LaunchBox Community Forums

Merry Christmas ya'll

flatuswalrus

I don't give a poop if it isn't Christmas where you are yet but I am in Australia and it is 08:28am Christmas morning, so Merry Christmas all. I look forward to next year setting up LaunchBox properly in the living-room of the house that I am currently renovating which has taken me away from LaunchBox time-wise as of late. I am 37 and made the decision to not breed so Christmas is just another day for me...

• Like 2

Thanks and Happy Christmas or Yule to you all as well!

I wanted to ask you @Dane and @Lordmonkus about that friggin sweet looking Hori Fighter Commander, i've been drooling on it for several days now, I'm confused as I really want to buy it but having no analog sticks on it withholds me, ofcourse I could switch controllers for the type of games that require these but am having some (probably noob still) problems when connecting and disconnecting the controllers I have now with Mame, as soon as I plugged out one of these the controller mappings vanished into the digital cyber black hole, I have learned to set the default settings file to read only to prevent this from happening. Is there a way to easily swap controllers like you can on consoles for example without messing with different files? Seeing there are even more emulators out there than mame which I have to mess with in the future still, I am afraid I already know the answer to this. Any hints or experience shared on this matter is very welcome. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Thanks and Happy Christmas or Yule to you all as well!

I wanted to ask you @Dane and @Lordmonkus about that friggin sweet looking Hori Fighter Commander, i've been drooling on it for several days now, I'm confused as I really want to buy it but having no analog sticks on it withholds me, ofcourse I could switch controllers for the type of games that require these but am having some (probably noob still) problems when connecting and disconnecting the controllers I have now with Mame, as soon as I plugged out one of these the controller mappings vanished into the digital cyber black hole, I have learned to set the default settings file to read only to prevent this from happening. Is there a way to easily swap controllers like you can on consoles for example without messing with different files? Seeing there are even more emulators out there than mame which I have to mess with in the future still, I am afraid I already know the answer to this. Any hints or experience shared on this matter is very welcome. 

I use one of these, best of both worlds. A good dpad and anolog sticks.

71FslKfTvLL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.0ed6258d01633500acd41a003c5fa768.jpghttps://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-SF30-PRO-Bluetooth-Gamepad/dp/B0748S3GXG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545738140&sr=8-3&keywords=8bitdo+sf30+pro

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Ive been wanting this one as well for some time now, but I think its too small for my hands seeing as it misses palm grips also my brain is now set on 6 buttons layouts as well, don't know why I can't get rid of this urge though. Usually i'm not this indicisive, I also saw a great deal for a Hori Real Arcade Pro N, although I am doubting this one as well seeing I have to use it on my lap and will probably miss the d-pad, it's insane and laughable I guess but I can't decide, will save me some bucks though lmao.

1 hour ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Ive been wanting this one as well for some time now, but I think its too small for my hands seeing as it misses palm grips also my brain is now set on 6 buttons layouts as well, don't know why I can't get rid of this urge though. Usually i'm not this indicisive, I also saw a great deal for a Hori Real Arcade Pro N, although I am doubting this one as well seeing I have to use it on my lap and will probably miss the d-pad, it's insane and laughable I guess but I can't decide, will save me some bucks though lmao.

I was skeptical of them at first too. I have two now, one as pictured and one Super Game Boy style. I was surprised how comfy they are even when using the analogue sticks. If you enjoy using a SNES controller they will definitely feel second nature. Plus they are actually ever so slightly bigger than an official SNES controller, so for hands that have grown since childhood they are still really comfy.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nyukki said:

I was skeptical of them at first too. I have two now, one as pictured and one Super Game Boy style. I was surprised how comfy they are even when using the analogue sticks. If you enjoy using a SNES controller they will definitely feel second nature. Plus they are actually ever so slightly bigger than an official SNES controller, so for hands that have grown since childhood they are still really comfy.

Thanks man this does really help out making a descision! I would have liked the sf30 version like pictured above as I grew up with this style but I also like the one you mentioned is that the one in the link? Are there any differences between them? https://www.nedgame.nl/pc-gaming/8bitdo-sn30-pro-bluetooth-gamepad--g-classic-edition-/4068443854/

11 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I wanted to ask you @Dane and @Lordmonkus about that friggin sweet looking Hori Fighter Commander

It is definitely the best thing I have purchased for my setup. If it is not the best controller I have ever owned it is pretty damn close to it.

At first I hated the idea of not having a joystick as I used the X-Arcade Tankstick all the time but as soon as I held that sweet puppy in my hands I was in love. I just find it really comfortable in my hands, very responsive, solid/quality and having the ten buttons plus the other options it gave me everything I needed.

