LaunchBox Community Forums

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

Zombeaver

Quick note, I just made a stealth update to the hotfix. Same filename/link. Newer version was uploaded at 6:18PM EST. It fixed a very minor issue introduced with the original upload if you happened to be using any of the backgrounds by TheNamec.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:21 AM, Zombeaver said:

Instructions are in this post.

What would be the best way to update from a previously integrated C64Dreams version? I believe I would first have to delete the platforms, playlists and categories from Launchbox completely before integrating the new collection right?

1 hour ago, SiriusVI said:

What would be the best way to update from a previously integrated C64Dreams version? I believe I would first have to delete the platforms, playlists and categories from Launchbox completely before integrating the new collection right?

That would be my suggestion, yes. You'll want to delete the previous C64 Dreams folder as well as the relevant image folders too i.e. not overwrite on top because overwriting wouldn't address any files that were outright removed in the update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, eido said:

Outstanding work but for some reason I can't access Retroarch from ingame, F1 menu, change volume, double Escape to quit etc. Retroarch Game Focus isn't active either.

That's because you have to hold down the enable hotkey button for those functions to work - F1, ESC, etc. are used in the C64 emulation itself, so to use RetroArch's hotkeys instead you have to hold down the enable hotkey key. It's Numpad Minus. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 4:53 AM, Timber_Wolf7284 said:

There seems to be problem with the music... it doesn't play and if you look in the Gamedetails you'll see that the music entry under media is empty. Did i something wrong while importing it into my existing C64 dreams?

Based on your description, yes. You have to import the music files too.

On 6/26/2023 at 4:20 AM, oniotaku said:

Thanks, I got C64 dreams and exodos combined into my launchbox build.

You could make a guide too. :)

Guides are never enough for people that really need to pay attention to detail.

• Like 1

As someone who was completely overwhelmed with trying to understand Commodore 64 emulation, I simply can't thank you enough for this. This is an incredible project.

I am having one small issue, though. Whenever I use the Back+Start combo to toggle the graphic of the controller mappings, it displays for a second but then RetroArch instantly shuts down. It's almost like it's doubling as a "Quit RetroArch" hotkey, for some reason.

I haven't messed with the configuration, as far as I can tell (unless I have somehow done so by accident).

I am using a DualShock 4 controller with DS4Windows running (which makes Windows recognise it as an Xbox controller).

Any suggestions?

Edited by KawaiiKuroki
Fixed typo

On 7/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, KawaiiKuroki said:

As someone who was completely overwhelmed with trying to understand Commodore 64 emulation, I simply can't thank you enough for this. This is an incredible project.

Sorry had to comment this and is in no way a criticism, just making conversation...

...C64 emulation (in virtually any other stronger platform) is always one of the most elaborate efforts (given the publicity of the original machine). We are blessed with fantastic super-easy emulators nowadays that are virtually "click and there is your C64" or even "drag n drop this to run" (for people that don't remember the original machine so well). WAY better than some more obscure machines you have to be a computer alchemist to satisfy their prereqs.

You get WinUAE (if on Windows for example), you are done.
That's Just one of the many options (and probably the easiest for a user - before using a build like C64 Dreams - and most elaborate project).

Of course C64 Dreams is all that you say it is.
Hope it reaches 1.0 "this lifetime" :D (because you know, I am not sure I care if it reaches 1.0 when my own kids are adults) and we can then see a nice real Amiga Dreams.
(not based on GameBase Amiga - preferably on AmigaVision/MegaAGS or DamienD collection)
I do understand Zomb of course, he doesn't want to water down the quality and wants to do this at his own pace as a hobby that this is (we all have RL).
(note there is an Amiga Dreams, by someone else, but in no way with the level of detail of this project)

13 minutes ago, NLS said:

Sorry had to comment this and is in no way a criticism, just making conversation...

...C64 emulation (in virtually any other stronger platform) is always one of the most elaborate efforts (given the publicity of the original machine). We are blessed with fantastic super-easy emulators nowadays that are virtually "click and there is your C64" or even "drag n drop this to run" (for people that don't remember the original machine so well). WAY better than some more obscure machines you have to be a computer alchemist to satisfy their prereqs.

You get WinUAE (if on Windows for example), you are done.
That's Just one of the many options (and probably the easiest for a user - before using a build like C64 Dreams - and most elaborate project).

Of course C64 Dreams is all that you say it is.
Hope it reaches 1.0 "this lifetime" :D (because you know, I am not sure I care if it reaches 1.0 when my own kids are adults) and we can then see a nice real Amiga Dreams.
(not based on GameBase Amiga - preferably on AmigaVision/MegaAGS or DamienD collection)
I do understand Zomb of course, he doesn't want to water down the quality and wants to do this at his own pace as a hobby that this is (we all have RL).
(note there is an Amiga Dreams, by someone else, but in no way with the level of detail of this project)

Totally. I don't mean to disrespect all of the efforts made into making C64 emulation possible and as accessible as it is. I should specify that the more overwhelming part, to me, was knowing which games to start with (in a 30,000+ software library) and where to acquire them. For example, I personally found it a nightmare navigating through the TOSEC collection as a newbie; it's wonderful that we have such a comprehensive archive of these games available, but I had no idea which file types and which versions of each game to use. On the other hand, the No-Intro collection seems VERY incomplete. It's a similar case with most retro computer system libraries, though, compared to console emulation which is mostly very straightforward.

I also struggled with understanding how a lot of the individual games work (which is more of a personal issue having not grown up with the system), so I'm really pleased with how Zombeaver addressed that with his custom controller bindings.

• Like 1

New TOSEC is coming in the next few days btw.
(I should know, I am part of the team - although not contributing much nowadays)

Right now and verified by me (that I consider myself rather knowledgeable about C64 and its emulation status), C64 can very well be the most "practically" complete C64 collection. It does have 99% of "what matters" (in games).

An interesting other project is OneLoad64, that is not a front-end build, but a nice collection of actual software easy to run (as they are all transformed to "cartridges"). Zomb and OL64 guy, actually collaborate too.

Edited by NLS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1