LaunchBox Community Forums

Looking for a remote/controller for Save/Load States inside Emulator

avaris

Was thinking since i usually play my games on my sofa, and all my save/load state hotkeys are bound to F1 --> F8 on my keyboard & which i often use. So i was thinking a solution could be to get a remote of some sort with 4/8 buttons for save/load state and perhaps just a simple "d-pad" for navigation in bigbox. I could use a program such as Antimicro to get the buttons to function as F1/F2/F3 etcetera the only requirement of the remote is for it to be x-input or whatever the input is called when it appears in windows gamepad menu.

Now obviously i doubt there exist a remote / small game controller on this planet made for this purpose or close. But all I'm looking for is a potentially cheap ebay/amazon remote that could work, or anything else. I've looked all around but honestly there is just no more search words in the universe that will get me further away from the generic 50 buttons tv remote with a keyboard on the backside.

Long shot but i just thought I'd ask in case someone has any clues that might help me.

Ty ^_^

What I do is use controller companion, which allows you to set keyboard buttons to controller buttons. It allows you to map any profile to a specific program so all my emulators have save state and load state on back and shoulder buttons. This can of course be set to the appropriate keyboard key, so always the same combo on the controller but actually sending different commands depending on the emulator in use.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367670/Controller_Companion/

On 2018-03-18 at 6:29 PM, neil9000 said:

What I do is use controller companion, which allows you to set keyboard buttons to controller buttons. It allows you to map any profile to a specific program so all my emulators have save state and load state on back and shoulder buttons. This can of course be set to the appropriate keyboard key, so always the same combo on the controller but actually sending different commands depending on the emulator in use.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367670/Controller_Companion/

Not really what i'm looking for, since in most cases i use all my buttons on my controllers and im also afraid of missclicks when using button combos to open menu / save or load states. but ty

1 minute ago, avaris said:

Not really what i'm looking for, since in most cases i use all my buttons on my controllers and im also afraid of missclicks when using button combos to open menu / save or load states. but ty

OK sure, but just to say I don't miss click as you have to have a hold button, so they don't work unless you are holding your designated hold button, but its fine we all use our own methods. :) 

I cant help with AHK unfortunately,  but that's why I use the app suggested.. :) 

The RL pause menu allows you to load and save states once you fill the table up with what the key presses should be. But you'd still have to have a mapper run (I use joy2key) that would do the direction keys and enter key so you could select the entry with a controller. But I also have my wireless keyboard on the end table and just hit enter real quick to select them

Edited by damageinc86

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

OK sure, but just to say I don't miss click as you have to have a hold button, so they don't work unless you are holding your designated hold button, but its fine we all use our own methods. :) 

I cant help with AHK unfortunately,  but that's why I use the app suggested.. :) 

thanks anyways :)

4 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

The RL pause menu allows you to load and save states once you fill the table up with what the key presses should be. But you'd still have to have a mapper run (I use joy2key) that would do the direction keys and enter key so you could select the entry with a controller. But I also have my wireless keyboard on the end table and just hit enter real quick to select them

Cannot unfortunately fit a table in the room, otherwise i would've used your method with wireless keyboard probably. But anyhow i prefer using the actual emulators save/load states since i have them all setup the exact same. 

All i'm really looking for is a suitable controller/remote with few buttons. ^_^

Sadly there is an option that fits what you are looking for size wise, but does not fit exactly what you are looking for cost wise. On my daughter's mini arcade in her room we use a Nintendo Switch joycon for similar functions. She broke a joycon on her switch and had to replace them so we had one to spare.  

On 3/20/2018 at 2:12 AM, damageinc86 said:

Ohh I wonder if you could get a USB adapter for the one or two button old Atari controllers and use that just for that purpose.

One of these could honestly fit very well, my first thought was actually using a buzz controller for the Playstation game, but ended up thinking the 5 buttons weren't enough. (these ones)

One thing is that i actually prefer (not the most important thing) if it doesn't have a joystick at all and there aren't enough buttons i believe. Otherwise i'd definitely consider it.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:01 AM, dbinott said:

I was looking through a lot of these but i prefer if the remote/controller uses fewer buttons, bit too messy with so many buttons i think. I only really wanna use it for the savestates / opening menu in retroarch. 

On 3/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, neil9000 said:

What I do is use controller companion, which allows you to set keyboard buttons to controller buttons. It allows you to map any profile to a specific program so all my emulators have save state and load state on back and shoulder buttons.

I do the same thing and works great. Hotkey is set to hold right stick in then L1/R1 to select slot, L2 save, R2 load, or home button to exit. A bit tedious to set up a profile for each emulator but once you're done it works like a charm.