LaunchBox Community Forums

Center Logo Startup Theme

Retro808

Center Logo Startup Theme

View File

So took a stab at editing the default theme to tinker a little to learn and see what I can accomplish. It was pretty fun attempting and the trial and error kept my up late a couple nights. Here is what I came up with. Remember I am not a coder so if anyone peaks at the xml file and sees some fixes or a better way please let me know. I am all ears. 

Thanks @neil9000 for the inspiration as it was your 3D version I modified. Thanks to the other theme developers as it was your codes in your themes I looked over to see how things work. Thanks @Jason Carr for giving me something to tinker with on a daily basis. 

I claim no credit to any artwork displayed or included in the theme. Any images included were taken from Google and if you know the creator please mention so I may credit. 

IMPORTANT: Launchbox 9.2 Beta 1 or higher required for Startup Themes. 

Version 1.0

Startup theme moves the clear logo to the center with the "Now Loading..." offset to the left. 3D Box, Screenshot, and Cart or Spinning Disc (for CD based games) are in the main view. 

Shutdown theme uses a static image in its current default state with the words "Thank you for playing..." displayed. You can use any static image you want. Simply choose your image and place it in the Launchbox/StartupThemes/Center Logo/Background folder and name the file Default.jpg 

You can edit the shutdown text and color by editing the Default Shutdown.xml and looking for the following section:

<TextBlock Text="Thank You For Playing..." Foreground="Aqua" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center"
                    FontSize="80" FontStyle="Italic" FontWeight="Bold" Typography.Capitals="AllSmallCaps" />

If you prefer use the game specific background and games images in the shutdown simply open the Alternate XAML folder then copy the Game Specific.xml and paste it into the root folder renaming it Default Shutdown.xml. In the Alternate XAML folder is the Game Specific.xaml and the Static Image.xml to keep as backups. 

Installation: 

Download the Center Logo.zip and unzip it into the Launchbox/StartupThemes folder. In Launchbox go to Tools>Options>Game Startup and choose the appropriate named theme. 

If you need to add other disc based systems to the startup theme simply copy any cd based xml file in the theme's folder and paste into the same folder then rename the file exactly as your platform name appears in Launchbox. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm. Not sure what would be wrong. I have it working on a few set-ups. The different views for a platform do require your platform names match the names of the platform xml files in the themes folder. If the do not you can just change the xml file name to match. I used pretty standard naming for systems. Take a look at the xml platform names and compare how you have your platforms named. 

The alternate is only for disc based systems to show spinning discs. So anything else would use the default.

7 hours ago, ea4492 said:

This  theme looks great but for some reason, the theme doesnt load for me when i switch to it in Bigbox, it just loads the default startup theme? Great work, keep it up.

You dont switch to it in BigBox, you put it in the StartupThemes folder and switch to it in Launchbox.

@neil9000 Same here. Strange that BB was set to default but was using the Center Logo theme which I only set in LB. I was able to choose the other themes in BigBox though and it still worked.

Having fun trying to learn xml stuff so messing around with another theme. I just made overlays that get pulled per platform to show the system logo and the grid lines. I am sure there is a code that can do this, but like I said...I do not know this stuff so just going about it in an elementary and likely a longer way than is possible. But I am having fun trying.

Framed_Disc-01.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@neil9000 Same here. Strange that BB was set to default but was using the Center Logo theme which I only set in LB. I was able to choose the other themes in BigBox though and it still worked.

Having fun trying to learn xml stuff so messing around with another theme. I just made overlays that get pulled per platform to show the system logo and the grid lines. I am sure there is a code that can do this, but like I said...I do not know this stuff so just going about it in an elementary and likely a longer way that in possible. But I am having fun trying.

Framed_Disc-01.jpg

Looks awesome...if you figure out how to set a default background per system,tag me please...I can't figure it out myself...and I would love to make specific Startup screens for my Refried theme that use the current backgrounds the theme uses.

Edited by RetroHumanoid
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RetroHumanoid said:

Looks awesome...if you figure out how to set a default background per system,tag me please...I can't figure it out myself...and I would love to make specific Startup screens for my Refried theme that use the current backgrounds the theme uses.

I got it to work just by creating a Backgrounds Folder and changing this area of the code. I pretty much just copied it from the xml codes from you and Jason's BigBox Unified themes. Just FYI the startup theme name in the code below was just me making a test to see if it worked. I copied your background images into it the folders to test. Probably pretty basic, but hey it works :D

<Canvas Name="Canvas">
        <Image Source="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/StartupThemes/Refried/Background Startup/Nintendo GameCube.jpg" Stretch="UniformToFill" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality"
            Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}" />
        <Grid Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}">

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

I got it to work just by creating a Backgrounds Folder and changing this area of the code. I pretty much just copied it from the xml codes from you and Jason's BigBox Unified themes. Just FYI the startup theme name in the code below was just me making a test to see if it worked. I copied your background images into it the folders to test. Probably pretty basic, but hey it works :D

<Canvas Name="Canvas">
        <Image Source="{}pack://siteoforigin:,,,/StartupThemes/Refried/Background Startup/Nintendo GameCube.jpg" Stretch="UniformToFill" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality"
            Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}" />
        <Grid Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}">

Capture.JPG

Hmm...I did the same thing and it didn't work...I think I have an underlying issue in my setup that prevented it from showing up then...thanks for the info!

Big conflicts with RocketLauncher and Fade being enabled. Disabled Fade and now having issues with bezels being enabled. Bezel comes up blank with the emulator sound running in the background or I enable the "Hide All Windows" option and the bezel doesn't show up and everything runs fine but I need my bezels. I'll just go back to enabling fade in rocketlauncher till this is sorted out.

Edited by Boomerps2

@Boomerps2 Unfortunately per Jason Startup/Shutdown screens will not be compatible with Rocket Launcher for the time being. Turning them off for now if you are going to keep using RL is your best course. I do not think Jason mentioned anytime frame for possible compatibility "for the time being" so it does appear to be something he will eventually add. You can read his direct post on it in this beta thread. Look for his third post on this page. 

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

@Boomerps2 Unfortunately per Jason Startup/Shutdown screens will not be compatible with Rocket Launcher for the time being. Turning them off for now if you are going to keep using RL is your best course. I do not think Jason mentioned anytime frame for possible compatibility "for the time being" so it does appear to be something he will eventually add. You can read his direct post on it in this beta thread. Look for his third post on this page. 

Got it. I have a good amount of time involved with RocketLauncher being apart of my Launch Box builds. I'll just have to wait.

Brilliant work!

Quick item: As the game starts and transitions off your startup screen, the emulator is minimized.  Not entirely, but it's a smaller window than full screen, and it forces me to maximize.  Even when I maximize, playing the next game (or even the same one) will start minimized again.  This was observed with every system except Dreamcast, strangely enough.

Hope this helps, or if anyone has ideas.  Cheers!

@Example Is there a particular emulator this happens with? I do not think anyone in the beta threads mentioned anything like this. It should not be affected by the theme code as the code only displays the images. It is not the actual code to startup and shutdown the transition between the frontend and the emulator. 

Interesting @retro808.  I've reverted back to the Default theme, and I get the same behavior now.  Even eliminating all game startups altogether is still resulting in all the emus launching minimized.  Any idea how I can reset the config for this behavior so I can retest with all launching full-screen?

EDIT: I've toggled fullscreen in each emu to get back to a full-screen state, and thankfully Retroarch powers most!  All is well, and I've reinstated your launch.  Going well so far.  Perhaps it was due to monkeying with BigBox (another project).

Edited by Example