LaunchBox Community Forums

Favorite/Best Shmups Discussion

flatuswalrus

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, Barry1983 said:

I think they are all style and no substance.

Just out of curiosity but what do you consider to be "substance" in a SHMUP ? What is it that all your games listed has that all of the Cave games are missing in terms or "substance" ?

We aren't talking about a genre of games where there is typically an in depth story or RPG mechanics or even a progression system. SHMUPs are at their very heart "dodge bullets and shoot things" games, nothing more.

Of course we all have our preference and not all Cave games are great or even good but to throw them all in a pile say they have "no substance" I think deserves some sort of explanation as to why you think that. After all several of their games are consistently voted in the top 25 games over on the shmups.system11 forums and those are some pretty serious lovers of the genre.

• Game On 2

9 minutes ago, garbanzo said:

I don't like Cave shmups either. Not because they lack substance - they're just too damn hard ?

That's a legit reason but I would suggest to give the first DonPachi a try, it's relatively accessible. Deathsmiles isn't terribly difficult either, I can get through the first 3 or sometimes 4 levels without dying, after that though is where it starts to mug me for my quarters.

To be fair to the Cave games though, they do tend to have a "gimmick" that when properly used you can get through those "impossible" spots.

I am discovering that I am a fan of this type of game. I always got the wrong impression of the genre because of bullet hells, which is a strand I don't like.

One of my favorites at the moment is River Raid that I picked up to show my dad who played a lot when he was younger. I loved the game and started getting more interested in the genre. Although I love River Raid, I didn't like the sequel, also Atari, River Raid II.

Stopping to think about my childhood, I also really enjoyed playing the Space Impact I had on Nokia phones.

• 8 months later...

1942 is the most popular and highest trending game on the new MAME High Scores feature. I had definitely played it before but as a result of the aforementioned I have been playing it more, trying to better my score. It is such  a simple shmup as far as shmups go, at least it seems that way. It is so frustrating because it looks so simple yet I die so easily. I mean, there are never really any more than five relatively slow moving enemy bullets on the screen at one time compared to the bullet hell shmups that I love but I feel I am better at those than 1942. I am respecting 1942 more as I play it more. It is like shmup purity.

Edited by flatuswalrus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...