LaunchBox Community Forums

the purists dont like Mame guys

2ball

1 hour ago, 2ball said:

I inquired about an 80's era Galaga cabinet.  The guy wouldn't sell it to me if I was going to retrofit it for MAME.

said he would only sell it to someone who was going to rehab it and get it working again.

Honestly if I was the one selling it I wouldn't have sold it to someone wanting to gut it for a mame cabinet either and it has nothing to do with being a "purist".

Galaga is one of the most successful video games of the arcade era and as such those machines have seen much more use and abuse over less popular games, same thing for games like Pac-man, etc. There's going to come a point where the machines start dying off (become unrepairable) in mass amounts so it becomes a matter of trying to preserve as many of them as possible for as long as possible. 

Really there's so many options for buying/building a MAME cabinet that converting an old arcade cabinet should really only be done if there's nothing of the original game board or artwork that can be restored.

Meh...You cannot blanket a statement like that on everyone who would consider him/herself a purist so to speak. I know plenty of self proclaimed purists that own numerous old arcade cabs and love emulation as it extends the life of the game itself and welcomes it to people who cannot experience an original cabinet.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I did.

yeah but that was like ordering really expensive cheese fries and thinking you're going to be getting some really good nacho cheese with them and instead you get an old can of cheese whiz. lol (not a clue, blame it on  either not enough coffee or extreme boredom.)

So have you seen/heard about those new Arcade1Up cabinets and what do you think of them?

Edited by voicesinthedark

In a way I agree with the guy who wouldn't sell it to you as at the end of the day that machine has a big history and a purist as you put it, there are other methods to build a mame machine and have the artwork printed the same as what ever you want I know it may not feel the same but in my opinion is good enough without altering old machines just my opinion 

I get the guys (sellers) point here. It's like buying a classic car in order to cut a massive hole in the bonnet and stick in a huge engine. 

That cabinet is a little piece of history. It holds the hopes (and coins) of a generation. I hope it finds a good home and gets restored. 

Why not buy some plywood and knock something up (if space/health/ability allows). If not you can buy flat pack cabinets I believe. 

Good luck in your search :)

10 hours ago, 2ball said:

I inquired about an 80's era Galaga cabinet.  The guy wouldn't sell it to me if I was going to retrofit it for MAME.

said he would only sell it to someone who was going to rehab it and get it working again.

Well duh, it's your own fault for being dumb, and telling him the truth in the first place. This is why you should have lied straight to the guy's face, promised him that you weren't going to use it for a MAME cab, and then once you had it, you took it home, and made it into a MAME cab. He would never find out, and even if he did, there's not a damn thing he could do about it as 1, it's not illegal to lie to someone, and 2, once you gave him the money, it's legally yours to do whatever you want with, even if it's against his wishes, and goes against the philosophy of preservation. As long as you yourself are happy, then who cares?