LaunchBox Community Forums

Setting up Philips CD-i with MAME

DerekWorld

On 2/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, harryoke said:

my bin/cue files never worked with mess , needed to convert to chd to get them to boot

I used MESS 0.161 and bin/cues work fine. The only problem I ran into was a Digital Video Cartridge error which I at first assumed was related to not being in the right format. But it seems this is an unsupported function necessary to run certain CD-i games. Coincidentally, the games that won't run are the ones I want to play. C'est la vie.

So thanks to this thread, I finally decided to give the CD-i another try, and it worked! On the other hand, when I opened up Wand of Gamelon & the Zelda's adventure, they both gave me this message. Should I worry about it, or is it standard? Haven't had any issues with it yet, but I wanted to double check.

Also, does this work with Retroarch in any way, or just MAME?

image.thumb.png.13b35a368eb7ccb6428434868a876b12.png

• Like 1

That is just a standard message saying that there are known issues with the emulation. The Mame devs put that sort of message on lesser well emulated systems so that end users are aware that there are issues before coming to them saying "hey, your emulation is wrong here".

• 1 month later...

I had forgotten just how terrible CD-i was.  I had it when it was current, dad thought the software was total garbage, unloaded the unit onto a cousin I didn't really like and got a 3DO.  Even though both the CD-i and 3DO (and Amiga CD32) were all out about the same time, the CD-i was being pulled off the shelves within a couple of months.  The terrible software was only matched by the terrible hardware.  I hadn't gotten this working until now, and have already deleted it.  Had bought the unit specifically for Dragon's Lair - which required the hardware addon - no sale.

3DO was much much better, tons more software and usually games were in the $25 range, while the CD-i was more it the $35-40 range.  Out of the 3 I preferred the Amiga CD32 (Had an original launch A1000 and later an A500 and eventually an A1200 - along with several iterations of the Atari ST including the Falcon 030).  At any rate, a kick in the groin was preferable to dealing with a CD-i.

4 minutes ago, Deicidium said:

I had forgotten just how terrible CD-i was.  I had it when it was current, dad thought the software was total garbage, unloaded the unit onto a cousin I didn't really like and got a 3DO.  Even though both the CD-i and 3DO (and Amiga CD32) were all out about the same time, the CD-i was being pulled off the shelves within a couple of months.  The terrible software was only matched by the terrible hardware.  I hadn't gotten this working until now, and have already deleted it.  Had bought the unit specifically for Dragon's Lair - which required the hardware addon - no sale.

3DO was much much better, tons more software and usually games were in the $25 range, while the CD-i was more it the $35-40 range.  Out of the 3 I preferred the Amiga CD32 (Had an original launch A1000 and later an A500 and eventually an A1200 - along with several iterations of the Atari ST including the Falcon 030).  At any rate, a kick in the groin was preferable to dealing with a CD-i.

I actually like this era of gaming. I know the systems may have not been the best but they are very interesting to look at through emulation. I never had these systems so I spend a good deal of time on 3DO. I would like to do the same with the CDi when and if emulation progresses.

Around this time period, I had a 486 "multimedia" PC, so my CD-ROM needs were met, but I was curious about what games I was missing out on. These days, it's more about seeing how each system handled their interface & design, or how the PC ports were handled (like the 3DO Need For Speed port). I feel like it's impossible to get the full CD-i experience without having to put up with the awful controller, on top of everything else (not  sure how those Gravis gamepad looking ones are, but the stock spoon thing looks awful for games). 

I remember condescendingly writing off the Playstation as another electronics company failing at entering the video game console market when it was announced, all because of Panasonic & Phillips not quite getting it right (or getting it all wrong, depending). I'm usually pretty good at predicting how these things will turn out, but I was dead wrong about that one!

