LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch neo geo cd

orphen92

Hello boys,

I want to launch my neo geo cd with retroarch but when i launch it i have this error:

[libretro INFO] Starting game from command line:Z:\Roms\SNK Neo Geo CD\sonicwi2.zip
[libretro INFO] ARGUV[0]=Z:\Roms\SNK
[libretro WARN] Driver Z:\Roms\SNK not found -1
[libretro WARN] Game not found: sonicwi2
[libretro INFO] RES:-2

In my rom folder i have:

-aero fighters 2 (1994)(snk)(jp-us)[!][sonic wings 2].chd

-sonicwi2.zip

-neocd.zip

-neocdz.zip

-neogeo.zip

I have check my neocd Hash files and all is good.

Can you help me please?

Thanks you very much

I don't normally do Neo Geo CD emulation at all but I do have it set up for a couple of games using the stand alone version of Mame which is much easier to setup.

I haven't tried running non arcade stuff through Retroarch Mame in a while because of how stupid it was to setup but I will give it a try again later on today.

In the meantime you can try putting the necessary bios files for it in

\Retroarch\system\mame\roms

That is where Retroarch Mame looks for them, or at least the last time I looked into this stuff it did, maybe they changed it.

Also make  sure you have all your software lists xml files located in

\Retroarch\system\mame\hash

Yeah, i'm just gonna tell you right now use the the stand alone version of Mame to do this it is so much easier to setup. I had a go at this and I immediately remember why using Retroarch Mame for non arcade is a major pain in the ass to even get it working. Everything has to go in a very specific folder structure within your Retroarch\mame\ folder, you cannot even have your roms located where you want them, they have to go in a very specific sub folder of your \Retroarch\Mame\ folder.

All you need to do in the stand alone Mame is make sure your rom path is set to where your games and bios are located and run it with the command line

neocdz -cdrm

That is all.

I did setup Retroarch Mame to run non arcade stuff in the past just to see if I could do it and I did get it working but it is such a chore and you have no flexibility at all when it comes to your game storage location that it makes it extremely unpractical to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I have been working on this issue for awhile and have figured it all out. I am using retroarch mame to load systems that retroarch doesn't have stand alone cores for. When I get back at my computer I'll post the three different ways I have solved this problem.

figured out how to copy the post

I'm going to post this answer in a few different areas on the forum.

I have been trying to figure out how to launch retroarch mame for the systems that don't have a stand alone core. I have finally found a mostly elegant solution

1) Add a New Emulator - I have named mine RetroArch MAME console cores
Add your retroarch.exe
Make sure to check "Don't use quotes..."

01.thumb.jpg.b91feb374b887b1df2cdc6d8f390c7f8.jpg2) Tab over to the Associated Platforms
Here's the magic sauce

example 1    "neocdz -cdrm \"%romfile%\""
example 2    "a5200 -rp \"F:\Roms\Atari 5200\" -cart \"%romfile%\""
example 3    "coleco -rp F:\Roms\ColecoVision\ -cart \"%romfile%\""

02.thumb.jpg.1299958207f54d061122c0620a28fb70.jpg

The reason for the "Don't use quotes" and adding this as a new emulator is because of the special thing we have to do to the command line
using mostly the same arguments has standalone mame/mess you have to have all the arguments in double quotes " but because of how Windows handles long file names with spaces the locations have to be in quotes to. This throws retroarch/the windows commandline off. This is where the \ before the double quote at the beginning and the \ before the closing double quote per directory/location. Also we can use the launchbox variable %romfile% to help make this work.

3) On top of all that you also have to specify the rompath if the mame core hasn't generated an ini with the rompath. This is needed for the bios of the core you are loading. If all your mame console bios files are in the same dir you could just use that for each entry

04.thumb.jpg.ae1abefa83d870831a9caf6f23dab6b6.jpg
The core will generate ini files for each system after first run.

05.thumb.jpg.5af3fd10a374548df5ce569f80afabde.jpg

4) I also edited my retroarch core options file. I probably enable boot to bios but I don't at the moment.

03.thumb.jpg.2ef85689a522233643a9626cd8bf95de.jpgThere is my setup for launching roms through retroarch mame.
I hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...