LaunchBox Community Forums

Favorite/Best Shmups Discussion

flatuswalrus

2 hours ago, garbanzo said:

That's a bad example of a PC-Engine exclusive shmup though. There are dozens of shmups exclusive to that system, and some are very good. The one you picked is ranked second to last.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-turbografx-16-pc-engine-shmup-library-pt-1-exclusives

Yeah, I picked it mainly for comedic purposes. I know there are a lot of good shooters on gaming consoles. But the ratio of goodness definitely favours the arcades.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:15 AM, garbanzo said:

I really need to dig more into shmups from old PC systems. DOS, Amiga, C64, X68000... There's got to be some great stuff out there. I see a few on your list, so that's where I'll start.

As far as C64, specifically, all the ones I mentioned (and many more) are in my ongoing C64 Dreams project. Might want to check that out.

I plan on doing Amiga/DOS shmups collections for Zomb's Lair at some point.

I only just played Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer on the SEGA Mega Drive for the first time yester and holy poopcycles is it fantastic! I love how you can adjust your ships speed which is something I have not really seen before in other shooters. Also, in the options, before you play the game you have the ability to choose the behaviour of your gunners (side weapons). So it is quite 'customisable' for a 16-bit shooter and the graphics, music and level variety are all awesome too. Shame it was a Japanese exclusive back in the day, I reckon if I would have had it as a kid it would have blown me away.

Two more shooters I have recently discovered, on the Nintendo Famicom, that are great, are Uchuu Keibitai SDF and Formation Z. Formation Z is challenging but has become my favourite Famicom game. I love how at any time you can transform between a man/robot and a plane. It is so much fun!

Yeah, I love Gley Lancer! Really underrated imo. Really nice graphics and music, and even has some voice samples. Cool weapons too and, like you said, the added customization is nice. I always liked it in stuff like U.N. Squadron, X-Out, Gradius, etc. where you could sortof choose your weapons/loadout to suit your own taste.

13 minutes ago, garbanzo said:

OK now I have to try Gley Lancer.

I've been playing a lot of Twinkle Tale today (another Mega Drive exclusive). Horrible name, but such a great game. Check it out if you haven't yet.

Yes, you must try it. As for Twinkle Tale, it is a very attractive, unique and fun game for the Mega Drive and another Japanese exclusive we unfortunately initially missed out on gosh darn it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like rail shooters a lot... Panzer Dragoon games are my favorites.  For 2d shooters, there's so many good ones, it's hard to pick one or two, but I would have to throw a vote in for Radiant Silvergun, which blows me away each time I play it even if it is too hard for me.

3 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Crimzon Clover is on sale on Steam right now for 2$ for anyone interested.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/285440/Crimzon_Clover_WORLD_IGNITION/

Paying money for games? What is this strange notion you speak of? Like an amnesia sufferer, I am having flashbacks of a time where I exchanged money for games. Seriously though, that looks pretty cool. I had never heard of it before.

I looked at that list and had never seen the number one game, Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi. There is something about a lot of those post-2000s shmups such as DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou being the third game on the list where they just look too polished. They look too shiny and modern for me and despite whatever potential amazing gameplay, they may harbour my eyes just cannot get past the visuals which I do not like. I much prefer the more grittiness of regular DonPachi and DoDonPachi. Also, not surprising to see Battle Garegga at the number two spot as was previously discussed here how everyone seems to be a little obsessed over it. I will go through that list more because there is bound to be a few titles I have missed over the years.

I wouldn't say DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou is "polished", "shiny", or "modern" at all, it's not like it uses modern smooth hand drawn art, it's just a slightly more evolved DoDonPachi. I don't agree that Battle Garegga is over rated or over obsessed at all, the game play is very solid but I will agree that the small bullets that have a very similar colour as the backgrounds make it a bit difficult to enjoy.

The list is just that, a list that just happens to be tallied up and sorted based on what a bunch of hardcore shmup players that frequent those forums prefer. It's all about personal preference and opinions and like the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

I guess we are all different, my eyes see DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou in that category. I do think Battle Garegga is amazing besides the hard to see bullets, even though I know it was intentionally done. I just sometimes it is The Beetles of the shmup world where people love to praise it a little more than it deserves. Maybe I should not have used that Beetles analogy because that can evoke Beetles-rage depending who you talk to, haha.

screenshot_65.thumb.jpg.f72eae9f21cc9365516884d7f5936e81.jpgscreenshot_64.thumb.jpg.f9c84b22838d8cf7ac3ba5e35ee07692.jpgAgain, I don't see that level of "shiny" and "polish" you are talking about. Sure the graphics and art evolved some but it was a giant leap to the modern smooth hand drawn style of art like you see in some newer shmups. Ikuaruga has a more modern and "shiny" style and no one has every complained about it.
Ikaruga-Dreamcast-Chapter-2-Boss.jpg

Dreamcast screenshot.