3 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Around this time period, I had a 486 "multimedia" PC, so my CD-ROM needs were met, but I was curious about what games I was missing out on. These days, it's more about seeing how each system handled their interface & design, or how the PC ports were handled (like the 3DO Need For Speed port). I feel like it's impossible to get the full CD-i experience without having to put up with the awful controller, on top of everything else (not  sure how those Gravis gamepad looking ones are, but the stock spoon thing looks awful for games). 

I remember condescendingly writing off the Playstation as another electronics company failing at entering the video game console market when it was announced, all because of Panasonic & Phillips not quite getting it right (or getting it all wrong, depending). I'm usually pretty good at predicting how these things will turn out, but I was dead wrong about that one!

I had 486 as well. I remember playing Tetris on it. Good times.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I just gave this system a shot and couldn't get bin/cue working either, until I took a look at Hotel Mario's cue sheet and noticed the cue that come with it and any CDi games from the redump set look a bit different. Where I expected to see "TRACK 01 MODE2/2352" I instead saw  "TRACK 01 CDI/2352"

So I tried replacing this line in the sheet and now it and every other CDI game I have loads up just fine in MAME.

Edited by Alopex

3 minutes ago, Alopex said:

I just gave this system a shot and couldn't get bin/cue working either, until I took a look at Hotel Mario's cue sheet and noticed the cue that come with it and any CDi games from the redump set look a bit different. Where I expected to see "TRACK 01 MODE2/2352" I instead saw  "TRACK 01 CDI/2352"

So I tried replacing this line in the sheet and now it and every other CDI game I have loads up just fine in MAME.

huh! That was clever of you to change that. I would have never thought of that. Fortunately, it has been working for me, although, tbh, I still haven't even played any of the games beyond going, "Well, that works!". Maybe that's something I can mess around with tomorrow.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can't seem to get Mutant Rampage to work though it hangs on a black screen after the Phillips logo, but I'm assuming that's down to compatibility issues in the MAME core. Pity as that's the CD-i game I've always wanted to try the most.

There was a game or two that I tried, but couldn't get working (don't remember the title). Never tried Mutant Rampage, but the game that wouldn't work for me would also hang, although I think that was after selecting English or Spanish (if I recall correctly). Dunno what the possible issue(s) could be, unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, Alopex said:

Unfortunately I can't seem to get Mutant Rampage to work though it hangs on a black screen after the Phillips logo, but I'm assuming that's down to compatibility issues in the MAME core. Pity as that's the CD-i game I've always wanted to try the most.

I just tried it, and after pressing "Play" on the CD-I menu, it just crashes. Not sure what the issue is either.

Mutant Rampage isn't supported in MAME (yet?)  

<software name="mutntrap" supported="no">
  <disk name="mutant rampage - bodyslam (1994)(philips)(eu)[!][dvc]">

<software name="mutntrapu" cloneof="mutntrap" supported="no">
  <disk name="mutant rampage - bodyslam (1994)(philips)(us)[dvc]">

Where as Hotel Mario [and others] are.

• Thanks 1

Basically, anything requiring the DVC (Digital Video Cartridge) in MAME  is not supported because they haven't emulated the DVC add-on module (MPEG decoder).  The current v219 set naming for the CHDs uses [dvc] in the file name if it needs the module, ~177 non-working (but includes multiple versions/regions of same game).

Added a list I have of the v219 CHDs that are DVC. 219 MAME DVC List.txt

Edited by sundogak
Added List
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 2:13 AM, Lordmonkus said:

Ok, I notice you have both Arcade and the CD-i in your associated platforms, are you using that Mame emulator entry for your arcade stuff as well ? If so set up a different entry because they have different check box requirements in Launchbox.

This is my Arcade Mame entry in LB:

screenshot_108.thumb.jpg.e33b614d07c988d63e2b1ff455435311.jpgAnd this one below is my Console Mame entry in LB:

screenshot_107.thumb.jpg.0384dd54a8d8f55bd3d3aec0409e9448.jpgNotice I have none of the boxes checked for the Console entry.

Thank you LordMonkus. I had the same problem as the OP, and your solution fixed it. Much appreciated.