LaunchBox Community Forums

Separating arcade (MAME) into boards

Retrofrogg

I am thinking of splitting up my MAME (arcade) ROMS in LB, and was wondering what other people are doing here. Do you split this set into arcade boards, or just leave it as one big MAME set?

Previously I had used a big MAME set as well as a few collections (playlists) like "Capcom Classics, Konami Classics, Irem Classics" etc. 

I am working on a new setup and have seen a few other builds where the arcade section is split into different arcade boards. I was going to do this also, though the more work I am putting into it, the more arcade boards I am coming across. I now realise that there is a very large number of arcade boards (100+) and am wondering if I should split them at all. I'd rather take an all-or-nothing approach rather than pick out a few arcade boards and leave out others. 

How to split it up is a tough one.

You could split it up into board and that would work for some stuff there is still a lot of stuff that are 1 offs or only have a couple of games. You could split it by company which would cover a lot more stuff than boards but you would still have some "platforms" that only have 1 or a small selection of games.

It really is a tough one depending on how far you want to take it. My preferred method is to just have them all in the main "Arcade" platform and then tag favourites so they are all at the top of the list. Though I do have the Capcom CPS and NeoGeo games separated out.

If you haven't already imported your mame set there is a checkbox in the wizard that is checked as default to create them. If you have already imported and just have the arcade platform you can use the tools/create missing playlists option.

18 hours ago, Zeaede said:

I found this Lightspeed Mame Lister, is that the tool to use?

The turtorials i have seen is 2 years old and their versions is completely different than the latest lightspeed

Not sure which version you are considering but I would read this thread and recommend not using Lightspeed with Launchbox.

4 hours ago, Zeaede said:

Where i found it, many seems pleased with using it no?

I am not sure where you found it so I cannot say. I do not know if they used it in conjunction with Launchbox. But the members on this site that used it with Launchbox had major issues. So I still recommend reading that thread linked and simply say if you are going to use it to help import roms into Launchbox....use it at your own risk. 

Yeah, you should be able to do it with Lightspeed, but it doesn't work with new versions of LB if I recall correctly.  I have my data files from an older version that I set up with lightspeed and it still works fine.  The amount of info, etc that you could import with lightspeed was way beyond what LB can do for MAME.

If i import my MAME folder and add Rocket Launcher as emulator

It's easy to seperate all 14 classics systems combinated with hyperspin

Just add folders and it's done

With latest LB all i can do is to add main folder?

Edited by Zeaede