LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch (Neogeo & capcon) will not load

j0ker007

I hope this make sense

I am currently on (2)two windows 10 64-bit computers right now.    Both computers are  running launchbox 8.2.   The second system "Intel Skull" I am currently rebuilding everything but im running into issues with retroarch 1.7.1 final burn cores for neogeo and capcon CPS roms.  Also the "Intel Skull" running retroarch 1.3.0 as a test emulatior.   Both Retroarchs 1.7.1 & 1.3.0 both can run Neogeo games but not in launchbox.  I have been doing this everynight for the past week to make this work but i cant figure it out.  I have tried

Tried these methods -

-add folder or add files 

-using platform (SNK Neo Geo MVS & SNK Neo Geo AES)

-manual typing in (Neogeo, neogeo, SNK Neogeo) & using either arcade or the above platforms as scrapers

-using one emulator (retroarch 1.7.1) or using adding another Retroarch with only  "neogeo" as an associated platforms

-retroarch emulator path either in the "Launchbox emulators" folder or not in the launchbox folder sturcture at all.

-within the emulator either keeping the Default Command-Line Parameters or none at all

-Associated platforms cores, I have tried so many.  None will work with launchbox but when I load retroarch these cores work

• Arcade (FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo)

• Arcade (FB Alpha 2012)

• Arcade (FB Alpha)

-Would you like to move or copy the files?  I have tired copy, move and also use the files in their current location.  At first I had launchbox move the neogeo roms into the launchbox game directory but ofcourse that didn’t work.  Also tried using a different location for the roms outside launchbox.

- The BIOS files are in the same folder as the neogeo roms (neogeo.zip 1,480 KB & qsound.zip 3 KB)

- ROM files are still zipped.

- In launchbox if I changed the system name I also changed the associated platform name also with the same characters and case-sensive. .

Now even to make it more confusing that on the 1st computer I have launchbox 8.2 (which I think was a software upgrade but not a fresh install) and using emulator retroarch 1.3.0 with

neogeo -L "cores\fb_alpha_neo_libretro.dll" True

Also within retroarch 1.3.0 its using the FBA Cores Neo v.2.97.30

And it works thru launch box .

I have also tried to reinstall in a different location launchbox 8.2 and configure retroarch 1.3.0 with that same core and ofcourse loading roms thru launchbox does not work on Intel skull.  

I can provide images for the setting on the Intel Skull computer and i would like to also focus on that Intel Skull than the 1st computer.  im lost and i would really like to compete this issue.  

I am in no rush since i have been working on this project for 1+ years so

Ok you have a lot going on here in this post so let's take a step back and simplify a bit.

I assume you want to use Retroarch 1.7.1 and your NeoGeo games are working using RA on it's own ?

If you could provide a couple of screenshots like these 2 showing the same information that would help us troubleshoot the problem.5ade3379054d9_2018-04-2315_25_24-EditEmulator.thumb.png.0cdad1a311e3f4341295cb7d38ce0195.png5ade337ca57f5_2018-04-2315_25_42-EditEmulator.thumb.png.3d2169ead0458896a3f72d5e9f2b9ba4.pngI want to make sure your platform is named exactly the same as it is in your Edit Emulator > Associated Platforms and the Emulator Details tab.

I assume you want to use Retroarch 1.7.1 and your NeoGeo games are working using RA on it's own ?  Yes

very silly question.   I do have the BIOS in the same folder as the roms but Im seeing FAQs to also to have them in the Retroarch system folder.  I have placed them in there and the games dont load and i have also remove the files from that folder and they wouldnt load.

issues01.PNG

issues02.PNG

For regular consoles bios go in the RA\system folder but for arcade stuff like NeoGeo they go in the folder with the games themselves.

I see the problem, at the end of the command line you have the incorrect quotation mark. We saw this issue a couple of days ago. Compare it to the quoteation marks in the command lines above it and you will see they are different, change that and make sure your bios are placed back into the same folder with your games and hopefully you will be good to go.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

For regular consoles bios go in the RA\system folder but for arcade stuff like NeoGeo they go in the folder with the games themselves.

I see the problem, at the end of the command line you have the incorrect quotation mark. We saw this issue a couple of days ago. Compare it to the quoteation marks in the command lines above it and you will see they are different, change that and make sure your bios are placed back into the same folder with your games and hopefully you will be good to go.

Are people copying and pasting this from somewhere? If we can find the original post and edit it, hopefully it will stop this error from happening again.

Edited by Belgarath
  • Like 1

I have no idea where people are getting that quotation mark from but Jason is implementing a new feature that should eliminate the problem.

He is going to make the Associated Platform command line parameters a drop down menu with all the core options so that should remove the need to copy/paste or type in the commands manually.

• Like 1

so does the drop down mean that if there is a new core we won't be able to manually type it and it won't be in the drop down or will it either still allow manual entries or somehow use the path you have setup for RA and look in the core folder there and use only cores you have downloaded as choices?

On 2018-04-23 at 9:57 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Is there a list of what bios should be in RA/system folder and what bios should be in the folder with games?

Also how bios should be named correct, a list like that would be nice

Like ATARI ST can be tricky, it have to be in the RA main folder with RA.EXE is and bios have to rename tos_206.img to tos.img

Edited by Zeaede

There's no direct list but you can check the docs page and each core for details on what it's looking for in terms of naming and location.

https://docs.libretro.com/

Generally speaking arcade systems want the bios in the folder with the roms, consoles want the bios in the \system folder, there are some systems though that have other oddball setups.

• Like 1