LaunchBox Community Forums

Sound issue in Namco games in MAME....

Lukeyboy67

Ridge racer 1 & 2, Cyber commando, Ace Driver, Alpine racer 2, Cyber cycles. These are just the ones I tested and every one is the same. The sound is messed up and gameplay seems slow. All my other roms play fine, no probs.

I re-downloaded a few of the roms and tried latest MAME build, same issue. Weird how it's only Namco games.

Really want to play these so any help would be great. Cheers :)

My system can play Far Cry 5 at ultra settings so I doubt that's the problem. A friend filled my HDD with Mame roms and he has the exact same problem. I emailed him and he said this....

"I have noticed that in the mame gui the ridge racer rom says this game does not have a bios. Right im 100% sure i know what the problem its.....but 0% sure how to solve it..... the problem is that it defo isnt using the namcoc74.zip (bios) so its running on normal settings i think which arent good"

Does this info help? I'm baffled!

Thanks for your input :)

Just because you can play a modern PC game perfectly does not mean you can run a specific emulated game 100%. They are 2 completely different animals, I can run GTA V and the Witcher 3 at 1440p at 60+ fps but my CPU just isnt't fast enough to play Ridge Racer in Mame. Emulation is very CPU dependent and depending on your CPU you may run into problems.

If you are having problems with some specific games in Mame then maybe you can check the Mame forums. As far as I am aware those Namco games are bleeding edge cases for Mame and require a pretty beefy CPU to run it. We have no idea what sort of CPU you have since you never told us.

• Like 1

OK, Got ya. It's a AMD FX-8370 8 Core OC@ 4.3 Crazy how old games need so much power!

Thing is I've seen vids of the problem games running OK in Mame on YouTube from a few years back so was convinced it was a bad rom or something.

Anyway, thanks for yer help. I'll check out the mame forums. :)

I have an AMD 8350 @ 4GHz and when I tested Ridge Racer it was slow. AMD CPUs aren't the best for emulation, they get the job done for most things but when it comes to the more demanding stuff they lag behind Intels even if the AMD is clocked higher. Raw clock speed matters in emulation but so does instructions per cycle single thread performance and that is where Intels kick AMDs ass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I had this problem and this is what worked for me, because the autoskip feature in the MameUI program was no working for me, if you are using mameUI, go to the MameUi folder and go to the INI Folder, there should be a list of .ini files for every game youve played so far on mame, minimize that window and bring up launchbox and start the game thats giving you issues, once the game loads type f11 then hit f9, keep pressing f9 untill you see the game is running at 100% there should be a number in the corner that will increase untill it hits 100% keep a mental note of the number of time you hit f9. Now bring up your MameUI INI folder again go into the game and scroll down the .ini file untill you see a line that says frameskip, enter the number for the times you hit f9 previously, save the file. That should fix it, the only problem is you will have to repeat this process whenevr you encounter the issue again with a different game.

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that this is not a true fix.

While it does make the game run at 100% speed and make the sound good the game is skipping frames which is not exactly something that is desirable. If you can get away with 1 or 2 frames skipped it can be fine but more than that IMHO is just a bad experience.

yeah some game work for me and some like SNK and Namco run slow...yeah its not a true fix i guess but if you really gotta play lol i had everything running great with an i7 but i got a new pc and it only had a ryzen 5 and all my games that were plkying great were not tioll i found this quick fix...just thought id chip in

Yeah it can make a game more playable and it depends on the game how much of an effect this has on actual gameplay, I just wanted to be clear to anyone coming across this thread and reading it that it is not a proper fix instead of thinking it is an actual fix.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 11:07 PM, Lukeyboy67 said:

Sussed it! in the game press F11 then keep pressing F9 until it shows 'Auto' the games run great now with no sound issues :)

G'day, Well I don't have any problem running the game or the sound. Its just that the sound is very quiet for the Namco 22's. Is there an easy fix ?

17 minutes ago, meecob said:

G'day, Well I don't have any problem running the game or the sound. Its just that the sound is very quiet for the Namco 22's. Is there an easy fix ?

Have you tried adjusting the volume in the emulator. If you are using Mame it has its own volume settings you can adjust. I think by default the keys are the + and - keys. 

4 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Have you tried adjusting the volume in the emulator. If you are using Mame it has its own volume settings you can adjust. I think by default the keys are the + and - keys. 

It was the first thing I tried. I've never been able to get the volume controls to work in MAME. I've even redefined them to other keys and still not luck. P.s Thanks for the reply

27 minutes ago, meecob said:

It was the first thing I tried. I've never been able to get the volume controls to work in MAME. I've even redefined them to other keys and still not luck. P.s Thanks for the reply

You can boost audio channel levels from 1.0 to 2.0 in mame and some systems have volume adjustments in their service menu as well.