As for the 8Bitdo SF30 PRO, I have never used one before so cannot comment on it. I think it looks fantastic and if analogue sticks are your number one concern, it along with PS4 controllers (which I own 2) would be your best options. For me, what won me over with the Hori FC4 was the six button layout on the front. I love fighting games so much that it was my number one priority to have that layout. I remember hating the SNES controller back in the day purely because of the button layout regarding fighting games. However whoever grew up with the SNES (I had a Mega Drive) would be completely used to it I am sure.

If your first priority is analogue and they are a must have go with 8Bitdo SF30 PRO or PS4, if you can live without analogue Hori FC4 is the crème de la crème of all crème de la crèmes.

I do not unplug and plug in controllers and swap stuff around. If I were to I would just always make sure that you know what USB port you mapped it with as sometimes I have found that can effect it. With MAME map your buttons outside of LB/BB. Just open the emulator on its own, map the buttons via the menu, save and then close. I have found mapping MAME whilst it is open via LB/BB can result in losing the controls. I only really use MAME and Retroarch with the Hori FC4 so keeping things simple helps a lot to avoid gremlins playing with your setup.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Dane! So i've been doing a lot of thinking and going back and forth to almost purchasing the controllers but then started doubting again aarrgghh, the thing is I just want to buy em all lol but am in doubt how much work it would be everytime to switch to another controller as I'm still a bit of a noob to this. So I was lying in bed watching some ETA Prime videos and then it hit me, EUREKA! What if... (I really hope this can be done in at least mame and retro arch) mapping buttons of 2 different controllers to the same user buttons/actions? I know you can map different buttons to one action in mame but would it work for 2 different controllers? I'll try it out soon when I have the time but maybe someone here knows already if it can be done? I'm going to be a poor man if so haha Maybe you know @ETAPRIME? The video was unrelated though but it must have been a sign ;)

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

5 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

What if... (I really hope this can be done in at least mame and retro arch) mapping buttons of 2 different controllers to the same user buttons/actions?

Yes it can be done, I would just pick a dedicated USB port for each on your PC and not change them around to avoid potential gremlins paying you a visit.

I might very well do the same thing after I finish renovating my crappy house and then setup LB properly. I already have 2 x PS4 controllers and 1 x Hori FC4, so I just need 1 more Hori FC4 so then both players have the option of using either. Though I am most likely to just get another Hori FC4 and stick to those alone as analogue does not bother me too much because I am more likely to play older stuff. Saying that however, I recently obtained and added 1,310 PS2 games so the PS4 controllers would be neat. It would be fun to have every controller for each system but I favor and crave simplicity first and foremost so I will remain disciplined and resist any temptation to complicate things.

Speaking of setting things up, the mailman delivered this to me today. Now when I get to wall mounting the TV I can easily flip the TV to portrait for shmups.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dane said:

Yes it can be done, I would just pick a dedicated USB port for each on your PC and not change them around to avoid potential gremlins paying you a visit.

I might very well do the same thing after I finish renovating my crappy house and then setup LB properly. I already have 2 x PS4 controllers and 1 x Hori FC4, so I just need 1 more Hori FC4 so then both players have the option of using either. Though I am most likely to just get another Hori FC4 and stick to those alone as analogue does not bother me too much because I am more likely to play older stuff. Saying that however, I recently obtained and added 1,310 PS2 games so the PS4 controllers would be neat. It would be fun to have every controller for each system but I favor and crave simplicity first and foremost so I will remain disciplined and resist any temptation to complicate things.

Speaking of setting things up, the mailman delivered this to me today. Now when I get to wall mounting the TV I can easily flip the TV to portrait for shmups.

Damn sweet! then I'll get right on to it, I think this is the way to go then in terms of ease and simplicity; just pick up the controller of choice and you're ready to go :) I do hope however mapping 2 or more controllers to one user won't cause any input lag. Yeah the analog sticks are really handy, also in mame I use it a lot for games like driving or Smash TV! for example or just whenever it feels better than a d-pad, I'm having 2 Logitech F310's setup for a while now which are great as I like the analog sticks better on it then the Dual shock 4 has (dual shock 4 sticks seem to be over-responsive/loose not getting much accuracy out of it) but I don't like the D-pad much on the F310's and feel the constant need for 3 buttons next to each other for many arcade games, since I read that older thread of you and lordmonkus about the hori fc I can't get it out of my head lol I'll go buy the hori fc and wait till 8bitdo ships the snes/famicom colored controllers to my country as they are hard to get here, many seem to be over prized chinese knockoffs.

