LaunchBox Community Forums

Everything working except Arcade games

Columbo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,  I set up Mame0.201, copied 4 games into the rom folder and run them from the CMD window and 3 out of the 4 games run ok but they do not run in Launchbox.  In Launchbox I selected the same games, pressed edit and under emulator I selected Mame0.201 but it won't run the game.  Why not?  Got me puzzled!  :(  Starting to get frustrated.

Edited by Columbo

It looks like you are you using MameUI for arcade games, correct?

if so make sure your mame.ini file is located in the same folder the mame.exe is located. If you do not see it there look in the Ini folder. If it is there copy it and paste it in the main folder where the mame.exe is. 

I am using MameUI64 version 0.201 and the mame.ini is in the same folder as the mameui64.exe.  I also tried using Mame0.201 but got the same results.  The games run from within MameUI0.201 and from within Mame0.201 but will not run when using Launchbox or BigBox.  In Launchbox I double click on a game and the screen goes black for about 4 seconds and then a small box that says "Loading... " flashes quickly on the screen and then it returns to the menu again.  I don't understand why the games run ok in Mame but not in Launchbox or BigBox.  Because all of the other console games run fine in Launchbox, it made me think that it might be the Mame emulator but as I said, the games run ok in stand alone Mame.  I've been trying to get this working for 3 days now with no success.

Edited by Columbo

Thanks for the suggestion.

I unchecked those boxes but when I double click on a game the screen just blinks and nothing else.  If I select "Launch with Mame0.201" a small command window opens momentarily and the I get a black full screen for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to the menu.  This is really frustrating!

Edited by Columbo

4 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I unchecked those boxes but when I double click on a game the screen just blinks and nothing else.  If I select "Launch with Mame0.201" a small command window opens momentarily and the I get a black full screen for a couple of seconds and then it goes back to the menu.  This is really frustrating!

Are you testing the same game in the MAMEUI and in Launchbox? What game is it? If MAME works by itself then it works in Launchbox, unless you have a setting wrong or you havent copied the mame.ini from the ini folder to the root next to the .exe.

33 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Are you testing the same game in the MAMEUI and in Launchbox? What game is it? If MAME works by itself then it works in Launchbox, unless you have a setting wrong or you havent copied the mame.ini from the ini folder to the root next to the .exe.

Yes, it is the same game in both.  I was using Mame0.201.  I looked for a mame.ini in the root and in the ini folder and I can't see any.  I unzipped the Mame file again and looked in there and I still don't see a "mame.ini" file.  In the ini foler is another folder called "Presets" but no mame.ini file in there. I added the MameUI64 to my emulators and it has a MAMEUI.ini in the root.  So, I tried that and when I tried to run the game I got this:

mame.jpg

Edited by Columbo

IWhen I imported the games I did not move them to Launchbox but selected to run them from the folder where they already existed.  I just copied one game from that folder into the rom folder in MameUI64.  When I double click on the game in the Launchbox menu nothing happens.  The screen just blinks. Same thing if I click the "Play" button in the bottom left of the screen, but the If I right click on the game image in the menu and select Launch with MameUI64 the game runs.  Maybe if I copied all of my games into the MameUI64 \rom folder they might run by using the "Launch with MameUI64",  I don't know, but I should not have to do all that just to run a game and I would like to run them from the folder that they are currently in.

Edited by Columbo

6 minutes ago, Columbo said:

IWhen I imported the games I did not move them to Launchbox but selected to run them from the folder where they were.  I just copied one game from that folder into the rom folder in MameUI64.  When I doubles click on the game in the Launchbox menu nothing happens.  The screen just blinks. Same thing if I clcik the "Play" button in the bottom left of the screen, but the If I right click on the game image in the menu and select Launch with MameUI64 the game runs.  Maybe if I copied all of my games into the MameUI64 \rom folder they might run by using the "Launch with MameUI64",  I don't know, but I should not have to do all that just to run a game and I would like to run them from the folder that they are currently in.

Then that sounds like MAMEUI doesnt know where your roms are, which was one of the first things we suggested, so i would double check that it is looking in the correct folder for your roms. Secondly if the games are launching from the right click "Launch with" but not a double click then that means the wrong emulator is set as the default, so it sounds like you changed emulator at some point but didnt tell the roms. Click on a Arcade game, than CTRL A to highlight them all, right click one and go to edit. Click next in the wizard, then in the first dropdown choose emulator and in the second the MAME you want to use, finish out the wizard.

3 hours ago, Columbo said:

Here is what I think you are asking for.

Emulator Details.jpg

Associated Platform.jpg

AutoHotKey.jpg

That top image there you have it pointing to mame64.exe, that is not correct if you are using MAMEUI, it would be mameui64.exe. So it looks like you are confusing two different emulators, using MAMEUI outside of Launchbox,and the standard MAME while inside it.

5 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Ok, I did that and when I double click on a game, (I tried several), the screen goes black and then I get this....

error.jpg

Thats telling you it cant find the rom, did you point mame at your rom directory like we suggested? Also go to your rom folder in windows and put in the search box mspacman, does it find the rom? If you open it are those files there?

Is that version of Ms. Pacman the parent? I ask because you mention moving one game to a different folder with MAME unless you have a non merged set you shouldn't ever just add one game to a folder as it may have other files from the MAME set that it is dependent on.

In the case of Ms Pacman there is only 1 file and it runs if I move the file to the MameUI64\rom folder and use the Launch with MameUI64 . I get the box with the list of missing files when I try to run it from it's original location. In the case of 1942 there is 7 files and I moved them all into the MameUI64\rom folder.  It seems to run from the MameUI64/rom folder but again, only if I right click on the game and use the Launch with MameUI64

I really appreciate your patience with me on this problem.

Edited by Columbo