LaunchBox Community Forums

How Long To Beat - Game Length Plugin

How Long To Beat - Game Length Plugin

View File

About

Plugin that scrapes information from HowLongToBeat.com and adds custom fields with game lengths information.

I made this plugin to add length information for certain games, mostly rpgs. This adds 3 custom fields for Main Story, Main + Extra and Completionist length. You can configure which ones you want to add by editing the file HLTBPlugin.xml.

Because there's no oficial API from HLTB, I had to parse the HTML, which means that as soon as they change something on the HTML this plugin probably will stop working...

Install

Extract files (dll + xml) to : Launchbox/Plugins/HLTBPlugin.

Config (HLTBPlugin.xml)

• MainStoryLength: Enable/disable main story length update. Default: true.
  • MainExtraLength: Enable/disable main story + extra length update. Default: true.
  • CompletionistLength: Enable/disable completionist length update. Default: true.
  • MainStoryFieldName: Change main story length custom field name. Default: Main Story Length
  • MainExtraFieldName: Change main story + extra length custom field name. Default: Main + Extra Length
  • CompletionistFieldName: Change completionist length custom field name. Default: Completionist Length

Note: If you change the fields names it will not update the games that already have information, so you will end up with duplicated fields with different names and you will have to manually delete them (edit game -> custom fields tab). So config the first time and stick with that.

Usage

Access the option by right-click a game (only one game, no massive update yet). A window will popup with all the games found and you can choose which one correspond to your game. If there's no results you can manually change the search words (e.g. Metal Gear Ac!d will get no results but you can then change the search to Metal Gear Acid).

You can use the "Arrange By" option to order the games by length. Lengths are shown with leading zeroes because is the only way to properly order the games since custom fields are strings and not integers.

Tested on version 8.9. I think you need a premium license because custom fields are not supported in free license (not sure).

1.thumb.jpg.af7728582cdeb302ebbf4caad33defea.jpg2.thumb.jpg.eb1de3e8a8247fc22eefaa30f6f487de.jpg3.jpg.e0b5d1c12c72bcb131952b6d41877453.jpg4.thumb.jpg.ad5d22bab6344ddc943ce6e3b34eac89.jpg

I have no relation with HowLongToBeat.com, if you like their work please go and support them.

Public Repository

https://github.com/matiasponsml/HLTBPlugin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is way cool and almost seems like it can be something that should be included in LB by default! The only thing that is really need to make it useful is some kind of batch updating. It is really pointless only updating one game at a time when you have a collection of 1000s. Once you are able to update tons of games in one go this plugin would be probably the most useful plugin available!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is an awesome plugin, but it's inadvertently making me go on a tangent haha. So I must play games SUPER slowly or something. Like I'm putting more than "Completionist" time in every game, and I am far from a Completionist. Took me over 100 hours to beat the Witcher 3, for instance, and I skipped a bunch of quests. Says 50. But that's a free roam game, so of course time will vary. But even more linear games like Bioshock, I'm at least doubling the reported time on like every game I play. This is true for me replaying old truly retro games like Super Mario World and ps1 titles too. Took me twice the time to beat the Resident Evil remake. For My Time at Portia, I already have more than triple the hours in that game and I'm not even finished the main quest. What's wrong with me?  

No wonder I barely ever beat games anymore. ?

Edited by fromlostdays

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2019 at 7:52 PM, fromlostdays said:

This is an awesome plugin, but it's inadvertently making me go on a tangent haha. So I must play games SUPER slowly or something. Like I'm putting more than "Completionist" time in every game, and I am far from a Completionist. Took me over 100 hours to beat the Witcher 3, for instance, and I skipped a bunch of quests. Says 50. But that's a free roam game, so of course time will vary. But even more linear games like Bioshock, I'm at least doubling the reported time on like every game I play. This is true for me replaying old truly retro games like Super Mario World and ps1 titles too. Took me twice the time to beat the Resident Evil remake. For My Time at Portia, I already have more than triple the hours in that game and I'm not even finished the main quest. What's wrong with me?  

No wonder I barely ever beat games anymore. ?

your not alone, i usually add at least 50% to those numbers for me to beet it..... I love retro games, dont confuse this with me being any good at them lol.

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...