I love that wallmount idea! Please share photos or video when you're done setting it up, would also rock with pinball games! \m/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Damn sweet! then I'll get right on to it, I think this is the way to go then in terms of ease and simplicity; just pick up the controller of choice and you're ready to go :) I do hope however mapping 2 or more controllers to one user won't cause any input lag. Yeah the analog sticks are really handy, also in mame I use it a lot for games like driving or Smash TV! for example or just whenever it feels better than a d-pad, I'm having 2 Logitech F310's setup for a while now which are great as I like the analog sticks better on it then the Dual shock 4 has (dual shock 4 sticks seem to be over-responsive/loose not getting much accuracy out of it) but I don't like the D-pad much on the F310's and feel the constant need for 3 buttons next to each other for many arcade games, since I read that older thread of you and lordmonkus about the hori fc I can't get it out of my head lol I'll go buy the hori fc and wait till 8bitdo ships the snes/famicom colored controllers to my country as they are hard to get here, many seem to be over prized chinese knockoffs.

I love that wallmount idea! Please share photos or video when you're done setting it up, would also rock with pinball games! \m/

Good luck and keep us posted on how you find having multiple controllers for each user and what you think oof the ultra sexy Hori FC4, I am sure it will work out okay for you. Because I have not had a whole lot of experience with analogue sticks due to mostly being stuck in the past I cannot compare the PS4 ones to others but now you say that about the over-responsiveness I do agree. Maybe as well it is just because I am not used to them on account of the aforementioned but I do find them a bit loose and thus a bit awkward. For all I know though they are perfect with PS3/PS4 games but I have never played anything more modern than the PS2, the future scares me. If only they made the Hori Horipad 3 Turbo Plus a little wider with a six button face instead of the diamond shaped layout then everyone's problems would be solved and wrapped up into one completely and utterly perfect bundle. We should get a petition going to send to Hori. Screw Christmas, this is now officially a controller discussion thread.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dane said:

Good luck and keep us posted on how you find having multiple controllers for each user and what you think oof the ultra sexy Hori FC4, I am sure it will work out okay for you. Because I have not had a whole lot of experience with analogue sticks due to mostly being stuck in the past I cannot compare the PS4 ones to others but now you say that about the over-responsiveness I do agree. Maybe as well it is just because I am not used to them on account of the aforementioned but I do find them a bit loose and thus a bit awkward. For all I know though they are perfect with PS3/PS4 games but I have never played anything more modern than the PS2, the future scares me. If only they made the Hori Horipad 3 Turbo Plus a little wider with a six button face instead of the diamond shaped layout then everyone's problems would be solved and wrapped up into one completely and utterly perfect bundle. We should get a petition going to send to Hori. Screw Christmas, this is now officially a controller discussion thread.

I will keep you posted on the process! :) Yeah indeed the analog seems great for the ps4 itself with the dual shock 4 controllers, I might be alone in this but I do prefer the dual shock 3 (with rumble, making them a bit heavier) over dual shock 4 pure in terms of wider grips (my hands/fingers feel a bit too much folded around the thinner and rounder grips of 4) and placement of select and start buttons (really am not a fan of the touchpad and the harder to reach share and start buttons), the F310's feel more like the dual shock 3 controllers but is missing the very fine D-pad of the dual shocks, been loving the cross shaped arrow d-pad since the first playstation. (We might sound like wine tasters by now lmao) ps You should be scared of the future, those mobile phone thingers are really weird, I still don't use one and am not planning to. The horipad ex2 turbo seems great but is nowhere to be found in my country anymore. Hahaha yeah sorry for hijacking your christmas thread btw I started a new thread about controllers (and dreams) but Lordmonkus popped the dream very realistically lmao 

On 12/25/2018 at 10:41 PM, Mr. RetroLust said:

Thanks man this does really help out making a descision! I would have liked the sf30 version like pictured above as I grew up with this style but I also like the one you mentioned is that the one in the link? Are there any differences between them? https://www.nedgame.nl/pc-gaming/8bitdo-sn30-pro-bluetooth-gamepad--g-classic-edition-/4068443854/

Yep, that's the one. Functionwise they are identical. Only difference is the horizontal placing of the START/SELECT buttons instead of diagonal as on the original SNES controller, as well as the SGB version of the controller featuring a slight "grippy" texture on the D-pad, as is also found on a DMG-101 Game Boy.

One thing to note is the face buttons are a bit - how should I say - "clickety-clackety" compared to an original SNES or Super Famicom controller. When playing two-player button mashing fighters with my son the button mashing gets quite noisy. Other than that they are great controllers and I'm really pleased with them.

Edited by Nyukki
  • Thanks 1