LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

Whatever is happening is an issue with your system. There's something seriously wrong with your system if 1) it's not restoring the native resolution when exiting and frankly if 2) you need to reduce the resolution to 1920x1080 to begin with. It sounds like your CPU isn't really up to par, as that's what audio problems generally indicate. You could try changing video_threaded to "true" which reduces hardware demands but increases input latency. All the other included settings that are relevant (hard sync, vrr runloop, and frame delay) are defaulted to their least-demanding values unless you've changed them. Beyond that the only thing I could suggest is to try changing the video driver setting to vulkan. If you do that though none of the shaders included in the configurator will work other than the Mega Bezel ones - which you absolutely should not use if you're having performance problems even without them - this means that you wouldn't have access to even the color-corrections shader, so everything would look a bit off, so I wouldn't exactly recommend that.

Try video_threaded = "true" and stop messing with the resolution settings. Start there.

...and in the long term get a better CPU.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, all I can tell you is that something you've done during that process is wrong. I can't tell you what that is because I don't know what you have or haven't done.

Many users import the collection into their own libraries without issue using those same instructions. You could always use it in the standalone library as provided.

Then there's something even more dramatically wrong with your system or files. I don't know if you've moved something you shouldn't have, didn't extract the entire archive, have a corrupted archive, have antivirus software that's interfering, have some other unknown software that's interfering. You've given me very little information so there isn't much I can tell you. You download the 7z, extract it wherever you want, start Launchbox.exe. That's literally the entire "setup" process. If that doesn't work, there's a problem with the archive that you downloaded, your system, the software that you're running, or some combination thereof. But again, the extent of the instructions to simply use this as intended is 1) download C64 Dreams v0.60.7z 2) extract it wherever you want (except for Program Files) 3) go into the extracted folder and start Launchbox.exe. That's it.

I think EXodos v6 currpted my launchbox but i have exodos working. C64Dreams has no pictures that show up and nothing seems to work in my current build but works as the stand alone build now. I just do not know how to compined my build with the c64build again without screweing something up. 

9 hours ago, paulitix said:

Should we be updating the Launchbox or leaving it at 13.3 b4 ?

It should be okay to update. Just make sure that you've also using the hotfix for C64 Dreams from 6/5/23 as it fixes one of the included plugins so that it will work with newer versions of Launchbox.

• 3 weeks later...

Mega Bezel is already included. I have a couple different options for screens and bezels that can be used in the Configurator (C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Configurator.exe). You will need to use one of the listed options as the aspect ratio will be incorrect otherwise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Zombeaver First post from me, mainly to appreciate your hard work and devotion. C64 occupies a huge part of my early memories, so this is absolute gold!

Are you still accepting requests for the next update? If so, I'd love to see Pieces II (Protovision) and Space Station 23 (Vector 5 Games) added. They've taken up plenty of my free time recently, and would be worthy additions...

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, DCX918 said:

@Zombeaver First post from me, mainly to appreciate your hard work and devotion. C64 occupies a huge part of my early memories, so this is absolute gold!

Are you still accepting requests for the next update? If so, I'd love to see Pieces II (Protovision) and Space Station 23 (Vector 5 Games) added. They've taken up plenty of my free time recently, and would be worthy additions...

Thanks again!

Yes, I always accept requests for subsequent releases. Space Station 23 is actually already in the current WIP for the next version. I'll add Pieces II to the list as well. Glad you've enjoyed C64 Dreams!

• Like 1

I've imported c64 Dreams into my Exodos LB setup. Exodos, Apple II etc are working fine, but somehow I've doubled up the c64 dreams Platform Categories (e.g. Diskmags, Games is in twice). I think this is because I ran it from another folder with C64 Dreams before I copied the files and xml data over. What should I be checking here to amend this. The images also don't load up, they are somehow assigned to the wrong place...

• 2 months later...

Hi - great work! Just to let you know you might also want to post some advice on where to put the original downloaded folder. I had mine deep in my file system and was getting unzip errors saying it couldn't find certain files. Typically, they were files with long filenames. An example problem file:

C:\Users\admin\Projects\C64 Dreams\Original Download\c64-dreams-v0.60\C64 Dreams v0.60.7z\C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Demoscene\Christmas Megademo - Atlantis+Bonzai+Genesis Project+Lethargy+Offence

It's likely to do with filepath lengths. I moved it to near my C : root and no more problems. Bit of a gotcha!

Thanks  for what you've done here - it's an amazing piece of work. 

EDIT: Had this same problem even when moved - think it's hitting the WinApi max file length of 260:

C:\temp\project tests\C64DreamsImporter\c64-dreams-v0.60\C64 Dreams v0.60\C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Retroarch\shaders\Mega_Bezel_Packs\TheNamec-Commodore\presets\Commodore_Amiga1200Synth\Commodore_C1201-Amber\NMC_SHARP_SMOOTH-SCALEFX\FULLDEVICE_CURVED_NIGHT.slangp

Edited by stigzler

C64 Dreams Importer

Loved this so much, thought I'd contribute. I've knocked together a tool to make importing this into existing Launchbox installations easier. You basically just plug in your Launchbox Directory and the parent 'C64 Dreams' folder and hit "Install." It'll move all the files and update Launchbox's xml files for you. It can also import the latest hotfix file and magazine pack. Screenie:

image.thumb.png.9f8d5028b6d2981eb414a32165529373.png

It has checks and balances to make sure you don't install the wrong files and also back up the Launchbox xml files. Here's a vid of it in action:

I've attached the zip with the app. You can also view the source code, or download and build yourself here: 

https://github.com/stigzler/C64DreamsImporter

Have fun and make sure you keep up with the  image.png.29ffa71051ab4e8b506b9ce881e13cfe.pngommodore.

Updates

V1.0.1 - Added detailed logging around import process which highlights any errors. 

C64DreamsImporter.zip

Edited by stigzler
Updated to V1.0.1
  • Like 3