a lot of different factors.

@Jason Carr Ok, got it. I will mess around with the cover flow quality to see if it helps the situation. 

I have also increased the RAM cache to 2GB to see if that helps. I didn’t know for sure but figured I would try it. 

Again, I can not express how awesome I think BigBox is! The RetroArch integration is badass and if there is a single thing that would be game changing would be to not be SO gamepad dependent. Mame is based on keyboard support, and that’s the difficulty. 

EmulationStation is what I’m thinking...

Anyway, I’m a happy customer!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xoran said:

@Jason Carr Ok, got it. I will mess around with the cover flow quality to see if it helps the situation. 

I have also increased the RAM cache to 2GB to see if that helps. I didn’t know for sure but figured I would try it. 

Again, I can not express how awesome I think BigBox is! The RetroArch integration is badass and if there is a single thing that would be game changing would be to not be SO gamepad dependent. Mame is based on keyboard support, and that’s the difficulty. 

EmulationStation is what I’m thinking...

Anyway, I’m a happy customer!

Good to hear, thanks. :)

Per the RAM cache, believe it or not the RAM cache in LaunchBox doesn't have anything to do with Big Box. It's LaunchBox-only (should probably make that clear in the dialog because that's a common misconception).

• Like 1

Unable to return a TimeSpan property value for a Duration value of 'Automatic'. Check the HasTimeSpan property before requesting the TimeSpan property value from a Duration.

App:     Big Box
Version: 8.1-beta-1
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    System.TimeSpan get_TimeSpan()
Source:  PresentationCore

at System.Windows.Duration.get_TimeSpan()
   at Ao.Bigbox.Controls.MediaTrack.SetupStoryboard()
   at Ao.Bigbox.Controls.MediaTrack.OnMediaOpened(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Controls.AVElementHelper.OnMediaOpened(Object sender, EventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Media.UniqueEventHelper.InvokeEvents(Object sender, EventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Media.UniqueEventHelper.InvokeEvents(Object sender, EventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaEventsHelper.OnMediaPrerolled(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

10:03:01 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   10:03:03 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   10:03:03 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   10:03:03 PM Music.Pause Start
   10:03:05 PM Music.Resume Start
   10:03:07 PM Music.Pause Start
   10:03:52 PM Music.Resume Start
   10:03:52 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   10:03:53 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   10:03:54 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   10:03:54 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start