LaunchBox Community Forums

Light gun games

InfinityFox

Before I tackle adding American Laser Games as a platform and the MAME Light gun games, I wondered if I needed to pick up a light gun to play these games properly or is there support for other control devices

I understand that I’ll need Daphne singe for ALG  and MAME64 for my mame set. From past experience MAME recognises controllers and you just need to make small changes to map the insert coin button etc. Do I have to configure the light gun games within mame or will they work out of the box. I also wondered what works best with Daphne singe?

I like to hear your experiences with the two platforms...

On 9/30/2018 at 9:37 PM, InfinityFox said:

Before I tackle adding American Laser Games as a platform and the MAME Light gun games, I wondered if I needed to pick up a light gun to play these games properly or is there support for other control devices

I understand that I’ll need Daphne singe for ALG  and MAME64 for my mame set. From past experience MAME recognises controllers and you just need to make small changes to map the insert coin button etc. Do I have to configure the light gun games within mame or will they work out of the box. I also wondered what works best with Daphne singe?

I like to hear your experiences with the two platforms...

Hi matey

You can use a mouse to control the game if you want. I personally use an AimTrak light gun. They're very good once they're set up correctly.

I recently got American Laser Games working and wrote some info down here American Laser Games that you might find useful?

To set up my guns I just used the calibration software that came with them and then told MAME that I was using guns as the controllers.

To make it simple (for myself as I'm not 100% with all this yet) I just created a new copy of MAME and called the folder MAME_GUN_GAMES.

I then added that as an Emulator in LB and I pointed all my Lightgun games at that Emulator. Then, within the MAME Gun Games exe I just told it that up/down movement was going to be Gun Y axis and left/right was going to be Gun X axis, then set the fire buttons up and off it went.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Johnny T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great, thanks for the reply!

How did you single out the light gun games from that huge list of mame games? Did you by chance import the games through LB and select playlists and then just copy the relevant roms from the main folder? How did you make sure you got all the relevant files?

I only ask because I’ve never really had much luck finding any information about extracting games from a mame set, I’ve just seen a few scripts floating around that extract certain systems.

It would be interesting to know how one finds out which games are from which system and how to produce the scripts

Anyway, awesome work on the American laser games, I’ll enjoy setting that up!

Hi matey

I just used the in-built MAME importer in Launchbox. As you go through the options there's a page that asks you what games you want to exclude (such as Mahjong games etc) and also whether you want LB to automatically create those Playlists (Lightgun games / 2 Player games / Bat and Ball games etc).

I then just went into the newly create Lightgun games folder and "selected all" then right-click and Edit and edited the Emulator to be MAME_GUN_GAMES.

Cheers

:)

I’ve already imported my mame roms and have those playlists visible, so if I understand you correctly all I need to do is add the mame emulator again and then do the edit.

And point to the new emulator folder? If memory serves I’ll need to tell it my rom path as well because all the roms are in my mame emulator/roms folder.

Wow! Light guns are pretty pricey ? Ah well if you want the real experience you’ve gotta pay the price.

BTW how difficult was it to configure the gun for the American Laser Games?

Edited by InfinityFox

42 minutes ago, InfinityFox said:

I’ve already imported my mame roms and have those playlists visible, so if I understand you correctly all I need to do is add the mame emulator again and then do the edit.

And point to the new emulator folder? If memory serves I’ll need to tell it my rom path as well because all the roms are in my mame emulator/roms folder.

Wow! Light guns are pretty pricey ? Ah well if you want the real experience you’ve gotta pay the price.

BTW how difficult was it to configure the gun for the American Laser Games?

Yep, the guns aren't cheap. I was surprised just how much they were too!!

It was easy to configure. The guns act exactly the same as a mouse so, if you can use your mouse in American Laser Games then you can use one of the AImTrak guns.

I got the ones with the recoil as well. They are quite good but I found (initially) that if you shot multiple times the slider inside would 'stick' and then it just became a normal gun without recoil. I sorted it by opening them and putting in slightly stronger springs.

Cheers :)

LightGun games xml

It's a year old but the game list is still pretty accurate. The link is to a playlist xml. So if you do not have roms separated out this is the easiest way to have a lightgun playlist. Otherwise you would have to seperate out the roms and create a platform. 

This playlist one has a couple of useful links worth taking a look at for anyone setting up Lightguns.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2019 at 6:39 PM, latin625 said:

anyone run into issues trying to use them on Windows 10?  The crosshairs move to the corners and do not target.  Already calibrated them using AimTrak Utility.

Thanks!

The only time I had issues with the crosshairs was when the IR receiver didn't see the guns correctly? Have you got clear sight of the guns/IR bar and are you stood far enough away with no other bright lights (sunlight) in the way?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, latin625 said:

Ok, so I sorted out the calibration issue by tuning off one of my monitors and only displayed windows on the main display.  Did my  calibration, save it, made the file READ ONLY, then turned on the second monitor and BOOM!  Golden!

Nice one!! Great work Sherlock!! ?