LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox not that portable after all?

Sammy

Hi,

Installed LaunchBox on a local drive, ran fine, copied the LaunchBox folder to a networked drive location (I have lots of PCs spread around the house). Ran it, using the same PC(So dependencies are fine) but from a remote folder instead and got the following error...

An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.3
Type:    System.NotSupportedException
Site:    System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly nLoadFile(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at (Object , ResolveEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.CurrentDomainAssemblyResolve(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs args)
   at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)

Recent Log:

16:41:17 Exception

Seems to have a problem with the .Net loadFromRemoteSources compile switch?

• 2 months later...

I found a solution to this problem. 

.NET framework does not allow assemblies to be loaded from a network location.

You can modify this behaviour by doing the following:

Edit Launchbox.exe.config

place the following line below <runtime>

<loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true"/>

You can also do this for bigbox.exe.config

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have come here to specifically reply to this, as a thanks, for helping me resolve my issue. For some reason, (Windows 10 update?) LaunchBox would crash during the "initializing" phase of booting up (after clicking the .exe). I enabled logs, checked them and confirmed what was written above. I used the above fix and it worked. Thanks @arsim2222.

Cheers

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 10:17 AM, tritanium1 said:

This workaround was broken by the latest update and move to .NET core libraries.  Anyone know of a new workaround?

Create a Symbolic Link to the network share, from a local directory. I have mine under my user directory as though it was installed locally, though it doesn't really seem to matter.

When you access it through the Symbolic Link, it appears as good as if it were installed locally.

Theres probably some issue with pathing or something that gets resolved when the path is "local"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 3:08 PM, cleverest said:

Just had the same issue with my Synology NAS mapped folder...thanks for posting this, but I really wish this could be fixed without using Symbolic links.

For me to get this to work without symbolic links, I added the NAS to my trusted sites. So:

Windows key>Internet Options>Security>Local Intranet>Sites>Advanced>Add this website to the zone>"your nas">Add

in my case I added "\\QNAP", it automatically changed to a file://qnap, but worked immediately.

Edited by matris
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that it is maybe outside of the intended use case, but it's for me the only way to manage/control my 22TB Launchbox installation. Besides the problems I had that were mentioned above it is running perfectly fine now. Especially since I have added SSD caching to my NAS and upgraded to a 10Gbit network backbone.

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2018 at 1:11 PM, arsim2222 said:

I found a solution to this problem. 

.NET framework does not allow assemblies to be loaded from a network location.

You can modify this behaviour by doing the following:

Edit Launchbox.exe.config

place the following line below <runtime>

You can also do this for bigbox.exe.config

Has Launchbox.exe.config been renamed to somthing else? i can't find this file in the LB directory 

17 minutes ago, gareth_iowc said:

I was looking to add the following to the config file - 

I need to run my launchbox from a network share :)

I dont believe there is any such command. As i said Launchbox does not have a config file, it does have a settings file in Launchbox>Data, but again that command wont do anything as we do not distinguish between local or network storage. We also actively avise against running Launchbox itself from a Network, performance will be terrible as Launchbox loads a ton of data and images, that will be really slow over a network as networks are slow.

Technically it's not on the network. To get the most out of my PC I use unraid as the host OS and 2 windows virtual machines that output to a gfx card each. The VMs are only 300GB each and the main array is 4TB of combined SSD.
The VMs have a virtual 10GB nic and can read and write at full SSD Speed.
Launchbox just gets stuck at loading when it's on the network share

The file you're referencing is a .NET Framework file which what LaunchBox is built with anymore. You can attempt to add the line to LaunchBox.runtimeconfig.json found in \\LaunchBox\Core\ but I honestly have no idea if it will do what you want it to do as I've never needed that flag to be set for any application I've used or developed for.

• Like 1

So I did look at using s symlink but the transfer speeds are garbage.

I turned to windows Virtual Hard Disk - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/manage-virtual-hard-disks

As I test i've created the disk image on another computer on my network and the image and videos load as if it was on the same machine