LaunchBox Community Forums

Deleted valid game from database? Homebrew

Undertherainbow

It took me time to find all info ,create logos, box and 3d box. Just to get game deleted from database and i wasnt even notified when it happened?

Short info:

Duke Nukem 3D - eDuke Edition

Homebrew

EDuke32 is an awesome, free homebrew game engine and source port of the classic PC first person shooter Duke Nukem 3D— Duke3D for short—to Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, several handhelds, your family toaster, and to your girlfriend's vibrator. We've added thousands of cool and useful features and upgrades for regular players and additional editing capabilities and scripting extensions for homebrew developers and mod creators. EDuke32 is open source software that is completely free to use for all non-commercial purposes.

Created by Duke4.net community leader Richard "TerminX" Gobeille and a team of elite ninja programmers including Pierre-Loup "Plagman" Griffais, Philipp "Helixhorned" Kutin, and Evan "Hendricks266" Ramos (based on work by Todd Replogle/Ken Silverman/Jonathon Fowler/Matt Saettler), EDuke32 is the undeniable king of Duke Nukem 3D ports.

EDuke32 is licensed under the GNU GPL and the BUILD license.

Why would someone propose to delete perfectly valid game which is listed properly as homebrew and is under gnu licence. I should at least be notified since i created game info?

http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Main_Page

Edited by Undertherainbow

1 minute ago, Undertherainbow said:

Well moderator who has access to database can help?

There must have been log or note why database entry is deleted ?

I'm not sure if there is to be honest, and moderators here on the forums are not moderators on the database so we couldn't check even if that info is there.

@Undertherainbow I'm sorry for the wasted effort there. EDuke32 though, as awesome as it is, is still Duke Nukem 3D, of course, so I'm not sure that it qualifies as homebrew. It's more of a mod, though I guess it could be considered a port, since it's available for multiple OSs. Also the verbiage about vibrators is unfortunately inappropriate for the site.

Just now, Undertherainbow said:

Is it possible to at least make notification to user who created entry of his data deleted? And possible note for moderation sent via launchbox database?

Maybe for the future, yes, though I can see that being just as much of a drama causer as a solution.

@Jason Carr

P.S

If game doesnt classify as homebrew then new class is required. Game , mod, game mod, or engine entirely shouldnt matter, game exist. And is different then others.

It is a game by it self. So it should have right to be in database. In my opinion. Snes/sega hacks exist and have its entry.. and this doesnt.. :-/

• 2 weeks later...

eDuke32 isn't a game though, it's just an engine and it's useless on its own. You need to load game files into it (e.g. Duke Nukem 3D) to then be able to play that specific game.

So it's at most a program, at worst just an engine. Doesn't really belong in the database. Game hacks and homebrew are something different entirely.

6 hours ago, Enverex said:

eDuke32 isn't a game though, it's just an engine and it's useless on its own. You need to load game files into it (e.g. Duke Nukem 3D) to then be able to play that specific game.

So it's at most a program, at worst just an engine. Doesn't really belong in the database. Game hacks and homebrew are something different entirely.

Tell me by your logic,

does game gets its own excutable ?

does game runs by it self once activated?

Is it different then original game?

Definition of moded game:

The term mod is derived from the act of modifying a game. To mod a game is to create custom levels, objects, characters, or even unique or stand-alone game from an existing game engine. Many games come with an editor that allow for easier modding. A person who mods a game is called a modder.

hence, at wors game is a mod or a homebrew

It has every right to be part of database , simply because it Exist

P,S

Let me emphases the fact u just said: Game has its own engine !

None of what you said is relevant. Homebrew or romhacks are standalone, they work the same way a normal game would. Your definition of a modded game still doesn't fit eDuke32 because it's useless without the actual files from the other games, it's *just* an engine.

It has every right to be part of database , simply because it Exist

Well no, because it's not a game.

Let me emphases the fact u just said: Game has its own engine !

No, I said it *is* an engine.